Author Topic: Have a bowl of this then....  (Read 10539 times)

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
Have a bowl of this then....
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:08:58 pm »
My missus wants me to buy a new motorcycle.....but I really,really don't know whether I want one :-\.
I've already got too many....not all up and running,I'll admit,but several of them are...taxed,tested,insured,I can go out there,fire up anything from a 1965 Bantam to my K1300GT,and take it for for a spin...and if I'm honest I was looking to get rid of a few,especially those that require my attention and any kind of tool box action.
She's not given me a budget,so,(within reason),I can have what I want.
I've kind of looked at what's out there,half heartedly...but theres just nothing that stands out and says,"buy me...go on,you know you want me".
This kind of encouragement has never come my way before,and it's unlikely to be repeated.
Wtf is wrong with me all of a sudden?

Lifes a bitch.And then you die.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Have a bowl of this then....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:24:59 pm »
There are two related but dissimilar things at work here Lance.

The first is that you are old and beyong reason. Unfortunately this will only get worse and is untreatable.

The second is that you already have the ultimate sports-tourer and like many similar souls in here, there is nowhere to go.

Brian (who is really glad he doesn't have a wife nagging him to get another bike with no limits to bugdet  :-\ )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:53:27 pm »
Have a good think Lance.  ;)

Either you have been a good boy or she has been a naughty girl  :o
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:04:42 am »
Yeah, you well Insured? Check the new bike before every journey ;D.  In fact, check em all
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:37 pm »
Are you looking for a genuine go anywhere bike which is a bit different? I had a decent test ride yesterday on the CCM GP450 Adventure. Full range of roads, some green lanes, managed everything easily. Comfortable, decent range, just a bit pricey. Went to "support" a friend, he bought one!
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
I admire your restraint!

Brian (who never goes anywhere to 'support a friend' as he always ends up spending more money that the friend  >:( )

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:48:53 pm »
Are you looking for a genuine go anywhere bike which is a bit different? I had a decent test ride yesterday on the CCM GP450 Adventure. Full range of roads, some green lanes, managed everything easily. Comfortable, decent range, just a bit pricey. Went to "support" a friend, he bought one!
I  looked at those at the NEC last year,but a "friend",told me that the engine is out of the BMW dirt bike,(G450X?),and wasn't particularly long lasting.....durable...whatever...not sure that he was being completely honest as he does a lot of work on KTM and might have been looking for my business.
Anyway,I'm not that bothered about another dirt bike,I have an old air cooled KDX250 awaiting my attention,*sigh*...thats the trouble,I'm not getting turned on by anything new...the only thing I'd really like to own is a Rob North framed Rocket III/Trident or an RD500 or an H1R or a..(you get the picture)....and she ain't gonna go for that because I would want it in the house..... where I could admire it...and love it.....and cherish it.... :-[

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 10:07:17 pm »
Of the crowd of guys I've grown up with I'm the only one that still rides a bike on the road on a regular basis but all the others are up too their necks in motorcycles and all things linked to them particularly collectors stuff you'll get a Rob North triple or an RD 500 without too much hassle unless you want one cheap!!! an H1R them blimey you really will be putting your hand in your pocket if you can find a genuine one,I know where John Newbold's TR750 Suzuki is rebuilt and ready to go but you'll be looking at 40 grand.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:10:56 pm »
You could paint the garage pink and see if the good lady fancied moving in there instead of your bikes.

No?

Brian (who doesn't have a garage or a generous wife but the lady in his life would certainly notice if he changed the bike she doesn't go on)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 10:17:22 pm »
Gene Romero's Daytona winning TZ being warmed up by me at the Spa Classic a couple of years ago which has since been sold,actually you can see Newbolds bike at the back of the garage I took those two and an RG500 over in my van and I would point out their not mine.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:19:15 pm by chriscanning »

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 08:27:05 pm »
Of the crowd of guys I've grown up with I'm the only one that still rides a bike on the road on a regular basis but all the others are up too their necks in motorcycles and all things linked to them particularly collectors stuff you'll get a Rob North triple or an RD 500 without too much hassle unless you want one cheap!!! an H1R them blimey you really will be putting your hand in your pocket if you can find a genuine one,I know where John Newbold's TR750 Suzuki is rebuilt and ready to go but you'll be looking at 40 grand.
I was offered a really nice Rob North Trident a couple of years ago for not-mega money,but the missus gave me one of those "old-fashioned",looks that can curdle milk/terrify a nephew.
I know I've queered my pitch a bit already with ersatz race bikes,as I have a 1972 Kawa 500 triple that was production raced,(I have plenty of pics of it in action), until the Owner-builder retired...I got my sticky paws on it and put it in the hands of a,"professional",race-bike restorer...not one of my better decisions I'll admit.
After too many thousands of pounds went his way,I have the bike at the back of my barn,now registered/covered up/never ridden it...owned the damn thing for  five or six years,can't bear to even look at it,it pisses me off that much.
I really don't know what I'll end up with,if anything

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »
We were down at the Aragon GP the end of 2013 had a great conversation with the Spanish guy who owned this he lives in Santander.

Re your Kawasaki in 72 only guy that springs to mind is Ray Knight but you'll have to post a photo of it still highly collectable.

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 09:20:42 pm »
We were down at the Aragon GP the end of 2013 had a great conversation with the Spanish guy who owned this he lives in Santander.

Re your Kawasaki in 72 only guy that springs to mind is Ray Knight but you'll have to post a photo of it still highly collectable.
T'was a feller from Luton name of John Judge,used to own a shop in Hastings Street called RGM Racing.
I've put loads of pics of it on t'interweb,both of him in action on it and how it is now...I don't care for it as it is now,it should have come back to me in period livery/with period sponsor stickers etc...should spend even more dough on it I suppose and get it to look how I wanted it to,otherwise I'll get the arse one day and cut it up for brackets  :'(

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 09:15:43 pm »
I'm narrowing the potentials down a bit.
Today I've been to Balderstons to arrange test rides on a K1600GT and a R1200GSA,maybe a 1200RT if they can get one in.All booked for next Friday,weather permitting.
(This Friday or Saturday it's Pure Triumph for a try-out on a Trophy SE and then the 1200 Explorer XC).
Still not 100% convinced I really want anything but what the hey,a mans got to at least try take advantage of these moments in life.
As Brian stated earlier,when I already own possibly the best touring motorcycle ever built,another bike has really got to stand out to improve on it..."Bigger...Better...Faster....More!..."
And the sun is shining!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 02:43:08 pm »
Hey why don you try the BMW900T model, its a change from big bikes to the new naked ''women collectors'' new type bikes.
Embrace the wind.