Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 25470 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 07:22:27 am »
Will answer this on behalf of 23 owners of my local club: unfortunately none, wish it was deferent,  165€ is the price we pay here for the damn pads.
Embrace the wind.

Offline AndyLP

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 07:56:56 am »
Will answer this on behalf of 23 owners of my local club: unfortunately none, wish it was deferent,  165€ is the price we pay here for the damn pads.

I wish it was different too  :'( 

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 10:34:23 am »
I've now ordered some TRW Lucas pads, I had them on my R1 with no complaints so will give some feedback once they arrive and I've run them in a little.....4 pads for the price of 2 OEM so we will see
 ::)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 11:59:04 am »
I use EBC HH pads on all my bikes when required. I have had none of the nightmare scenerios as above with them at all. I have found, without exception, all of them better than stock, be it on a Suzuki, BM, Kawasaki or for that matter Honda. However I do not think heavy braking in a car or motobike is the way to go on the road, it is frenetic and unnessesary. Ok on the Nurburgring. However I do regularly brake test and emergency stop both my Cars and Bikes from differing speeds, on the bikes in particular I test the ABS in the wet and also now and again in suitable conditions on bends strighten the bike up and throw the anchors on. 

As an aside regular brake testing a modern car is nessesary to get the rear brakes on sufficiently to keep them clear of corrosion, and at slowish speeds for the same reason apply the handbrake. (like Brian states below check manual first, other handbrakes are available !)

JS
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:56:23 pm by JackSnipe »
JS

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 03:44:45 pm »
You'll get a bloody great surprise if you try that with an electronic handbrake unless you have studied the manual (cars have manuals I hear you ask). Iwouldn't want to try it on the Audi, way too complicated for my pea-like.

Even the bloody hazard flashers have a life of their own.

My all-time favourite hooligan moment is at the dead of night, Sunday, A339 south into Newbury, Vodaphone roundabout. Really heavy braking, use the whole of my carriageway, snake the damn thing through and give it some welly to the 50 limit sign (30 metres  :( ) .

The first time I nailed the brakes, the hazard flashers came on all by themselves and I spent the next five minutes pootling trough the town poking the hazard button randomly trying to turn the damn things off. Of course, half the time I was turning them back on cos they eventually go off by themselves after (what the car thought was) an emergency stop!

Brian (who read the bookwhen he got home but can't remember what it said  ::) )

howlindawg

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 08:39:45 pm »
I used EBC HH pads on the K1200s (servo brakes).
I had no problems with them on the front and felt that the braking was better than OEM.
However the rears were too grabby so I went back to stock.

I didn't experience any issues with excessive wear, scoring or corrosion to the discs.

I'm still running the original pads on the K1300s so am watching this discussion with interest.

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 05:20:15 pm »
I've now ordered some TRW Lucas pads, I had them on my R1 with no complaints so will give some feedback once they arrive and I've run them in a little.....4 pads for the price of 2 OEM so we will see
 ::)

Just a little feedback, pads arrived next day so fitted them straight away and gave calipers a spring clean  :)  after 3 days use (no rain) I'm really pleased with them, great bite and feel and silent operation even without a shim on the rear, these are the non-sintered pads so hopefully no dramatic wear on my discs either, also they are painted black so don't stand out once fitted into caliper, 2 pairs of pads for £54 with free next day delivery so I'm a happy bunny....

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 06:56:18 pm »
I have just been robbed by the local BMW stealer £119 for front pads. I even phoned another dealer thinking a mistake had been made, Balderstons, and they were the same price.
I have heard all sorts od stories about non BMW pads and the excessive wear that might occur with sintered pads.
I found Brembo sintered at £59.97 including VAT and postage. Half price.
I also found a post on the I-K American site where one poster reckons the Brembo pads were better than OEM and didn't cause any adverse wear to the disks. http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=601136 post 3.
Do I take them back and try for a refund and buy the sintered Brembo equivalent or stay with the expensive OEM pads?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 10:38:42 pm »
Depends if you want to live or have your benefiniaries sue the local dealer  ::)

Brian (who thinks it implausible that anyone would baulk at the cost of a set of front pads, which stop you, safely, from any speed, when they happily pay a quarter of the price for a tankfull of 5* which only propels you forward at hyper-speed, requiring really GREAT brake pads  :o )

PS A beer to the first person who can work out the saving on the cost of a set of after-market pads that work, against the cost of a set of BMW pads amortised over the life of the pads in terms of the increase in the price of every single gallon of fuel used during their life.

PPS C'mon, it can't be that hard Tim!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:45:00 pm by Phmode »

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 12:30:42 pm »
You're teasing us asking for the impossible.
If someone can produse pads that brake and stop bike on track to the same or at list similar distancr by 20-50cm with the OEM (made by BREMBO but not sold directly to costumers ), then  would be the first to buy them.
The good news are that now that K production has seezed,  soon the exclusive contracts like this one will expire,  now if the pads would be availiable with this compound by BREMBO to market is to be found.
Embrace the wind.

Offline AndyLP

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 02:30:09 pm »
I have caved in and bought OEM Pads for now.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 05:50:25 pm »
Fitted my OEM pads today.
I wonder how long they will last?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 09:46:56 pm »
As
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:43:10 pm by Phmode »
Embrace the wind.

howlindawg

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 10:46:55 pm »
I changed the tyres on the K1300S over the weekend (Pilot Road 4) and swapped out the rear pads while I had the wheel off.
Fitted the Carbone Lorraine RX3 pads as recommended and once they bedded in they're quite impressive.

They bite progressively, are quiet and easily powerful enough to match the fronts.

New rubber and brakes - there's nothing like it to rejuvenate a bike. :)

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 07:16:57 am »
Again, I can only say how it was for me. I saved approximately �300 by fitting Carbonne Lorraine XBK5  to the front of the GT at 24K miles. The bike had gone through 2 sets of OE pads by then, 12K each on the dot.  The CL pads lasted another 36k miles and the discs were still (Just) within spec. The rears were a different matter and no pad I tried lasted more than 10 - 12k including 2 sets of OE, 1 EBC (5k miles!!!!) and another 2 sets of CL A3+ compound. Remember though I was using the bike almost like a DR with lots of town work and filtering where I tend to use the rear brake a fair bit.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:42:06 pm by Phmode »
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.