Author Topic: PR3 tyres wearing out very quickly  (Read 14313 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
PR3 tyres wearing out very quickly
« on: July 21, 2015, 07:47:58 pm »
I'm amazed to find that the PR3 tyres that I fitted, before going to the Picos, are now worn out.

I did 2,714 miles on the Picos trip. They have only lasted for 3,000 miles which is roughly half the mileage that I normally get out of PR3s. I was taking it relatively easy on holiday because of the overheating problem keeping top speed in the 70s.

I normally find that I tend to get punctures when the tyres are worn and I had a puncture in the rear last week. Wear on the front tyre would indicate that I must be cornering more aggresively on right handers.

They were very cheap from Tyreleader at £169 for the pair.

Were they from a duff batch? Were they not stored properly? Have the Spanish/French roads become more abbrasive?

A mystery???

I did enjoy wearing them out though.  ::)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: PR3 tyres wearing out very quickly
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 08:00:32 pm »
Always found tyre wear when travelling Europe is a totally different ball,we have a decent run round the block on September and if we go on the K I'll scrub a new set of tyres in a couple of days before we go and they'll be scrap by the time we get back.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:04:15 pm »
Wow, that is amazing Tom. I binned my PR4's (with 7,000 on them and a good few thou left) when I went back to PR3's for the trip.

Mine are scrubbed in pretty well but nowhere near half worn, thank gawd!

Brian (who wonders what could cause the problem with Tom's tyres)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:03:56 am »
Yup the front tyre is illegal and the rear isn't much better.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:00:16 am »
Duff batch probably.
If it is not a big problem can both of you Brian and Tom provide the production code, manufactured date and country for a comparison test? Why ? well when I had the Brazilian PIRELLI Diablo lasted only 4,500 kms when the Italian made set lasted 6,500, so wondering if its the country of manufacturing the case.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Rusty-pie

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:03:45 am »
Have you had the wheels tracking checked?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 11:48:11 pm »

The code shown here on the left sidewall indicates that the tyre as made in the ninth week of 2014.

This photo shows how badly this front tyre has worn in 3,000 miles especially on the right side of the tread. This was a brand new tyre fitted a few days before the Picos trip.

Clearly made in Spain where much of the tread has remained.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 11:54:04 pm »
I'll take some piccies tomorrow for comparison.

Did your receipt for the tyres include the mileage Tom? My fitter always puts this on to protect both him and the customers in case of adverse wear complaints.

Brian (who thinks that front looks shite, despite the pace of the riding that week)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 12:25:57 am »
I fit my own tyres Brian and keep a check on mileages.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 08:16:51 am »
You won't need photos from Brian there's something well not right that's for sure,I can run my rear to to the edge and front shoulder has a million miles to go.

The bad news!! if you had bought them from an outlet and had them fitted I'd say you would have a sporting chance of getting help(I done it) but if you've bought online and fitted them yourself still not impossible but difficult.

The other thing I'd look at is suspension,do you have ESA because if they ain't duff tyres the front shock ain't right.

What you might be able to do(as I did) do your own complaining don't leave it to the supplier go direct,would you believe tyre companies have a separate company to deal with rejects,I have actually been inside one of them  :o

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 09:26:29 am »
You certainly enjoy some curves better than others. Spainish factory uses southern American compounds so if Brian's tyres are in better shape and are made in France or Italy we would have a good clue to avoid tyres man in those countries.
The suggestion for a claim stated above has a solid basis let's not forget that fm time to time companies do recall tyres and mainly front ones.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 01:37:19 pm »
OK, here is my example! Same tyres, fitted at the same time, done more or less exactly the same mileage, minus the ride down through France to Spain and, made in the same country.

Markings on front tyre:

Note the numbers - 20th week of 2015

....and 2015.

Front tyre tread:

Rear tyre tread:

Brian (who thinks that Tom was making considerably more progress than was he, but even so  :o )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 04:34:15 pm »
Did not travel down through France and Spain. Caught the ferry same as you Brian only a day earlier. Mind you Martin and I were the first out and the last back most days. The tyres were only on for 3,000 miles and I would normally expect them to look like yours Brian.

Suspension is working fine and set either in comfort or normal mode.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 04:37:49 pm »
Forgot you were the advanced guard Tom. I did 2,364 miles from leaving home to getting back. Probably not put much more on since then.

Brian

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 05:20:29 pm »
DOT safety standard code is the same, Tyre construction details are completely different, different is also the EU code.
My guess: Tom's tyres were supposed to be exported to some other than an EU country and for that have deferential specs, considering the ware on those would not be surprised if its the Southern America market and that based on the type of tarmac used there, that really does not effect tyres and makes them last ages. 
Embrace the wind.