Author Topic: Amazon Leather suit tested  (Read 4964 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Amazon Leather suit tested
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 02:33:41 pm »
I'm not sure that I'd put much faith in that RST suit. An A rating means the best bits have manage to survive the 45kmh test. Zones 2 and 3 are less than 45kmh.  I don't know about you but the only time I visit 45kmh (28mph in old money) is twice, once when I pull away and once when I come to a stop.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 03:33:52 pm »
Ah good point David! Is the no brand working out better on abrasion than that?

Triple A is what we want for my fledgling track day career, but I don't think the no brand will ever be getting there right?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Paul R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 05:29:07 pm »
Hi Rich

I am just in the process of getting a bespoke suit done by DRC in Rotherham - I've only heard of them via  recommendations. https://www.drcleathers.co.uk/

They seem to be very reasonably priced but the racer boys seem to like them so thought I would give them a try. ( Std cow hide but made to measure / spec is £695 )

If you have a couple of months to wait and see ( by the time it's made) I'll gladly put something up on the forum to let you all know what it's like.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 05:50:44 pm »
Excellent Paul, I'd  really appreciate that.
I'm in no rush, maybe towards the end of the year.

I'm after two-piece, but I guess if they can make a good one-piece, a two-piece isn't a huge step - two zips and an interconnecting 'belt'/thing.

[EDIT: I see they do two-piece: https://www.facebook.com/DRCRaceLeathersUK/photos/a.1260347897730757/1261030107662536]

[EDIT 2: for Matt: https://player.vimeo.com/video/427176264, 3:47 in. With these you wouldn't need those tank grips you put on your last bike!]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 06:08:01 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 06:02:08 pm »
Add me to that interested list Paul! If I can stop myself spending even more on having one bike I still mean to get a track disposable one!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Paul R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 05:39:48 pm »
Will do gents.

And Matt, the track day bike is also the way forward......mines a 748 as I'm a glutton for punishment!

If you ever fancy tagging along feel free to drop me a line as I remember quite clearly how disconcerting it can be the first few times.

And BTW, please do not confuse my track enthusiasm for my actual speed. The two are diametrically opposed to each other unfortunately.

Offline Paul R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 01:32:52 pm »
Hi everyone

I know this may be a little late ..............but I did say I would reply...........

Apologies first as the suit did indeed take a while to get sorted by which time I had packed away for the winter months - yes, sorry, that's me.  I've done enough years in the winter to not feel like I have to do it any more for any misguided pleasure.

Anyhoo, so I feel like I can at least comment a little now having worn it for a few months this year, track and road.

The short version is that it is a perfectly comfortable, light suit that feels like it has enough quality in all the right places.  As someone who doesn't know what I am talking about by just looking at it I find it hard to comment whether it would give good/better/best protection should the worst happen.  It feels good and as I think I said before, the racer boys seem happy with them and at least you know you are getting the same as them.

One area where I wonder if it was worth the extra money was the whole idea of having it made to measure.  I'm a fairly regular size and whilst my new suit definitely fits better, it might be difficult to argue that it was worth the extra money - if an off the peg fits you reasonably well.  Although I guess rationality doesn't come into an awful lot of riding bikes in the first place so you can work that one out for yourself.  And if you don't find off the peg fits then it may be a good way forward.

Going back to the service, it was always helpful, courteous and friendly, but I would definitely say that all the stories of it "taking longer than they say" would seem to be justified.  I bumped into someone who had ordered m2m trousers from them and had already been waiting 3 months.

So for me, I would say excellent value for a made to measure suit compared to everywhere else.  Just know what your expectations are
when you order and hopefully it would be as good an experience as I found.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2022, 02:49:42 pm »
Thanks for the update Paul. Very useful.

I think all decent bespoke suit makers are busy - that's how they roll, they don't want too much downtime.
You put your name down, and sometime in the next 6 months (if you're lucky) they ring you back.
That's how Crowtree worked.

>  I'm a fairly regular size and whilst my new suit definitely fits better, it might be difficult to argue that it was worth the extra money

A close fit is vital in terms of not having the body armour shift around when you hit something, so I value it. Did they ask you if you're losing weight/putting on weight (in terms of fit)? It's like being at the doctors! The one pair of textiles trousers I chanced to buy went straight back because the knee protectors just swivelled around. Pointless.

Back in the old days, the suits were pretty uncomfy for the first few months whilst the leather eased - especially the elbows for me.
I think the more extensive stretch panels of modern suits probably help dispel most of that now.

Dare I ask the cost, if it's not too rude?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2022, 03:07:26 pm »
Thanks Paul!

Did you go for the Furygan airbag system too? I had a quick read and other than a frustrating subscription cost it sounded pretty useful (although the Bennetts review I read was circa 2020, so maybe out of date) for a trackday outfit.

Offline Paul R

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2022, 03:43:05 pm »
Happy to answer anything I can.......so for both questions -

Re price, it was as per their std price list - it's £695 for a made to measure, but I opted for the Kangaroo leather for £895.  My last couple of suits were both Kangaroo - as are bits of my gloves - and cos it's thinner it is just that bit lighter and more comfortable. There's also minimal/no breaking in period.  Daft as it may sound, the biggest problem I had was coming up with a design.  I didn't want a replica suit ( I can live without all the advertising ) and didn't want to put something together that after I got it thought "Oh my God, what have I done !!".  But then we all have different tastes !

Their range of off the peg leathers looked very impressive whilst I was there being measured up and may be worth a quick look if you fancied a browse.  And no they didn't ask about inc/dec weight, but they did ask about what specific back/chest protector I had to allow specifically for those.

And re the airbag - I may live to regret it but no, just went without.  In fact there were several add-ons ( like a drinks dispenser in the rear hump ) that I deleted so you do have plenty of choice.  I also didn't do that #NAME thing - I'm quite happy to try and remain anonymous.....

I'm also determined to get out one time when you guys do a group thing so hopefully will come and annoy you at some point shortly  :)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2022, 05:00:57 pm »
Hm thanks... if it was me and it was just for track days I'd kike "TastyCakes" as the name on the arse. So when people get upset with me they storm over and have to say "oi tastycakes you cut me up on turn 7!" Whilst trying to stay angry :D

I wasn't sure what kangaroos brought to the game. Good to know it's worth it if only for fit!

Offline Paul R

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2022, 05:15:05 pm »
Supposedly the roo leather is more abrasion resistant than cow leather. So for the same level of protection it is correspondingly thinner, making it lighter and not requiring as much breaking in.

But then we are told lots of things that aren't always true..........I'm still waiting for a fat man in a red suit to come down a chimney that we don't have one day.......

And I like the tastycakes theory  :D

Maybe you should follow the blackadder option and have 'Captain Darling' on the back.

'Don't you ever do that again.......darling'

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2022, 06:11:43 pm »
Roo leather is both more tear resistant and more abrasion resistant than cow leather. It also has thd advantagd that it comes from the bit of the roo (tail I think) that has no pores which makes it much more rain resistant. 

My BKS roo suit has the same protection levels as my old BKS cow leather suit but only weighs about 60% of the old suit.

As someone who has had both, my recommendation would be that if you're paying for a made-to-measure suit then it's worth paying the extra for roo leather.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2022, 01:52:51 pm »
There is a wee bit more to crash resistance than just static abrasion resistance.  My race suit was RS Taichi, the best I could afford. On track it withstood a very high speed off at Craner Curves with barely a scuff. A few years after I retired from racing I tipped off on an Irish country road at about half the speed of the Craner crash. Suit was fairly badly thrashed. Irish country roads are way rougher than tracks and the tarmac is well worn leaving exposed granite chippings.  This is the problem on roads, chipping are like shark teeth and grab the leather rather than letting it slide. Seams around knee and hip were well stretched, they held up and inferior suits would have opened up like a zipper.  Only place I would trust to do a repair was BKS. Brian actually said that they don't repair other suits but made an exception for mine. He said that when they were developing suits they copied the seam design and stitching from an RS Taichi suit, the best on the market. Essentially construction of the suit is as important as material.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2022, 02:09:12 pm »
Spot on. The type of thread and thread holes per inch are what drives quality construction amongst other things.

It's no good having thread that melts when it gets warm (eeek), or snaps under stress.
Stitch holes too close together and you've weakened the leather. Stitch too far apart and there's not enough holding the seams together.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 02:43:06 pm by richtea »