Author Topic: Radiator Cleaning  (Read 7836 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Radiator Cleaning
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2024, 08:27:17 pm »
And here's the horror show that is my 34k mile radiator, before and after cleaning.
Apols for the somewhat blurry photos.

In summary:
- I think its probably the worst condition of the three radiators that I've owned, and I'm guessing it may not last more than another year, but you never know. The amount of 'concrete' was greater than before, which suggests (to me) that the roads are in worse condition than before.
- G2G-Foam+ Coil Cleaner definitely cleans, but there is no way it can shift the 'concrete' stuff at the bottom of the radiator. Abrush will take the surface stuff off.
- it takes several rinses to get rid of it - 4 or 5 decent 30 second flushes with plain water
- don't pull the supporting rod down to remove it because it will damage a weak radiator. The bottom edge will just detach. Eeek! Instead, gently lever it off with a large screwdriver between the rubber grommit and the rad. Hey ho.

Before cleaning:

After a vertical brushing with a toothbrush to loosen some of the 'concrete':

During the application of G2G-Foam+ Coil Cleaner:

After cleaning:

And the damaged bottom support:

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2024, 09:13:17 pm »
Yikes indeedy doo!

Maybe your spare radiator needs a spare...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2024, 04:04:43 pm »
Well, the good news is that cleaning definitely had a positive effect. It's now back down to 3 bars in open country and 3/4 bars in town depending on time. No 5 bars.

If that dodgy support doesn't break/leak, I'll be good for another year. Maybe.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 12:13:39 pm by richtea »

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300s Sport
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2024, 08:29:17 pm »
Guys, I’ve removed the central stone guard thousands of miles ago, I’ve also cut out the fan mounting bottom corners to allow throughflow of air to clear out the dust debris, I haven’t fitted a extender to the guard either. It is still the original rad from 2014 and works as it should. I do take extra care when washing the bike and I don’t ride in the wet or winter.
I use auto glym wheel cleaner then snow foam to wash the rad, then back flush with a 90degree lance I made up.
Happy with the cooling..

Best regards. Mick

Any links to how you made the lance? Very interested in this!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2024, 08:34:12 pm »
Search the Kárcher catalogue, they do one that fits their pressure wash lances. I have one and it is great for car underbody and wheelarch wash as well as K rad and mudguard cleaning.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2024, 01:47:28 pm »
And here's the horror show that is my 34k mile radiator, before and after cleaning.
Apols for the somewhat blurry photos.

In summary:
- I think its probably the worst condition of the three radiators that I've owned, and I'm guessing it may not last more than another year, but you never know. The amount of 'concrete' was greater than before, which suggests (to me) that the roads are in worse condition than before.
- G2G-Foam+ Coil Cleaner definitely cleans, but there is no way it can shift the 'concrete' stuff at the bottom of the radiator. Abrush will take the surface stuff off.
- it takes several rinses to get rid of it - 4 or 5 decent 30 second flushes with plain water
- don't pull the supporting rod down to remove it because it will damage a weak radiator. The bottom edge will just detach. Eeek! Instead, gently lever it off with a large screwdriver between the rubber grommit and the rad. Hey ho.

Before cleaning:

That is some serious crub build up btw! looks very sandy tbh! Im suprised yours is doing so well.. it sounds like mine behaves even worse around town and moine looks miles better than yours. Maybe I need a coolant change..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 12:14:55 pm by richtea »

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2024, 01:51:34 pm »
Search the Kárcher catalogue, they do one that fits their pressure wash lances. I have one and it is great for car underbody and wheelarch wash as well as K rad and mudguard cleaning.

Im on the Nilfsk variety... they never used to do tham,  but a quick search just now shows lots of various 3rd party attachments including the 90degree ones... il get that ordered!

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2024, 06:52:16 pm »
I made a right angle squirty thing to fit my garden hose out of a 15mm copper central heating pipe. Squashed and bent the end. Imperfect jet(s), one good jet plus a weak one going off at an angle. My mains hose is powerful enough, my Nilfisk jet wash would bend the fins.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2024, 07:06:09 pm »
It is a conundrum. My Kárcher on minimum is lower pressure than my 6 bar mains pressure but I am still loathe to get it behind the rad whilst cleaning because it is impossible to get the correct angle on the finning.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2024, 09:44:07 am »
I got one of these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08S6RNM3W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The assortment of nozzles that comes with it lets you vary the severity from 'light mist' to 'might remove paint' far more effectively than the twisty thing on the pressure washer.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2024, 05:47:48 pm »
I bought the whole set, underbody/driveway cleaner and gutter cleaning set cos it was on offer. Haven't used it yet but good to know it does the job.