Author Topic: Dynaplug OpEx  (Read 837 times)

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
Dynaplug OpEx
« on: May 09, 2023, 12:45:58 pm »
I was out on Sunday on my K13S when the TPMs warning started flashing. The pressure display was dropping fairly fast, so I pulled over fairly quickly. Within a minute or so it was down to zero, so I put it up on the stand to investigate.

The culprit was a small metal tube. It looked like the outside part of one of those sprung pins that you get on watch straps, but with the internal pins and springs missing. Being hollow it was letting the air out quite quickly, though the actual hole was quite small. Pushing the Dynaplug thing in was quite difficult, made harder because the hole disappeared as soon as I pulled the tube object out. Eventually got it in and pulled the handle out. They tyre was completely flat so I connected my battery air compressor thing. That took about 10 mins to inflate to 37 psi. Then it switched itself off so I gave it a couple of minutes to cool down, then finished inflating to 42psi. I cut off the end of the Dynaplug sticky string stuff with the scissors of my Leatherman penknife. They weren't anywhere near sharp enough and I think my attempts at cutting it off were actually pulling the plug back out, or at least interfering with it sealing properly.

Finally it looked down so I set off again, but after 20 miles or so the tyre was leaking slowly again. When it got down to 30psi I stopped to pump it back up again. The battery finally gave out at 38psi, but that was enough to get home.

This was the first time I've used the Dynaplug/Battery compressor for real and though it did get me home I'll be making a couple of small changes to the toolkit...
- a small pair of needle nosed pliers for getting the object out
- small but sharp side cutters for trimming the plugs
- tyre marker pen of some sort to mark the hole
- din adapter for the power cable that comes with the compressor.

Once at home I put another Dynaplug in the hole and it's now holding pressure. It hasn't dropped measurably since Sunday, so may be alright. I haven't decided what to do next but options are...
- Take the tyre off and do a 'proper' internal repair. I've got some repair plugs and the various chemicals required, so might do that just to see how it works.
- Replace the tyre with a new Road 5, to match the part worn front
- Replace the rear tyre with a Road 6 GT, that won't match the front but the front usually lasts longer anyway.
- Replace both front and rear with Road 6 GTs or Angel GTs
- Ride something else for a while... 

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Dynaplug OpEx
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 02:07:25 pm »
Interesting time Andy!

I've had great results with the Dyna where it's sealed nicely and that was that until the tyre was done many k later. I've also had an occasion where I ended up with three of the buggers shoved in the hole!

Good reminder on the equipment though. I'm missing the pliers and keep meaning to add a leatherman. Tab opened!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 02:23:09 pm »
The small air pumps are OK in a pinch but they do struggle with a totally flat rear and need to be left to cool periodically.
The Desert Fox pump is not quite as small but is a far superior pump. It will pump up a rear tyre from flat to 42 psi in three minutes.
https://www.nippynormans.com/camping-travel/desert-fox-motorcycle-mini-compressor

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 10:58:09 am »
It obviously wasn't a pin from an Omega cos the ones on mine self destruct even when not being worn. it has been in the dressing table drawer since I got my first mobile phone and when I got it out to wind it a few weeks ago the bracelet fell off...

I seem to remember that the last time I moaned about it to a watchmaker he said to use Seiko pins; good old Swiss engineering...not!

As to the repair kit. I gave up cutting off the surplus after nearly severing my fingers with the razor blade wotsit in my kit. Now I just ride off and let the road surface do the work. A couple of miles to make sure the pressure stays up and it down to the surface of the rubber. But pliers are a must.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 09:37:14 am »
Good work, Andy.

From several punctures (mine and others) here's my advice:

- with Dynaplug the sticky string is a bit thin, so always expect to use two

- dump the Dynaplug and go crude* with these or similar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079JH5G41. The big handle gives you a far better chance of being able to plunge into the tyre, and they're designed to plug with double sticky string (because it's folded over before being pushed in)

- ideally get someone else to brace the bike when you're shoving the plug in, otherwise the bike can rock
somewhat if you're working on the back tyre

- gas cylinders are OK (as in good space savers), but you'll need several of them - 3 for a rear tyre if I recall correctly.

- before zooming off into the distance, make sure your emergency pump / gas pump actually fits on both wheels without needing a 90 degree angle valve! Mine didn't. :-[   These are useful.

As Rae says, rechargeable pumps are just about OK. I experimented with my Xiaomi pump and it gets a totally flat rear K1300S up to 2.7 (should be 2.9). That's plenty good enough to get you to a garage to top up. The Desert Fox looks like the real deal though.

*With this type you need a flat blade screwdriver, or some way of separating the 'jaws' before putting the sticky string into the tool.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 04:41:53 pm »
On the pump front I ended up getting the BMW compact foot pump. Electric ones are OK but they draw enough current that they either need a big heavy built-in battery or a direct connection to the bike battery. 5A via the accessory plug isn't going to work, so as this will hopefully not be needed often I thought the manual pump would be the way to go.

The 'what to do next' has so far been the 'Ride something else' option. I led a ride for our RoSPA group at the weekend on my Thunderbird 1600. That was interesting for a couple of reasons. Firstly the T'bird is really comfy so 3Hrs / 100+ miles in one go isn't a problem. Secondly, having the speedo is on the tank and max torque at about 2000rpm makes snap overtakes easy and speed control difficult so I spent more time than I was expecting waiting for the GSs to catch up.

My main bike at the moment is the K16GT. I hardly ever use the panniers and I need to take them off to fit the bike in the garage anyway so I've got a small SW-Motech Roadpack instead. That lives strapped to the 'rack' and is big enough for the tyre repair kit and rain jacket, and is as far as I want to go in the top box direction.

I've spent the afternoon changing the front tyres on a ride on mower. These stupid things are by far the hardest tyres to fit that I've come across so far. The problem is how to get tubeless tyres that have been squashed in storage/transport to seat on 6" rims...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 09:49:18 pm »
Secondly, having the speedo is on the tank and max torque at about 2000rpm makes snap overtakes easy and speed control difficult so I spent more time than I was expecting waiting for the GSs to catch up.

:) :) :)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 04:26:23 pm »
All the same bits and bobs mentioned,and have a Slime pump,have everything all in a plastic box in the car and when out on the bike just take the pump with us as we have dublicate setup for plugs/knife/mini pliers which we can switch between bikes.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 06:08:14 pm »
Ok i've gone belt and braces and have both the dynaplug and the stringy setup all under the rear seat. Plus this little bugger (Rocky Creek Compressor).

The KTM toolkit is in there too, and has a heck of a lot in there. I've got the obligatory pliers and tiny blade too. Provided Albanians don't have different types of puncture causing stuff, hopefully I'm well prepared.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 08:10:46 pm »
The KTM toolkit is in there too, and has a heck of a lot in there.

I've heard they need it.

Couldn't help it, Matt - you led me right there by the hand.  :P

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 08:50:03 pm »
hahah :D

Fingers crossed it'll be the chain tension/lengthening the bike tool at most I'll need!  :afro:

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 08:43:48 am »
Well then, with that amount of confidence, you can afford to leave all the other stuff behind  :laugh: