Author Topic: Rattling discs.  (Read 2247 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Rattling discs.
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:00:36 am »
When we were spinning up Ron's front wheel the other day to check the wheel bearings, we found that the discs were so loose that the rattle of them floating about almost drowned the noise of the knackered wheel bearings. The right disc is much looser than the left disc.

How loose is acceptable?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Rattling discs.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:26:26 am »
If it goes rolling down the road in front of you Tom I'd say that was unacceptable  ;D ;)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:39:35 pm »
They should allow a play of about 0,3mm each time you you move them at any direction .
Embrace the wind.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 11:51:05 pm »
If the disc is OK and the bobbins are worn but they come fixed with the disc what then?
I see some models you can buy the top hat type bobbins.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:57:03 pm »
Right side disc is corectly worn faster that the left one due to brakes circuitry design , but this is something noticed after 80000 kms. Unless the pads are to hard on discs, Carbon Loraine comes to mind.
Embrace the wind.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 11:09:06 pm »
Do you mean CL pads might be too hard on discs Costas?
I thought you recommended them for the K13s?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 11:17:55 pm »
I'm not sure that loose discs (on the bobbins) is a problem; the action of the pads makes them run true during braking.

It would be much more of a problem if there was no play, or float, as that would mean 'fixed' discs and no gurantee that they were 'fixed' in the correct 'plane'!

The only downside I can see to discs with a lot of 'float' is if there is too much free movement at the lever under initial braking as this might mean that the 'rattling' pads were knocking the discs and therefore the pistons, back.

This would not be a 'good thing' 🤕

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 12:01:24 am »
I'm not sure that loose discs (on the bobbins) is a problem; the action of the pads makes them run true during braking.

It would be much more of a problem if there was no play, or float, as that would mean 'fixed' discs and no gurantee that they were 'fixed' in the correct 'plane'!

The only downside I can see to discs with a lot of 'float' is if there is too much free movement at the lever under initial braking as this might mean that the 'rattling' pads were knocking the discs and therefore the pistons, back.

It's not so much the pads but the discs floating about on the bobbins.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline carl0s

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Boosterplug, custom paint job, helibars, clutch modifications & rebuild, some cosmetics.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 10:07:37 am »
I replaced mine with the brembo ones from an italian website. They were about 100 euros each I think and came with replacement bobbins and springs. Tight as anything now. They can still move side to side on the springs, very slightly, but they no longer rotate forward/backward and click like they did when I got the bike. I was eliminating sources of noise and this was one that I wanted to check off the list.

here's my order details from carpimoto.com :

Content of the Order
Item Description   Qty.   Availability   Price
168B407D7 - Brembo Serie Oro Brake Disc 168B407D7, one (1) disk, for BMW, dim 320x181 mm; holes distance 203mm, holes diameter 14mm, thickness 5mm   2   In Stock   €  203,26
07BB26SA - Brake Pads Brembo 07BB26SA sintered street (1 couple for 1 disk), BMW > 2001   2   In Stock   €  58,38
Items Total VAT / Tax included   €  261,64
International Standard 3 business days   €  0,00
Credit Card   free
Total  VAT / Tax included   €  261,64
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:11:52 am by carl0s »
--
Carl

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 11:19:35 am »

It's not so much the pads but the discs floating about on the bobbins.

And that was what I was addressing as you see from my first line  ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 11:22:23 am »
I replaced mine with the brembo ones from an italian website. They were about 100 euros each I think and came with replacement bobbins and springs. Tight as anything now. They can still move side to side on the springs, very slightly, but they no longer rotate forward/backward and click like they did when I got the bike. I was eliminating sources of noise and this was one that I wanted to check off the list.

here's my order details from carpimoto.com :

Content of the Order
Item Description   Qty.   Availability   Price
168B407D7 - Brembo Serie Oro Brake Disc 168B407D7, one (1) disk, for BMW, dim 320x181 mm; holes distance 203mm, holes diameter 14mm, thickness 5mm   2   In Stock   €  203,26
07BB26SA - Brake Pads Brembo 07BB26SA sintered street (1 couple for 1 disk), BMW > 2001   2   In Stock   €  58,38
Items Total VAT / Tax included   €  261,64
International Standard 3 business days   €  0,00
Credit Card   free
Total  VAT / Tax included   €  261,64

Nice find, thanks for posting it up  ;D