Author Topic: Cross border warranty  (Read 12862 times)

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 BMW k1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Puig screen, rear hugger
Cross border warranty
« on: March 13, 2017, 10:18:18 am »
Morning all,

After a 630km spin yesterday I noticed some oil seeping from the final drive (just below the little black ring where you put a paddock stand in). I contacted my dealer who said the seal is a common thing to go but when I asked him if my warranty covered it he told me that because I bought my bike in England and changed the registration to Irish, my 24 month BMW warranty probably doesn't hold up (due to it now being a cross border sale). This kind of annoyed me as the English dealer had told me when I was buying that my local one would just have to input the chassis number and work away for any future warranty work.

Anybody experience this before ? The 24 month warranty was a huge selling point for me when I bought the bike so I'll be gutted to not have it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks,
Luke

p.s I've included a pic from my spin because why not ? 8)

--- Forza Vale ---

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Cross border warranty
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:33:02 am »
In your shoes I’d be contacting someone to get some legal advice on this.  I’m no expert but my understanding of the “single market” approach means that the whole of Europe has to be treated as a single entity and the fact that you’ve change the authority responsible for the registration of the vehicle within that single market should have no bearing on the warranty.

PS – Great picture.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:35:41 am »
Good advice, thanks a million  :)
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:34:49 am »
Great view, not at all jealous Luke.

What he said!

I would first call your dealer and ask to speak to the Motorrad Principal (head man) and not the service desk.

I would also call the selling dealer and ask them for advice.

Brian

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:42:56 am »
Great view, not at all jealous Luke.

What he said!

I would first call your dealer and ask to speak to the Motorrad Principal (head man) and not the service desk.

I would also call the selling dealer and ask them for advice.

Brian

Thanks very much for the suggestions Brian.

Unfortunately in my local dealer there's 1 guy that does everything basically ;D There's dealerships in England that outsell Ireland in its entirety (according to Yamahas importer here) so our market and therefore dealerships aren't really a concern for the brands. My local guy told me he was in contact with the head man in England and he advised me to email the receipt for work done to the dealer that I bought from and hopefully he'll reimburse me. I'm waiting to hear from the dealer I bought from at the moment to see if he'll play ball. Was on a nice high after a decent spin yesterday , this has brought me right back down  ;D
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 01:22:29 pm »
Forget Kearys and contact BMW Mottorad Ireland directly, as said under EU rules they cant cop out like that. If you have no joy under warranty and end up having to do it yourself go to Andy Hourigan  who is a BMW trained bike mechanic and was the senior mechanic at Kearys for 9 years.,he works for an immaculate workshop from home in Newmarket,Co Cork and his charges are very reasonable. Ph 087 2956045
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 02:12:05 pm »
Forget Kearys and contact BMW Mottorad Ireland directly, as said under EU rules they cant cop out like that. If you have no joy under warranty and end up having to do it yourself go to Andy Hourigan  who is a BMW trained bike mechanic and was the senior mechanic at Kearys for 9 years.,he works for an immaculate workshop from home in Newmarket,Co Cork and his charges are very reasonable. Ph 087 2956045

Nice one, I know there's a few mechanics knocking around Cork alright that my buddies use for their GS's etc. Funnily enough the only reason I was using Kearys was because my bike was under warranty and I wanted the dealer service stamp haha To be fair though, Jer in Kearys has looked after me very well since I got the bike so credit to him. I'll have to wait and see what the English dealer says, if he's willing to cover any future warranty work then it'll be alright. A friend of mine is a top car mechanic specializing in all the German brands and he advised me to write a strongly worded letter to HQ ;D
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 07:40:19 am »
Am lost with where exactly the oil comes out where is that seal?
Warranty has nothing to do with the market or the country , in my few trips to Italy and arount Balcans was always covered when a fix needed on my bike. I asked my dealer about it and he said that if you were here he would immediately replace it under warranty.
The way to do such a replacement if for the mechanic-dealer to issue a PUMA request to mother office including pictures, in his recomenation and this is essential, he should ask for complete coverage of work both in parts and labour. Based in the fact that this is a new issue that was never attented before in the past two years his job is very easy. If on the other hand this is an issue that was delt again in the past two years then again he should justify failure of his job. As someone can imagine it's not something they do easily and they always feel somehow reluctant to submit.  Some do not want to go through this simply cause the do not won't to or maybe have been issued warnings for not justified requests in the past and afraid. It is clear that only mother,  for ex BMW Ireland, office can decide for complete 100% coverage , 30% cover, or 0% cover, or even cover part but not labour.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 10:24:49 am »
I think you are quite right there Costas!

Your dealer (the very impressive 'other' Costas) is not what I would call a typical BMW dealer, at least in UK terms. He is much more like an 'independent' in his attitude.

When he serviced my bike he said something very interesting; that he ignores the BMW corporate training which says 'Customers are not your friends, they are just customers!'. He said 'How can I do business if I don't treat my customers like friends?'.

I think the UK and US, do business very differently from some other parts of the world.

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 12:08:29 pm »
Just an update on this, I was in contact with BMW UK and because I changed the bikes registration it's classed as a Cross Border Sale and it voids my warranty. The dealer in England that I bought from has offered me £250 towards an Irish warranty but other than that there's no solution unfortunately.   
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 02:15:34 pm »
Time to book a half hour session with a solicitor with a knowledge of EU law.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 03:09:31 pm »
...before we leave the EU  8)

Offline LOM46

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 11:49:02 am »
It's not great but unfortunately there's no fighting this one. If I was still on English plates then the warranty works anywhere, now that I'm on
Irish plates it changes the game. It's a strange rule but I should've checked before I bought. If I buy the warranty for the Irish plates then it'll work anywhere just like if I was still on English ones. It's not the fact that I'm not in the UK, its the fact that its registered with a new state.
--- Forza Vale ---

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 04:08:51 pm »
I would still put in a call to a decent solicitor. It all sounds very dodgy to me.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 05:08:06 pm »
Could it be true? So much deferance? As said before during my posts in many EU and non EU countries (even in Croatia, at its birth dates) both car and motorcycle were fully covered, yes had to pay labour but only that.
Embrace the wind.