Author Topic: No longer required  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
Re: K1300s iLmberger carbon rear hugger
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2023, 09:27:59 am »
I understand the 'need' for a carbon hugger, but if you want to keep the arse end of your bike really clean, do you have the rear mudguard fitted. Someone will pop up with the linky thingy in just a mo. But at c. £20 it is a much better solution and works way better than the hugger. Just not as bling and non one really knows if you have it fitted.

Stealth shite reducer!

Those rear mudguard extenders are extremely rare now. However, there's one on eBay right now - secondhand at £50:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125295998350

Is it worth £50? Just about - if you use your bike in the rain a lot.

There are few new in Europe at about the same price, but add P&P to the £50-60. Just search for:
BMW 46627675424

Thanks what I like about this site, everyone’s helpful. This post will probably help someone else keep their luggage a bit cleaner 👍
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2023, 12:04:07 pm »
And just to finish the job off, here's what you're getting:

The red is your existing rear mudguard + numberplate holder (bike would be pointing right, so numberplate part is the left side).
The black is the extension.
It doesn't look a lot, but it helps because it extends the guard to be tyre width, plus a bit.

Why anyone would ever design a 'mudguard' that's NOT tyre width is beyond me.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 12:07:43 pm by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2023, 01:14:35 pm »
If you'd have told us you wanted to keep crap off of your luggage we would have got here sooner. ;)

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2023, 02:13:22 pm »
Just to point out, I do already have the above item on my bike 👍
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2023, 08:52:59 pm »
If you'd have told us you wanted to keep crap off of your luggage we would have got here sooner. ;)

Ha - Devon wants everyone else to have clean luggage!  :thumbsupgood:

Interestingly, I compared Brian's bike (hugger + rear extender) to mine (just rear extender) after the same wet ride, and his panniers were definitely cleaner, so the hugger definitely helps, as well as looking the part.

Annoyingly I had one, but sold it a couple of years ago becuase I coulnd't be arsed to fit it. You learn. Eventually.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2023, 10:00:51 pm »
I understand the 'need' for a carbon hugger, but if you want to keep the arse end of your bike really clean, do you have the rear mudguard fitted. Someone will pop up with the linky thingy in just a mo. But at c. £20 it is a much better solution and works way better than the hugger. Just not as bling and non one really knows if you have it fitted.

Stealth shite reducer!

Cheers Phmode, I already have one fitted, thanks to this site. Never understood why is wasn’t fitted at the point of sale. Down to squeezing the cash out of the customers I expect.

I was surprised how much crud it kept off my luggage on a very wet 2 week trip. Rained almost every day, a bit like this years summer here in the South Wet, I mean South West 🌧

Certainly for the K12S the rear mudguard came in the box with the bike and was to be fitted if the customer wanted it. Because none of the customers knew it was there, because the salesmen didn't so didn't tell the customer, none were ever fitted.

When I went to NOG and asked for some new screws for mine cos they were naff, they had no idea what I was talking about. Took the service manager outside and said 'That thing!'.

After a while he came in and went into the stores and came out with a box with about a dozen mudguards and a pile of screws in. 'We always wondered what these things were for...' and he gave me a handful of the cheesy screws. I should have said I'd have the mudguards as well. Cost me £20 in 2016 for the one for my K13S and that was from the box in NOG :adolf:

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2023, 07:39:23 am »
I wonder what else was optional but we weren't told. Flux capacitor? Rust inhibitor? A nice sit down and a cup of tea?

We may never know.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2023, 01:15:38 pm »
Oh, I think almost all the K's had the flux capacitor fitted, they are certainly capable of warping space and time when pressed.