Author Topic: The Broadway Tower (Morris & Brown Cafe)  (Read 5679 times)

gibbo

The Broadway Tower (Morris & Brown Cafe)
« on: July 26, 2019, 06:49:43 am »
I met up with an old acquaintance yesterday to catch up and this is where we met. Nice café with top quality food/drink and plenty of places to sit especially outside. Panoramic views a bonus. On the A44 and you get the chance to experience Fish Hill which is nearby.
Postcode is WR12 7LB. I believe the google map link is 52.02425-1.8357472.
Just be a little bit careful of the gravel parking area.  :)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: The Broadway Tower (Morris & Brown Cafe)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 07:11:23 am »
Thanks Jon, these co-ordinates 52.02425-1.8357472 are not known to Google Maps.

Edit: found it via the post code.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:13:43 am by raesewell »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 08:52:32 am »
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0305036,-1.8398991,1925m/data=!3m1!1e3
And the view from Fish hill down:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0323789,-1.837089,3a,90y,226.56h,65.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB9Tc2Sg66na_SZc5Uyp9QA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Broadway village is also lovely, but both get quite crowded in summer. Last time I visited the Tower we (on bikes) got stuck in a jam - people are clueless when it comes to passing and parking. I was reduced to directing traffic because the cars couldn't see how get themselves unjammed. Gobsmacking.

Fish Hill is definitely best going up (from Broadway) since it's  two lane and you can zip past the chugging grockles. It's also a well known crash spot for bikes overdoing it - probably because it's one of the few fast wriggly hills in the south. Once at the top carry on to Moreton-in-Marsh & Chipping Campden & Banbury for one of my favourite roads.

gibbo

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 09:17:12 pm »
Thanks Rae and Rich for the correction of the Google Map link. I looked this up and copied it to my post. Obviously I need more tuition.  :)

I also tried Fish Hill descending and ascending for the first time and as commented you need to have your wits about you. I can see why there are accidents especially on the ascent part. One bend in particular is especially tricky and not for the faint hearted.  :o

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 09:31:02 pm »
I also tried Fish Hill descending and ascending for the first time and as commented you need to have your wits about you. I can see why there are accidents especially on the ascent part. One bend in particular is especially tricky and not for the faint hearted.  :o

Slow in, fast out.

Or in my case on Fish Hill:
Slow in
faster oh not yet
bloody hell slow
slow
hold it
hold it
and fast - woooohoooo
that was fun  :P

The problem (if you can call it that) is that it's a big wide two lane road, but boy, two of the corners are really tight, and the wide aspect sucks you in to going quicker than you realise. If you're not in the area for long, it's worth riding up twice. Assuming you survive the first pass, of course :-)

gibbo

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 06:32:31 am »
That's a good explanation Rich, far better than I could explain. I'll be revisitng the area in the near future so I'll give it another go. It's an exciting stretch of tarmac for sure.  :)

Andym535

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 08:25:28 am »
On the Google maps satellite veiw of Fish hill it looks like there's a police car closing the uphill side of the road about 2/3rds of the way up, diverting traffic onto the side road...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 09:56:50 am »
Well spotted although, because of the way they stitch the maps together it isn't obvious why. There seems to be lots of traffic on the side road for such a minor route.

Further down the hill there is traffic flowing and just after the Cotswold Way crosses the A44 there is a motorcycle terrifyingly close to the rear nearside of a van. Or is it broken down?