Author Topic: Bagster tank cover and bag??  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
Bagster tank cover and bag??
« on: February 09, 2020, 11:07:44 am »
Hello,

Is anyone here using a bagster tank cover and bag?

Cheers in advance
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: Bagster tank cover and bag??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 11:15:28 am »
Use a Bagster harness(various) on 5 different bikes with 4 different bags depending on which and where,my only complaint they don’t do such for the KTMGT....

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 11:47:15 am »
I was very happy with my tank cover and Alpha bag on my K1300Ss. I use the same Alpha bag mo my H2 SX.

to:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 05:19:45 pm by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 01:17:19 pm »
I have a red one looking for a new home, if you want to try it - just the cover (I sold the bag).
I like them and have had them for about 20 years, but I like the BMW tank bag even more.

Here's a few pros & cons, from my experience.
The most important ones first:

- Bagster isn't waterpoof unless you put the (supplied) cover over it = a fiddle in the wet. It's still pretty good without, i.e. it has to be proper rain for 20-30+ mins to get through. The BMW bag is properly waterproof - it doesn't leak (sealed zips & inner drawstring waterproof liner). Big plus for the BMW.

- Bagster gives good tank protection (inc knees), the BMW bag will leave marks after a few years of use. However, you can get some scratching of the filler cap from a Bagster since it has a hole cut in it for filling, and the bag touches it. Bagster wins, just.

- BMW zips are only good for around 5 years* regular/heavy use (30k miles say) - then they start to fail. Bagster zips are sturdier, probably because they're not the fancy waterproof ones. Bagster wins.

- Bagster has more choice of sizes, and is slightly bigger than the BMW bag - squarer - which helps if you're carrying a laptop, etc. Bagster just wins.

- BMW is tidier design & clips, IMHO. There's something very 70s about Bagster leatherette. :D   BMW wins.

- Both extend, if the you get the right models. It's worth going for the extending versions, either way. However, the BMW one is getting rare/expensive.

*The two BMW bags I've worn out have both been secondhand, so I can't guarantee the lifetime. But I have an actual new never-used US imported one lined up for this year's touring. I'll tell you how I get on in about 30k miles...  ;D

EDIT: I should have said - this is for the K1300S BMW tank bag (20 litres expanded), not the older K1200 tank bag. I'm pretty sure both fit a K1200 though.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:31:24 pm by richtea »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 01:45:42 pm »
Always used bagster, 30 years now. The original bag and harness was used on my FJs. I still have the bag but the clear plastic top is split. It still fits the harnesses on my k12 and k13. I've used the k12 harness and bag for 79k miles in 5 years, its almost always on the bike. I've also used the bag as a flight bag for the last 2 years. The only things that have failed are one of the zip tags has broken, and one of the spring loaded clips has been replaced. Lots of spares available from motolegends. The original plastic cover split and was replaced under warranty. I rarely use it and the bag stays pretty dry when you're on the move. I stick anything sensitive in a plastic bag anyway. I've never had a problem with the harness and the fuel cap. Wouldn't be without it, hence buying another bagster harness for the k13. Pictures on my thread k1300s

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 02:07:45 pm »
Same as Martin had various bags donkeys years,in the good old days the bag cover was separate the latter ones were stitched in no matter they all went in the bin because first thing in the bag is a black bin liner and nothing has ever got wet my darling wife who is the exclusive bag packer  is more than happy with the system  :)

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 02:34:35 pm »
I've fitted the SW Motech tank locking ring and their "Engage" tank bag to my K1300GT. It is pretty secure against tampering when the optional locking pin and combination lock is fitted, whilst remaining easy to remove and refit when refuelling is necessary.

This is the third bike that I've used the Bags - Connection system on (different tank bag each time) and once fitted, it is rarely removed (only for cleaning and maintenance) as it is so useful.

According to the catalogue that I have, for the K1200S they recommend the "Evo" tank ring and either a "Micro" (2.5 - 5litre) bag or their "Daypack" (5 - 9 litre) bag.

I've travelled many thousands of miles using this set - up and, although I have never really bothered to fit the waterproof cover, nothing inside has ever become wet.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 02:57:36 pm »
Same as Martin had various bags donkeys years,in the good old days the bag cover was separate the latter ones were stitched in no matter they all went in the bin because first thing in the bag is a black bin liner and nothing has ever got wet my darling wife who is the exclusive bag packer  is more than happy with the system  :)

Quite true, Chris - a black bin liner as your inner layer will solve it, and you'd still have good / instant access.
The outer cover 'wrinkle' is that you have to plan to fit it ahead of setting off, or stop to retro-fit as the weather hits, and then you have to fiddle to get access from there on in.

The BMW one comes with it's own posh la-di-dah bin liner, of course.  ;D ;D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 03:07:55 pm »
I've fitted the SW Motech tank locking ring and their "Engage" tank bag to my K1300GT. It is pretty secure against tampering when the optional locking pin and combination lock is fitted, whilst remaining easy to remove and refit when refuelling is necessary.

I like the look of these, but the amount of crap I pack* doesn't fill me with confidence that a bag clipped onto a filler ring will have the support / strength needed.
But if carrying less stuff, then yes, these are v tidy and convenient - agreed.

*shoes - size 12/13 monsters, trews, fleece, 1-2 days clothing, docs, wallet, phone, visor / glasses cleaning gubbins, puncture kit, bulbs, earplugs, and fluff. Always fluff. I didn't pack that, though. How? Where from?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 03:11:28 pm »

Early square one is/was the Alpha but always been happier with the Athena the little side pockets are priceless for all the bits and bobs.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 03:18:08 pm by chriscanning »

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 04:35:47 pm »
I don't think that I've ever really packed enough into mine to test its weight handling ability, although with the tank ring held by bolts and the bag with its solid floor secured to it by the claw lock and two locating pegs, there is no movement at all when I "pull test" things as I always do after removal for refuelling!

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 06:03:47 pm »
Brilliant, thanks for the replay.

I use the k1200s tank bag but been thinking that a tank bag that I can use as a day sack would suit my needs better...
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 06:20:27 pm »
This is how you load a K1300s, three large Givi box's and a very large tank bag.  8) ;D ;D  Bagster with tank cover.

[click to expand]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:00:35 pm by richtea »
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 06:32:37 pm »

I use the k1200s tank bag but been thinking that a tank bag that I can use as a day sack would suit my needs better...

.My  Bagster Evosign does that, plus its expandable, neat detailing inside,  big enough for a laptop,charger,  plus oversuit, phones, pens, shoes and trousers.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 06:36:23 pm »

In that case i’d be looking at Kriega rucksack think mine is an R35 not sure what the latest model is either have it on your back(phew does it keep you warm) or just strap it on the back.