Author Topic: 2013 K1300s Sport -New Owner Revive/Enhance/Protect Project  (Read 10884 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: 2013 K1300s Sport -New Owner Revive/Enhance/Protect Project
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2024, 06:51:25 pm »
Hah I remember my relief when switching from my k without ESA to the Motorsport, and being able to tell the difference! There was so much talk about not being able to.

I weigh maybe 70-75kg all up (or 8,000kg now I've got the new motocross boots) so maybe that helps.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2024, 06:58:48 pm »
I found it pretty easy to tell if I was on the wrong ESA setting. If I wasn't in SPORT as I started on a local road  with some nice, well surfaced sweeping bends I'd find it difficult to hold the line I wanted.

Likewise,  the bumpy lane on the approach to my home was really uncomfortable if I wasn't in COMFORT mode.

ETA I'm about 120kg in my gear and use to ride solo with the pre-load set to rider and luggage.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 09:31:51 am by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300s Sport
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2024, 08:51:23 pm »
Thanks for feedback!

So I did two tests.

1. Standing off the bike, with the front wheel in a wheel chock so the bikes level.
2. Setting bike to one helmet
3. Set bike to comfort and then stand at rear of bike and bounce the rear end with hands
4. Repeat process in Sport. There should be a noticeable difference apparently

The other test was-

Riding the bike down a bumpy section of Dual carriage way at 50mph again in different settings.  Was getting bumped out my seat every time and couln't feel any difference at all.

I do weigh just over 100kg and the bumps were quite aggressive so that maybe wasn't a fair test, but I did try it in both one helmet luggage, and also 2 helmets combinations with no difference noticed.

Weather was wet when I was testing and Im still new to the bike so didn't do any hard cornering tests, but I have been switching between modes while driving and honestly cant tell.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 11:14:06 pm by Forcefield »

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2024, 08:53:52 pm »

That's pretty normal for the summer time - 3-5 mins running in town sets mine off. But it's not yet spring, so it may well be on the edge. Mine kicked in today in town whilst pottering around trying to find a place to park, so mine isn't perfect either. Then again it's due its yearly clean and sparkle very soon which might knock a bar off (fingers crossed).

I think you're going to have to wait until the warmer weather to confirm that one.

I was wondering if its kicking off in these temps how bad it will be in summer...

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2024, 02:57:42 pm »
my twopenurth, most of the time two up. I change the damping modes lots of times when we're out because like Black K1, the bike handles the twisties a lot better in sport and then on the straighter bits back to comfort, even the war department on the back can tell when I switch it over. The pre load, I cycle through the different settings every time I wash the bike, a tip picked up on here somewhere.
Weight is 83kg rider and 60kg pillion.

Best regards  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2024, 07:27:36 pm »
Five years on a K12S and now eight years on a K13S and I'm still sure I would wager even the price of a pint on being to guess correctly 2 out of 3 times.

There is a known failure point on the front ESA where the wiring loom can get worn to breaking point (inside the sleeving so not really visible at first glance. The system is open-loop so no fault code or warning light. BMW sell a repair kit for it but most dealers don't know about it...

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2024, 03:32:54 pm »
Still to book the bike in with the dealership... Im waiting to get ouf this last strectch of winter before doing so and going to try and get a new rad put on whilst they do the ESA.

Its also just shy of 18k, so I guess Il do the valve clearances then also.

In the meantime, I've been busy fabricating a mount for a android/nav/dashcam/rear view system which Il share here once complete. Ive got an electrical question Im hoping someone might be able to help with.

The main unit has 3 leads for power. 2 that go to the battery with the standard battery termanal circular conectors, and another wire with no connector that tells the unit to switch on and off with the ignition.

Rather than splicing into one of the other wires on the bike, I believe I can get an adapter to attach to the built in satnav socket

Phoned motorworks and they said this was the thing- https://www.motorworks.co.uk/wiring-repair-kit-ela13585-1.html

So my question is-
Do I need to cut the battery connectors of the main units +\- leads and connect the lot to this adapter?
Or do I connect the unit directly to the batery and only connect the switch lead to this unit and blank off the other leads?

Someone else said to use this-  https://www.nippynormans.com/k1300s-k1300r/denali-switched-power-adapter-for-bmw-motorcycles?fbclid=IwAR03jDW7zq2Uky-uGcgss5qjsctt2r2fwijXSoMfJcgz4mBtN1aMZBVWS5M

Many thanks!

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2024, 07:21:57 pm »
As long as you are only using the after-market connecter and loom to 'trigger' the device you want to install, then the thingummy from Motorworks is exactly the thing you need. You do not need the Denali wotsit.

The loom is fine for powering a sat nag such as a Garmin or TomTom but it depends on how much current your set up is going to draw as to whether the supply will be sufficient to use it as your only feed.

The connector from Motorworks (a bargain at £12, they have been as much as £21 in the recent past  :o ) has three wires, earth, +ve 12v on and off with ignition and +ve 12v on with ignition and off after about a 30 second delay after ignition is off. The last one is great for turning off the ignition, grabbing something from a pannier and getting the ign back on without losing the power to your device.

Of course, if you only need to trigger the device and not have the 12v there permanently, then it makes little difference.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2024, 09:25:32 pm »
Thanks for detailed response. The motor works adapter arrives today.
I believe I only need it to turn on and off the device with ignition as the unit has 2 other wires that connect directly to the battery.

So don't just connect it to the +12v and tape off the other wires on the connector?

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2024, 10:48:02 am »
Not too sure. It depends on how your devices work. You may need to connect the earth wire as well. Either way, tape off what you don't use.

And I assume you know where the connector is to plug it into... :)

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2024, 04:10:41 pm »
Not too sure. It depends on how your devices work. You may need to connect the earth wire as well. Either way, tape off what you don't use.

And I assume you know where the connector is to plug it into... :)

Everything works amazingly thanks! I now have front /ear cameras, rear view mirror/screen, Blind spot detection, android/apple play sat nav etc., all linked into a sena srl mesh ( which is a little disappointing in sound quality given its price).
I just got back from a week up in the Lakes. Mixed weather, but stunning roads and a truly memorable experience. Bike was amazing apart from a moment of stuttering under acceleration, but I think that might have been some dirty fuel.

Its just really great to do a proper trip on the bike finally after all the hard work. Still need to get the radiator and ESA looked at under warranty, but Im just waiting for this final bit of crap weather to pass.

Had a little play with a 360º camera if anyones interested-  https://youtu.be/ieRfxLy3Nmg?si=aLEFHN-pegMBUmjm

Noticed theres very little Youtube content around the old girl, so going to document what Im doing with it for a bit of a creative outlet and keep me out of trouble.

Also had my 1st near miss with a car since getting back on. Totally my fault, and very humbling. I had to mount a kerb to avoid collision. Luckily there was a drop in the kerb for a driveway right where  I needed it or things would have been very different.

Ride safe!

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2024, 04:31:54 pm »
Ok my brain dump in order of appearance:

1. Stutter eh! Mine turned out to be fricking exhaust flap sticking I think - Philip sorted it after buying it from me.

2. Hurrah another 360 camera! Which one? Mine is the Insta360 X3. I'm still not happy with the res/clarity/stupid lens protector stuff. Your footage looks nice and clear.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2024, 04:41:14 pm »
Blue skies on that video - you lucky lucky boy.
Good work! It looked like a very pleasant run.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2024, 05:47:43 pm »
Ok my brain dump in order of appearance:

1. Stutter eh! Mine turned out to be fricking exhaust flap sticking I think - Philip sorted it after buying it from me.

2. Hurrah another 360 camera! Which one? Mine is the Insta360 X3. I'm still not happy with the res/clarity/stupid lens protector stuff. Your footage looks nice and clear.

1. Not heard of the flap sticking before but thanks as will bear that in mind if it happens again. Seems like it could be a number of things though...

2. Also have the X3. 1st time using it so much to learn, but I also had a nightmare with the lens protector fogging up and half the footage rendered useless. was quite pissed off after paying the price they charge for it all. Am looking into the best solution other than using it without. I saw someone using anti fog spray like they use in diving masks. might be my next shout. Have you got any links to footge we can see?

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2024, 05:48:34 pm »
Blue skies on that video - you lucky lucky boy.
Good work! It looked like a very pleasant run.

Yes was pretty much the only day that wasn't on and off rain / grey clouds etc