Author Topic: So, the ban on motorcycles is nearer than we think...  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
So, the ban on motorcycles is nearer than we think...
« on: May 22, 2019, 06:55:30 pm »
AUTONOMOUS CARS - THE CASE FOR RESTRICTIONS FOR PEDESTRIANS, CYCLISTS & MOTORCYCLISTS

IAMRoadsmart has been asked to comment on a Government Green Paper on Autonomous vehicles that aims at restricting the use of cycles and motorbikes on some public highways and seeks to make jaywalk- ing a criminal offence with draconian fines.

Many will have read that autonomous vehicles are programmed to stop when encountering hazards such as pedestrians or other road users. The manufacturers of autonomous cars admit they haven’t been able to reliably programme for the “random movement of cyclists and motorcyclists”. They say that even 5G might not offer enough bandwidth to cope with cycles and filtering motorbikes.

Traffic experts predict the flow of urban traffic will be severely hampered by people stepping out to cross the road in the knowledge that autonomous car will automatically stop and not run them over. The Gov- ernment has recently published research on two options; the first is for extensive use of 1200mm high anti pedestrian barriers and the other is to force pedestrians to cross the road at designated points eg pelican crossings. Planners and urban designers have argued against barriers as that will have a detri- mental effect on the urban landscape particularly in historic city centres. A Government spokesman said “we need a strong stick to prevent unauthorized road crossing by pedestrians”. The Green Paper outlines a new criminal offence for jaywalking with fines of £500 if these proposals are adopted.

Furthermore, the Government intends to launch three pilot studies in August 2020.
The first will be to ban motorbikes from motorways. The motorway network will be the first road system that will be able to manage autonomous vehicles on a significant scale. This idea has already gained sup- port from both RoSPA and the IAMRoadsmart.

The second area is covered by London’s congestion charge zone. Cyclists will have to restrict their pedal- ling to designated cycle routes whilst motorbikes will see a complete ban. The London Mayor has instigat- ed feasibility studies for the creation of motorbike parking around the perimeter of the congestion zone in the following locations: Regent’s Park, Paddington, Pimlico, Kennington, Elephant and Castle, Bermond- sey, Whitechapel, Old Street, The Angel, and St Pancras.

The third and most controversial pilot will be in Milton Keynes. Designed in the 1970’s with a non- hierarchical road grid with segregation of cars and push bikes, the city is an ideal test bed for the intro- duction of autonomous vehicles. As a concession motorbikes will be allowed to use the cycle routes. This follows a precedent from the Netherlands where low powered motorbikes called ‘bromfietsenas’ can use cycle lanes. A 20mph speed limit will be enforced.

IAMRoadsmart applauds this initiative; a spokesman said “It will definitely save lives.”

Comments to the usual address on the back of an old fiver... 8)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
Re: So, the ban on motorcycles is nearer than we think...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 07:55:19 pm »

Furthermore, the Government intends to launch three pilot studies in August 2020.
The first will be to ban motorbikes from motorways. The motorway network will be the first road system that will be able to manage autonomous vehicles on a significant scale. This idea has already gained sup- port from both RoSPA and the IAMRoadsmart.

So as from now, bikers come to work on the motorways ... by car ... too, where they all enter the city ... to congest even more (more cars, less bikers). I don't know if this is a joke or not (I fear not), but instead of considering bikes as a solution, they start considering it as a problem.

You don't need Europe to do stupid things yourselves, so to see...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:03:30 pm »
Brian, I would like to copy that to a FB page. Any objections?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 08:29:36 pm »
None! However I stole it from WHAM, the Worcester and Herefordshire Advanced Motorcyclists website.

I think you are an IAM bod so I guess your local group would have seen it.

I think it is in the pubic domain so feel free. Brian

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 09:58:35 pm »
A Government spokesman said “we need a strong stick to prevent unauthorized road crossing by pedestrians”.

I say WE need guns to shoot the politicians and so called, civil servants with. That'll teach the bastards.  :(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:03:19 pm by TurboBevy »
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Black K1300S, S1000XR, T100, Duke 390, Elan
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 10:12:54 pm »
You couldn't make this stuff up! I seriously thought (hoped) this was an April 1 thread...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:57:57 pm »
I call bullshit. Also start attributing these things with a url please!

Anyway here is where I started stopping reading:

They say that even 5G might not offer enough bandwidth to cope with cycles and filtering motorbikes.

That's horse shit. Whoever wrote this must think that Autonomous cars don't do any processing locally so what, if there's no 4G then everything stops now? Insert more swearwords about sensationalism. 5G will only ever be in high population density zones in any case.

Processing power and AI/programming determines how many pedestrians you kill. Only cars running LIDAR send vast amounts of data and that's log files for various types of learning, not real-time.

Ahem. I'm calm ok, I'm calm!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 07:17:06 am »

They say that even 5G might not offer enough bandwidth to cope with cycles and filtering motorbikes.

That's horse shit. Whoever wrote this must think that Autonomous cars don't do any processing locally so what, if there's no 4G then everything stops now? Insert more swearwords about sensationalism. 5G will only ever be in high population density zones in any case.

Processing power and AI/programming determines how many pedestrians you kill. Only cars running LIDAR send vast amounts of data and that's log files for various types of learning, not real-time.

I'm with Matt. This smells of "fake news" of a Donald Trump magnitude.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 11:07:03 am »

You want a URL? You are a geek and you can't drive Google to WHAM!

I agree it might be techno-babble, but the government is the one pushing the 'supposed' green paper and the industry pushing the 5G stuff.

They can make a self-colliding car but they can't avoid moving objects smaller than a Transit?

It may all be horse shit but it plays to the long espoused agenda to get bikes off the road; we die too often, we make too much noise (Matt!), we drive too fast, we scare folks and we pull wheelies with girlies on the back immediately before doing all of the previous!

Anyway, if you want to follow it up you'll find it in the WHAM March Newsletter here...

http://www.wham-motorcycling.org/newsletters/2019/WHAM_news_mar19.pdf

I thought it was a really good read   8)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 12:18:45 pm »
That government green paper would be a better read, as maybe a little less "one-sided". I can very well imagine the automobile sector lobbying for even more cars and "their" view on mobility "solutions", but the WHAM-comment on this green paper is pretty much one-sided ... from the motorcycle defenders' side...

But admit, if that paper reads like it sounds here, claiming highways AND 5G, that's already a good autmobile sector lobbying-job. It wouldn't be the first thing that gets implemented after an idea that initially sounded silly to well-thinking people...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 03:21:41 pm »
Could be something to do with it being launched April 1st............
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 04:00:27 pm »
Could be something to do with it being launched April 1st............

Yes ! We found him ! The Intelligent Biker !

All in here shall show respect to The One Intelligent Biker !!!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 06:10:56 pm »
That'll go to his head for sure  ???

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 10:14:53 am »
Straight to hell!

And why they had to have an R1200RS review in there, gits!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 10:18:11 am »
Straight to hell!

And why they had to have an R1200RS review in there, gits!

It IS a motorcycle club ferkrissakes  8)