Author Topic: Michelin...  (Read 12213 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Michelin...
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2021, 08:09:57 pm »
Welcome to being an early adopter!   :winkthumbs:
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2021, 09:38:06 pm »
 :D :D

Well, half an early adopter...

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2021, 10:40:04 pm »
:D :D

Well, half an early adopter...

Ah you cut a pr4 and a pr5 in half along the centre line and glued them together to make a combo like I've been suggesting! Good man!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2021, 10:43:33 pm »
Or only managed to get the front tyre fitted... :adolf:

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2021, 11:05:18 pm »
Because... ?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2021, 09:26:39 am »
Because I'm gonna be in need of new rear wheel...

Currently stalking fleabay.

But first, I have to work out how to get the old, currently undamaged rear wheel off...

And to do that I have to find a way of removing the locking wheel bolt...

Because the pins in the adapter socket sheared when the guys tried to remove the rear wheel.

Front's good though...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 09:34:51 am »
Ah! That sounds painful!

I did previously have a wheel bolt that seized. It broke 4 torx bits before the tyre place decided that it wasn't coming out. (Heat had been applied but that didn't help!) They drilled it in the end and I got away with nothing more than the cost of a replacement bolt. My fingers are crossed you don't need a new wheel.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2021, 10:12:33 am »
Yeah, it sucks. The guys at Protyre were gutted. The socket already marked the wheel around the hole when the socket gave way suddenly and the extension bar and the bloke who was using it ended up in a heap. At least they weren't using an an air gun. Had we suspected anything, an impact driver might have been better.

It came out OK when Cotswold Motorrad did the rear drive fluid last August.

Nippy is being helpful but says he needs a part number before he can do anything. One wonders where that receipt went after all these dozen years?

And drilling isn't an option because the off-set holes for the now defunct pins mean that any drilling attempt is doomed to fail as there is no way of centring a drill bit  >:(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:15:27 am by Phmode »

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2021, 11:28:29 am »
Any space to weld a bolt head onto the nut?

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 11:41:32 am »
Christ. So do you think it was Cotswold who then over-tightened it? If that is indeed what happened - and wherever it happened - ... bugger. You expect jidiots doing it on cars but bikes... blehh. 60NM yo!

Bri if you need any tools or help give me a shout, happy to come and lend a hand/reciprocating saw if needed.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2021, 12:01:49 pm »
don't write off drilling yet, center as best you can with a center punch and drill as far in as you safely can, go up a couple of drill bit sizes maybe 10mm or so. this should weaken the grip on the bolt by heat, then a good....good sharp chisel on the outer edge of the bolt and nice solid tap with your bfh (hammer) should start to turn it ...lovely shock load. if that fails introduce heat to your drilled hole...on the wheel stud...and repeat.
a wee squirt of brake fluid and diesel/light oil mix sprayed around it would do no harm, but wash painted surfaces after.
if we can get a man on the moon surely we can get a wheel of a motorbike.
i do despise locknuts... any vehicle i buy gets them removed first thing.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2021, 12:05:24 pm »
just remembered...on a car bmw keep a set of their locknuts in stock, so if you have trouble any dealer will have the correct locknut in stock...are the bike guys the same?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2021, 12:25:34 pm »
Any space to weld a bolt head onto the nut?

That was everyone's first thought, after 'just set fire to it and claim on the insurance'.

A couple of handy welders have looked at it and say it would most likely damage the surrounding paintwork and they wouldn't want to risk it...

The cylindrical head of the offending item is about 12mm dia and 4mm 'longer' than the head of a standard wheel bolt but slightly narrower in diameter.

It has two 5mm holes drilled in what would be a three-hole pattern, were there a third hole i.e. two holes at 1/3 of the circumference.

The current plan is to punch and drill the 'missing' hole to give a 3 hole pattern with the holes symmetrically spaced (asuming I can still drill straight) and then to enlarge each hole in turn until the  3-pointed bit in the middle falls out...

At this point (about next Friday), I should have access to the centre of the bolt and can start to drill the rest of the head off the shank. See, it only took me five seconds to type the last part of that sentance...

To stop my drilling skills from knackering what is currently a good wheel, I have a piece of steel tubing about an inch long which fits over the circular head and inside the hole in the wheel. I intend to keep this in place and drill 'inside' it so if the drill skids off it won't hit the wheel...such confidence in a short piece of narrow curtain rail  :)

If you or anyone else has the welding skills and confidence to try welding a bolt to it, I'd be happy to travel to get it done. The only problem is that if that fails to release it, then drilling will be virtually impossible.

As to Matt's point about Cotswold, one assumes they torqued it to BMW's spec. The guys at Protyre said BM's are always tight but mine were particularly so.

I'm cursing myself because I 'always' undo wheel nuts on cars and bikes after having them serviced or new tyres fitted and then tighten them up to my own spec which means I can always get the wheels off in an emergency. Never had a wheel come loose in 50'odd years. Needless to say, when it came back from Cotswold last summer, I broke my own rule and didn't bother.

If only it were a BMW car #farmer. BMW don't do locking wheel bolts for bikes. This one came from Nippy Norman about 11 years ago and was originally on my 1150GS. I mailed him and he is trying to be helpful by saying he needs the part no. before he can help me...

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2021, 01:47:06 pm »
A picture is worth a 1000 words so let’s have a look.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2021, 02:38:27 pm »
i would still try a new hole as near center as possible...however if you have 2 5mm holes off center already i'd be tempted to give them a good rattle with a high quality chisel and bfh...as heavy a hammer as you can get, try to hit them in an anti clock wise direction ...but you'd know that anyway... the force of shock load is underestimated.
the oversized pipe plan sounds good, never thought of that and may steal that idea in future, my personal bfh is a medium sledge with a 10" shaft and can be sore on fancy paintwork.