Author Topic: For those biker globe-trotting execs out there...  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
For those biker globe-trotting execs out there...
« on: December 09, 2018, 06:19:42 pm »
Givi 'used' to make a 'carry-on' flight bag with wheels and a handle that fitted Monokey racks, but no more...

However, this might be the next best thing for those globe-trotting execs among you...

https://www.nippynormans.com/camping-travel/givi-trolley-base-for-givi-monokey-top-box

...and perhaps even for the weekly shopping haul.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: For those biker globe-trotting execs out there...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 06:36:38 pm »
That's one of those things that looks like a good idea but in reality a bit impractical.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:05:15 pm »
You've obviously never done regular airline business commuting Rae.

When I used to travel to the US a couple of times a month and take the red-eye to Scotland a couple of times a week and bike parking was free right next to the entrance to the terminal at Heathrow, it would have been a Godsend. Helmet and trousers in a PacSafe net on the bike and wheel all the gubbins straight onto the plane? What's not to love and I can see nothing impractical in it.

As it was, I was regularly lugging my (admittedly slimline but still the weight of a topbox) Givi Business Case all the way through the airport and the bloody red-eye to Ayr used to be parked at what felt like Isleworth by the time you had schlepped all the way there.

I missed the very last Givi Flight Bag in existence by two minutes and I was so pissed I almost cried in BykeBitz.

If I was still in harmess I would snap up this bargain as it is well over a hundred everywhere else.

In fact... ::)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 07:45:31 pm »
I'm not saying it's not a good idea, it's just that top boxes are a bit bulky and the wrong shape to be regular luggage. Not to mention the weight.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:36:56 pm »
The video is a must. Had me smiling all the way through, and I almost burst out laughing in the last 20s.
Such a useful bit of kit. How would he have managed without, it I don't know:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/BqspMXeiL3E?autoplay=1
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:34:39 am by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:27:06 pm »
I'm not saying it's not a good idea, it's just that top boxes are a bit bulky and the wrong shape to be regular luggage. Not to mention the weight.

Rae, my Givi Business Case is a low-profile topbox just like a large'ish briefcase. Designed exactly for the biking businessman. A funky trundle is just what it needed for all those years.

And a regular topbox like my E360 is, I imagine, as light as feather when it is being towed on wheels.

You don't like it, that's fine, the post was intended for the biking exec.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 10:47:07 pm »
Good to know and obviously forget this should I ever be unlucky enough to find myself doing that crap again! But surely all bikes parked anywhere for more than 3 mins get nicked at a place like an airport?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 12:23:11 am »
I did say 'used to travel'. This was back in the hedonistic late seventies, early eighties. You could just roll up outside the terminal and there were about four, five at a pinch, spaces for bikes, right under the nose of the security guards. No markings, no restrictions, no charges.

As you say, these days you'd be shot simply for stopping.

jesim1

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 01:07:37 am »
The video is a must. Had me smiling all the way through, and I almost burst out laughing in the last 20s.
Such a useful bit of kit. How would he have manage without, it I don't know:

I don't get it?  :-[

Why not just have a normal top box to put the brief case in and then take it out when you travel -  :-[ :-X

But of course...……..there is no weight restriction for carry on luggage in a private jet  8)

James

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 05:29:41 am »
This thread is giving me the shivers!!!!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 07:51:57 am »
The perfect target audience:
https://www.pemc.co.uk/index.htm

If you know what PEMC stands for, you may chuckle.  If you don't you may struggle to find it - it's well-hidden.

If nothing else, marvel at the quality of the website. It is a little window into the past.
Matt probably won't be able to sleep after viewing it.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 08:04:26 am »
Brian, I love it and almost bought one a year or so ago until I realised I had no use for it. I know you have a low profile case and it would work with that. For normal sized top boxes it would be impractical.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 09:51:31 am »
But surely all bikes parked anywhere for more than 3 mins get nicked at a place like an airport?

Or, in the case of that guy with his private jet : blown away by the jet's engine's blast when it's leaving its parking lot. Or in other cases, by the wind blast of the heli leaving ...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 10:54:34 am »
Such a useful bit of kit. How would he have manage without, it I don't know:

I don't get it?  :-[

Why not just have a normal top box to put the brief case in and then take it out when you travel -  :-[ :-X

But of course...……..there is no weight restriction for carry on luggage in a private jet  8)

James

You have obviously never tried to put a 17” laptop in a 'normal' topbox, or a briefcase that will hold a 17” laptop in there either.

Of course, in this day and age, tablets have rendered a lot of this redundant but globe-trotting heavyweight project managers and consultants will understand the problem well.

The Givi Business Case (now out of production but once sold by BM dealers for their well-heeled clients [as opposed to us mere customers]) had enough space for a laptop, files (of either the paper or Bastard type), a couple of spare shirts and underwear and you were set for a short business trip with one grab and go bag on your bike. And for those mad dashes to gate 2,478 at the airport, the funky trundle seems to be tha answer.

I can't find a price, but Kappa (the budget end of Givi) do one too...probably comes with off-road treaded tyres on the wheels  ::)

Coully

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 01:07:25 pm »
nifty bit of kit, but admittedly I'm coming down on the impractical side to a point. but being givi it'll be pricey eh!