Author Topic: Sena 20S Evo  (Read 2450 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Sena 20S Evo
« on: September 23, 2017, 08:19:08 am »
We have had a set of Scala G4s for about five years now and they are getting a bit temperamental mine intermittently works on one speaker and Melanies battery doesn't always know when it's fully charged.
So I have ordered a pair of Sens 20S Evo from Sportsbikeshop. They run a price match policy and I found a company selling them for £346, Sportsbikeshop price £399.
I sent them the details for a price match and they came back to me telling me that the company was based in the Netherlands despite having a contact address in Poole Dorset and they only match UK sites. However they did give me a discount code reducing the price to £360. As I prefer to deal with UK based companies where possible, I used the code and am awaiting the arrival of the new units.
I will report back when I have had time to assess their performance.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Sena 20S Evo
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 02:16:46 pm »
Well, good luck there then Rae 😎

My postie bought a set and is still trying to work out how to open the box....

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 07:21:44 pm »
The Sena 20S Evo units turned up today, very good service from Sportsbikeshop.
This is what they looked like in the box.

They came with lots of,  foams, Velcro pads and leads. There are lots of fitting and adjustment options.

So far I have only tried them in the house. The sound quality is better that the Scala G4s and the volume is louder by a fair bit.
As with all new gadgets it will take a while to get used to all of the functions, but I have the phone, sat nav and intercom working, which is all I need for now.
I will report further when I have something to report.
I would like to try the range and will have to figure out how to do that, it might mean getting Melanie to wear her helmet in the car.  ;D :o

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:25:08 pm »
To be realistic Melanie will have to have her head out of the window.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

gibbo

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:31:12 am »
To be realistic Melanie will have to have her head out of the window.

And doing 70mph as well.  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 01:28:23 pm »
I would like to try the range and will have to figure out how to do that, it might mean getting Melanie to wear her helmet in the car.  ;D :o

Take her for a spin and drop her off, ride off till you can't hear her talking and that's that.

P.S. Remember to go back for her 😎

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 04:55:11 pm »
I had a chance to do a partial test today. I met up with my mate John for a coffee and for the first time ever with a headset I had to turn the volume down a bit, the sound is crisp and clear. I tried the FM radio and the sound was good and had plenty of volume. I had to read the manual when I got home to find out how to change stations, I think I've got it now  :-\
So far I like it, I'm still on a learning curve though.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 01:21:21 pm »
Make sure you attached unit correctly to helmet , we had some insidents with units lost due to bad installation.
One was miraculously discovered and apart fm some scraches was declared  again operational. So you can add this to the positives; solid robust construction.
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 02:16:34 pm »
Thank you Costas, I think I've got the hang of it now.
I have found a video from Bryan Glynn, an FJR owner in the States who did some distance testing on the 20S.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgDGTnyHYvI

The Evo might possibly be a bit better, but I would be happy with that sort of distance between units.
No need to employ Melanie as a tester  ;)