Author Topic: helmet help  (Read 6657 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: helmet help
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 12:42:21 pm »
I must confess I love my Schuberth C3 Pro. I know I have a Schuberth shaped head and have had a C2, C3, C3 Pro and now another C3 Pro. I do try on other helmets at replacement time but I've not yet found anything that fits as well, and offers a decent compromise of lightness, ease of use and build quality. I also like my C3 Pro as it's pretty quiet, a feature that often gets overlooked. As an aging motorcyclist with failing hearing as a direct result of wearing noisy helmets without ear protection, I think helmet noise (or lack of) is second only to fit when it comes to importance.

The sun visor is excellent and easy to use and my Scala G9X intercom is stuck to the side of the helmet yet does not interfere with the flip front or the sun visor mechanism.

One of the things I like about the Schuberth is that it doesn't "give" much. I've had helmets before that fit well when new but 6 months later, the padding has "relaxed" and the helmet is loose. My Schuberths have all still been snug fits after 3 years 50,000+ miles of use.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 05:09:42 pm »
I've yet to find better lids than Schuberth flip front helmets.

We used to get a free Schuberth helmet on every Schuberth Nurburgring course and I've stuck with them ever since. Must say that my favourite was the pre Pin-Lock helmets.

Now living with the C3 Pro. Unfortunately one of the problems is water running down the inside of the visor if you dare to crack it open in the rain. Was told that this problem had been sorted on the Pro but I don't reckon it has.

Of course every helmet behaves differently on different bikes and on the K1300S the screen deflects the air flow straight onto the visor.

I personally think that the sun visor is too dark especially when riding in and out of the shade from trees.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 08:00:58 pm »
It's a tandard tinted visor, it's the spectacles that are photochromic and they go really black in the sun.

According to this...

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/about-photochromic-visors/

...the only helmets with photochromic visors are Bell, Shoei and Lazer.

I'd check out the actual weight of the C3 and compare it to the opposition.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 08:04:21 pm »
Arg you've reminded me I really should sort a new lid out. All... 3 of my lids are now over 5 years old!

Last time I looked (online) the Schuberth C3 Pro or maybe the new C4 looked pretty great. I just need to stop buying... exotic cattle and then I can afford one!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 08:09:31 pm »
What the hell has 'afford' got to do with it Matt. I can't afford sod all but it doesn't stop me buying it and like me (on at least one count, to protect both of our reputations) you have no moaning accountant other half going throuh your bills and your Amazon account.

Just do it... ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 08:26:23 pm »
...and to save the hassle Ijust goggled the C3 and here is the answer on its weight...

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/schuberth-c3-helmet-review/

...as always, depending on shell size  :D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 08:26:58 am »
I think you may struggle to get a C3 now. The C3 Pro replaced it some time ago.

As regards weight, the C3 Pro is slightly lighter than the C3 at 1570g https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/schuberth-c3-pro-crash-helmet-review-c3pro-woman/ (I assume for the smaller shell size) but the C4 is in the same ball park as the C3
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 08:39:26 am »
If weight is the issue the HJC RPHA Max evo is 1550 grams. I went for this after my trashing the Shoei Neotec and am happy with it.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 09:53:10 am »
I don't have a big nose, but find many helmets dont have enough nose clearance and move slightly at higher speeds to annoyingly touch my nose. This despite being a nice snug fit. Am I alone in this?

Offline Steve CH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 11:53:11 am »
I don't have a big nose, but find many helmets dont have enough nose clearance and move slightly at higher speeds to annoyingly touch my nose. This despite being a nice snug fit. Am I alone in this?

You must have a big hooter
I have approx 3/4 of an inch clearance on my C3 Pro

Steve
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 12:36:23 pm »
That's one reason I gave up on Arai. Whereas my AGV has a vast expanse of hooter space.
It's also cooler, lighter, quieter and generally rather better than I expected.

But its not what you might call a touring helmet - no flip, no sun visor, only 3 visor positions. I love it.

The trouble with helmet buying is its a leap in the dark (and expensive), which can't be undone.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 02:45:39 pm »
c3 looks a great helmet but i want lightness...flip ups seem to need an extra bit of weight for the ,,, well flip up.
does your visor darken a lot as thats what intrested me in the bell helmet range... maybe a drop down would be best but the lightweight  bell helmets don't have that option.

Never trust a bike helmet with two front mudguards visors.

Ref: https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3301.msg40893#msg40893

Go carbon, wear these 8) and have less complexity. Lightweight is nice.
(am now in brace position, ready for a shooting down of such a heretical view)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2018, 02:49:14 pm »
The HJC RPHA 90 weighs in at 1470 grams that's about the lightest flip front on the market.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 03:26:00 pm »
I've decided that my head weighs more than that so I don't notice it  :D

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 04:13:14 pm »
1470gm is v good, Rae, I agree.

Mine:
- claimed: 1280 gm
- actual: with my Med/Large shell 1504 gm (that's shell size 3 of 4 choices)

I'm guessing the 1280 gm is the smallest shell available.
Lies, damned lies and helmet stats!

However, for all that, it certainly feels lighter than my previous one - Arai RX7 - and more comfy.

Here's something halfway between our helmets - carbon + flip:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/H_FW1AwGy2M?rel=0
Oh, and a bloody sun visor too. Damn.