Author Topic: Fuel flap lock seized.  (Read 2617 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Fuel flap lock seized.
« on: February 04, 2018, 04:16:00 pm »
Has anyone managed to remove the fuel cap lock barrel as per the reprom?

Ron had a situation where his fuel cap was stuck in the locked position. I managed to take the whole fuel cap assembly off the tank and strip down the cap to remove the barrel which had all the brass levers seized into the aluminium barrel. A very fiddly job with lots of springs and pins and bits but got it sorted out eventually.

According to the reprom one has to push down the latch until the holes (2) are alligned and then insert a 2mm drill bit (3). Then the key can be rotated and removed with the lock barrel. I tried to do this on my bike but the holes (2) would not align and even if I held down the latch the barrel would not come out. I would like to remove my lock to check it out but to no avail. If this had worked it would be dead easy to check the locking action was free and well luubricated. You don't want to have to go through the performance required to take the lock apart as I did with Ron's bike.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Fuel flap lock seized.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:28:55 pm »
Am I just confused Tom? It sounds as though you managed to strip Ron's lock but not your own, is that right? I'll have a fiddle with mine on Monday and let you know.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 05:51:27 pm »
I did manage to sort out Ron's lock by taking the complete flap assemply off and taking it apart. Loads of springs and sliding bits and screws. All I wanted to do was to remove the lock barrel which was totally seized up.

I noticed afterwards in the Reprom that it is very easy to remove the lock barrel by opening the fuel flap, pushing back the latch and insert drill bit, and then remove key complete with lock barrel.

Out of interest I thought that I would pop my fuel lock barrel out and take a look at it. Easy peasy one would think. But it wouldn't work as per the instructions in the Reprom.

There was no way that I was going to submit my lock to the tasks involved in getting Ron's lock sorted. After all my lock is working and if the barrel will not pop out as per the Reprom then I will lube it with some oil on the key.

The pop out method looks like a two minute job whereas I must have spent three hours sorting out Ron's lock. A stitch in time saves nine and all that.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 06:01:15 pm »
I hope Ron appreciates all these things you do for him Tom, a huge mug of coffee and a big slice of cake should be in order ;D

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 06:35:39 pm »
Don't tell Ron but I like to practise on his bike  ;) ;)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:36:31 pm »
Don't tell Ron but I like to practise on his bike  ;) ;)
;D Good thinking  :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:09:23 pm »
Well, in the sub-zero ice-house that is my garage, I spent three minutes fitting my new battery and five minutes trying to remove my fuel filler cap lock. Seven minutes was way too much out there and I gave up.

The results are that the battery is charging and like you, I could not push the latch back sufficiently far to even see the hole in it through the cut-out, let alone get a drill bit in there.

I tried it with the key in and out and with the lock in the locked and in the unlocked positions to no avail.

As far as the barrell innards are concerned I will have to consult my local lock-smith about lube. I was always taught never to 'oil' lock mechanisms as grit and muck gets stuck to the oil and can then jam the tumblers/sliders. Graphite 'dust' is what I have always used on Yale type locks but that will do no good on a fuel cap lock.

Hope I never have to change my ignition barrell then as I will end up with two keys instead of one  >:(

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:06:52 pm »
I've always squirted a drop of WD40 into my lock and ignition   barrels after cleaning the bikes I've had over the years. Going on the theory that it's a moisture repellent and a lubricant.
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:57:45 pm »
Problem is the dissimilar metal corrosion caused by brass levers set into an aluminium barrel with steel springs and an influx of rain water.

Ron's lock got a good dose of silicon spray on re-assembly.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 08:24:02 pm »
The problem with WD is that it evaporates and doesn't leave a lube behind. Silicone spray leaves the silicone after its vapours have gone.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 09:14:05 pm »
GT85 with PTFE should do the trick. Look out for the special offers in Aldi.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 07:23:56 pm »
Hello guys, had a ride up to the ponderosa this morning, stopped to fill up at the Kiddi end of the Bridgenorth road and guess what? The key wouldn't go into the fuel cap, I struggled to open the cap but got there after a bit, when I got home I filled the lock with 3 in 1 oil and now it's perfect.
Hope this helps .

Best regards.  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 07:15:18 am »
Now that some of you are traveling maybe the barrel issue sounds not so important, but practicing today at the garage on another bike(?) my mechanic inserted what appears to be an old long screw driver with the tip trimmed almost completely and removed it in a bit. It looks like it only needs a strong hand with a tool that permits a good grip.
Embrace the wind.