Author Topic: Brake woes  (Read 963 times)

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300s Sport
Re: Brake woes
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 02:00:58 pm »
Following this... i too have had my pads off recently. Only to clean/service things so not fitted new ones, not moved the pistons much other than to get the calipers off. But Ive notice this week that my front brakes are very spongy. theres too much travel of the lever before any braking happens, and when it does its very soft.

Im new to K's, so I dont know how sharp they are ment to be, but Im guessing it could throw me off like a bucking horse if i squeezed too hard?

Offline nealchaykin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Heed crash bars, Givi top case, classic windscreen with Laminar Lip, gel seat, carbon everywhere
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2024, 02:21:12 pm »
How are your rear brakes? Mine have always been on the ‘spongy’ side but I think I read somewhere that that is usual for a K. I’ve never locked my rear brakes no matter how much the brake pedal is pressed.
Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2024, 03:29:55 pm »
Following this... i too have had my pads off recently. Only to clean/service things so not fitted new ones, not moved the pistons much other than to get the calipers off. But Ive notice this week that my front brakes are very spongy. theres too much travel of the lever before any braking happens, and when it does its very soft.

Im new to K's, so I dont know how sharp they are ment to be, but Im guessing it could throw me off like a bucking horse if i squeezed too hard?

The ABS won't let it toss you off unless you are holding on with only a couple of fingers. The rider manual advises to grab the brake lever hard and let the tech do the work.

I have only ever triggered the ABS a couple of times, once in panic and once in desperation. It's a big bike and it has the brakes to match so if they are spongy or lacking feel then something is not quite right.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2024, 03:37:09 pm »
My rear seems ok. I have had a weird knocking through the pedal a few times when approaching a junction to stop. I believe this is the abs kicking in...

The front just feels too weak and soft. I did open the reservoir cap the other week, as I didn't know there was a sponge in there and was wondering what it was. Maybe I introduced some air into the system somehow? I'm pretty sure when I bought the bike, when I qst tested the brakes I was impressed with the sharpness.
Next dry day I get in gonna go try a few emergency stops and see how they feel perform

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2024, 06:27:18 pm »
The only way to get air in to the system is by letting the fluid level drop out of sight, dismantling a hydraulic fitting, pushing a piston out past the seal or incorrect bleeding. Other than that, a hydraulic leak would show you had a line integrity problem.

Hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic, (it absorbs moisture from the air) so old fluid may well be contaminated and therefore compressible as the water turns to steam next to the pistons and the water gets in to the fluid in the first place because the cap on the reservoir is ventilated.

Those of us who don't pay the man to do the annual service always run the risk of contaminated fluid.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2024, 10:48:31 pm »
A tip to improve the front brake is to park the bike on the side stand with the steering fully to the left. Pump the brake lever and tie it back to the handlebar. Leave overnight. I use a cycling toe strap to pull the brake lever back to the bar.

Supposedly air in the system migrates upwards to exhaust out through the fluid reservoir which is the highest point.

Works on mountain bike hydraulic front brakes as well.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2024, 11:01:59 pm »
Nice tip Tom. I've heard it before and forgotten it  ::)

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2024, 09:48:36 am »
I put a Rekluse left hand rear brake kit on my CRF and that was the only way I could get the air out of the line from the lever down to the rear master cylinder.

Offline Grumpy jase

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300S
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2024, 12:23:18 pm »
If your stuck I'm not too far away in Plymoth with a GS911, just need a sunny day to ride up :-)

Thank you so much for the offer.  Did a good ride out yesterday, positively spring like in Mid Devon, and brakes felt great.  It felt like the small amount of air in the front had been there for a while as they felt sharper than I'm used to.  Rear is still a bit soft, but I'm putting that down to heavily worn pads, and will re-assess once the new pads are fitted.
Being grumpy makes me happy

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2024, 03:11:08 pm »
If your stuck I'm not too far away in Plymoth with a GS911, just need a sunny day to ride up :-)

Thank you so much for the offer.  Did a good ride out yesterday, positively spring like in Mid Devon, and brakes felt great.  It felt like the small amount of air in the front had been there for a while as they felt sharper than I'm used to.  Rear is still a bit soft, but I'm putting that down to heavily worn pads, and will re-assess once the new pads are fitted.

Great to hear! what did you do to fix?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2024, 04:08:04 pm »
Did the rear brake bleed last night,cap back on the res,tighten it and all is good,go out for a test run this morning doesn’t feel right and then brake warning light comes on  :evil: and I’m thinking Jeeze….just about to phone my other half to bring the van!!! Have a look at rear res see I’d tightened the top too much and it had twisted in the metal clip twisted the rubber brake pipe  :o,twisted res the other way and all’s good….phew

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2024, 07:41:48 pm »
Did the rear brake bleed last night,cap back on the res,tighten it and all is good,go out for a test run this morning doesn’t feel right and then brake warning light comes on  :evil: and I’m thinking Jeeze….just about to phone my other half to bring the van!!! Have a look at rear res see I’d tightened the top too much and it had twisted in the metal clip twisted the rubber brake pipe  :o,twisted res the other way and all’s good….phew

Phew... Close one, and pretty scary

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2024, 05:45:35 pm »
Of all the weird stuff. Nice spot though.

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2024, 07:29:24 pm »
Just a thought but how long has the brake fluid been in the system? It should be changed every two years or so. If left in too long the brake gets all spongy so that may be your problem

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2024, 07:33:56 pm »
I put a Rekluse left hand rear brake kit on my CRF and that was the only way I could get the air out of the line from the lever down to the rear master cylinder.

Flash git  ;D

I couldn't justify the expense on my Rally so tried, in vain, to fabricate my own out of bits of bicycle levers and cables but gave up because there was insufficient room on the bars to have a second lever. I have reduced sensitivity in my right foot so really liked the idea of the Rekluse kit.