Author Topic: Daytime headlights......or not  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
Daytime headlights......or not
« on: February 28, 2019, 09:36:55 am »
I've been making the most of the good weather and during bright, sunny blue sky days I don't have the headlight on if I have the option and there's a noticeable difference with how motorists are with me.  It's like I'm more visible without the headlight on during these sunny days, they appear to judge my approach distance and traveling speed more accurately, even females ferrying kids on the school run are a joy to share the roads with and it's not just a one off either, however with practically every vehicle on the road having headlights on not having one on is probably the reason I get noticed
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Daytime headlights......or not
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 10:27:23 am »
How do you turn the headlight off Ady?

I think it is the fact that you are less annoying to their eyes rather than being more visible.

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 01:33:28 pm »
It is, I believe, a legal requirement that all new motorcycles sold after a certain date, which was before the launch of the K series, had to have their dip beam or an DRL alternative, permanently on.

Do you mean you've turned high beam off? If so, I FULLY understand why life is a lot nicer.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 02:22:43 pm »
It is, I believe, a legal requirement that all new motorcycles sold after a certain date, which was before the launch of the K series, had to have their dip beam or an DRL alternative, permanently on.

Doesn't seem to be any legal requirement in the UK:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights#legislation-and-requirements

> Motorcycles do not currently require DRL* to be fitted, but most manufacturers voluntarily opt for an AHO (Automatic Headlight On) system to be installed as an alternative. Changes to European legislation will, in future permit manufacturers to fit DRL on their motorcycles.

It's dated 2010 but a live government web page, so presumably it's still valid.

*Edit: DRL = Daytime running lights
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 04:11:16 pm by richtea »

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 03:41:38 pm »
Hi k collective, I was out on my Ducati at the time so have the option to have the headlight on, following day out on the K and its normal misjudged service with everyone else on the road again, on non sunny days its not so much of an issue however, I fail to see how headlights help on sunny days
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 06:38:11 pm »
People see me. Because light. :P

But today coming home at dusk I came across a willy head filtering against oncoming traffic on some old snotter with his headlight off. Many cars swerved at last moment. And I may have given him the finger. But he had a skull face mask thing on so I draw my own middle-class conclusions.

I'll always have headlight on. Commuting and filtering on a blue sky day i'm flipping full beaming when coming up the queue of 3 lanes of traffic where everyone is making a last moment jump to the outside lane. I get more people not jumping out when I have my full beam on. But I then turn it back to dipped because.

So anyway. It's all subjective, however i'm going with the world - i.e. DRLs exist for a reason.

Apologies for the rant, my top experience annoyed me a bit, though it isn't exactly related to your blue sky stealth approach :P
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:54:48 pm »
Nothing can take the place of common sense Matt as we both know, others like matey in the skull mask are just Darwin award fodder👍

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 08:02:33 am »

Doesn't seem to be any legal requirement in the UK:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/daytime-running-lights/daytime-running-lights#legislation-and-requirements

> Motorcycles do not currently require DRL* to be fitted, but most manufacturers voluntarily opt for an AHO (Automatic Headlight On) system to be installed as an alternative. Changes to European legislation will, in future permit manufacturers to fit DRL on their motorcycles.

It's dated 2010 but a live government web page, so presumably it's still valid.

*Edit: DRL = Daytime running lights

Thanks Rich. I thought it was a mandatory requirement rather than a voluntary one.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 10:23:37 am »
...Richard who is fast becoming the go-to Eurowotsit reasearcher-in-chief...

I'm gonna be forced to give him a reduced membership fee for all his hard work and to make up for all the money he is losing from his real job  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 11:00:26 am »
...Richard who is fast becoming the go-to Eurowotsit reasearcher-in-chief...

I'm gonna be forced to give him a reduced membership fee for all his hard work and to make up for all the money he is losing from his real job  8)

Real job - pah. Self-employment means I can allow myself as long on replying to you chaps as I would have spent in meetings at my (and Matt's) last place of employment.
That gives me about 4-5 hours per day spare, and still be as productive.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 08:51:38 am »
Don't remind me!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 11:11:22 am »
That gives me about 4-5 hours per day spare, and still be as productive.  ;D ;D ;D
I obviously got my life/work balance all wrong when I left corporate life. Instead of working 9 or 10 hour days, I started working 16 to 18 hour days... :o

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Black K1300S, S1000XR, T100, Duke 390, Elan
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 11:36:44 am »
I obviously got my life/work balance all wrong when I left corporate life. Instead of working 9 or 10 hour days, I started working 16 to 18 hour days... :o

At least you get to choose your own 16-18 hours  :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:08:00 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 12:10:48 pm »
Well, my clients did  8)

jesim1

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 11:48:49 am »
Mine come on automatically but I can turn the dipped beam off and just have DRLs, but I don't because I want to be as visible as possible and don't see how turning lights off would help this in any way?  ::)

James