Author Topic: Fitting Barkbuster Handguards to a K1300S (with Helibars!)  (Read 8388 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
So, finally got my sorry ass over to the see the guys at R&G in Alton this afternoon to do a trial fit of the Barkbusters handguards to the 13 now it has the Helibars fitted.

We already know that the Barkbusters will fit the K1300S with standard bars, witness TomK1300S's post on the subject. And we know that the fabric 'muffs' will fit the bike with Helibars albeit with a little nudge against the screen support on full lock.

Not being as manly as Ron and therefore able to carry off the 'girly muff' stuff, I wanted to know if the Storm Barkbusters would fit my bike. The guys at R&G had agreed to let me do a trial fit at their place rather than post them to me and have me post them back if they didn't fit satisfactorily.

Well, the great news is that they do fit, they don't foul anything whatsoever and although they make the bike look like a spaniel with floppy ears when viewed from the front, they are definitely a winter fitment so who cares.

These are the 'Storm Bar End Mounted for handlebars with fixed internal 6mm or 8mm threads' at £84.99 from R&G (other suppliers are available). Both standard bars and Helibars have 8mm threads.

These guards have plastic covers but for the flush among you, or indeed me if I was keeping them on all year round, there are carbon ones available. The fixing is a single point on the bar end with no fixing whatsoever on the inner end. The solid aluminium flat bar is very solid and the sliding fitment between the bar end and the flat bar allows for either of two forward/backward positions. I have mine on the rearmost hole and think it might just fould the screen support on the forward position.

Anyway, here are the details and some piccies so show the finished results.

This is the kit you need....

....and the details from the label....

Finished view from the seat....

....and from the front....

Some general shots of the guards....

Shot showing the clearance on the right....

....and the left....

All in all I am delighted with the quality, the finish and the fit, even though the sun seems to be here for a while.

On the downside, having these fitted means I have to sacrifice my cruise control throttle lock thingummy from the right bar end but that really only gets used in summer on long tours so no great sacrifice really!

There is also a gap between the fitting and the end of the grips but if this starts to annoy me it can always be covered with a bit of flubber!

These fit so well that I am sure that even my very picky MoT tester won't be able to find fault with them.

First test ride with these fitted will be tomorrow in 16 deg heat so I will wear my summer gloves and report back when I have put some miles on them.

Brian (who now has toasty fingers wherever he goes, even without the heated grips on  8) )
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:21:59 pm by Phmode »

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
Re: Fitting Barkbuster Handguards to a K1300S (with Helibars!)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:21:49 am »
Very nice Brian all you need now is some lights on the front of them, it breaks them up a bit.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 05:11:46 pm »
Do not give him any new ideas. :P
Embrace the wind.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:40:29 pm »
From our esteemed Patriarch's previous posts, I would suggest that additional bling lights are the last thing that he'll be adding to Black Beauty!

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 07:44:06 pm »
Afraid that we are so addicted to bits and parts that the word last is not included in our vocabulary am afraid.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 01:39:42 pm »
Spent the day on the bike and can confirm that the Barkbusters are waaaaayyyyyyy too effective at keeping the draft off your hands in 16 degree temps; even in summer gloves my hands were too warm at times and I found myself lifting the back of my hands into the airstream to let a little 'cool' into the scoops on top of the Alpinestars.

By the time the temperature had dropped to 10 degrees last night and when I would normally be wearing the winter 365's, the summer gloves were still effective without the heated grips on.

Off to Wales in ten days for a quick romp and it is likely going to hiss down so may keep them on till then, might not!

I can confirm that at no time did I grab a handful of plastic and wasn't even aware that the guards were even on till the pinkies started getting warm.

Brian (who is delighted with the finished product, especially as they come in that rather fetching shade of black, known as high gloss  8) )

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 03:22:09 pm »
Black beuty,  we know   
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 03:31:11 pm »
...and so to summer! No more continental summers for us of course, we are now relegated to dreary, wet and cold UK summers as befits an island in the North Sea.

However, on the off chance that today's sun might last till tomorrow, it was time to take off the Barkbusters and go back to my cruise control and draughty pinkies; the Wrinklies run a week or so ago proving beyond doubt that warm weather and hand guards do not mix unless you are of a Mediterranean make up, and I'm not. I sweat on a cold winter's day and have used my heated grips so little over the years I have to consult the owner's manual to find out how to turn them on  8)

So, out wih the entire tool set and this is where we hit a problem. The bolts for the K's bars, supplied with the kit, are long, countersunk, 8mm bolts with 15mm diameter, 5mm Allen heads!, pre-coated with some very RED thread lock. I did wonder about stripping this off and using my usual Loctite but frankly couldn't be arsed! BIG MISTAKE!

I have a real problem with those who use 5mm Allen slots on large-headed bolts. The SW-Motech AluRack fittings come to mind here. They are also 15mm diameter countersunk heads only shorter than the ones for the Barkbusters. These large-headed bolts have a huge grip area and when combined with, frankly too much, thread lock get very difficult to remove. I actually snapped a nearly new chrome-moly driver bit taking the Alu-Rack off the 12S some years ago as well as knackering the head of the bolt.

My 1/4" drive ratchet wouldn't budge the Barkuster bolts and it was touch and go as to whether the 3/8" ratchet driver would make much impression. Bearing in mind that these bolts were done up to the correct torque when I fitted the Barkbusters a couple of months ago, it isn't as if I was being a butcher!

After a fair amount of gentle to'ing and fro'ing with the 18" breaker bar (with a 5mm Halfords Professional Allen socket on the end) the bolts finally came free and my now aching pinkies can breathe when I ride!

Needless to say the red stuff has been washed away with some of that Methylene Chloride (recommended by TomK1300S) specially bought for this purpose  8)

My recommendation is, if you are fitting Barkbusters either use a bolt with a sensible size bit hole (difficult to find) or strip off the red stuff and use releasable Loctite if you ever intend to remove them.

Brian (who is now trying to remember where all his tools usually live  :o )

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 07:07:33 pm »
Hahahaha was expecting something like that to happen. ???
To much time without something of take you out of your waters.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Bandit2beemer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 01:50:19 pm »
Brian did you notice is there was any extra vibration in the bars when fitted?

I have the need for warmer hands on my R

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 02:13:41 pm »
Absolutely none that I can detect Stuey! I didn't notice it when I put them on and nor did I notice it when I took them off for the summer.

Mind, I don't run standard bar-end weights in the summer as I have a throttle-lock cruise control fitted with a matching weight for the left bar and these are both lighter than the standard weights.

These are the guards I have fitted....

http://www.barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/bmw/k1300r

....the Storm with single point fixing and they are the ones available for the R.

Note that if you have really cold hands and a long commute, then Ron (drumwrecker) has fitted the BBZ 'muffs' and while being a bit 'girlie' they look OK and he reckons do the business really well. I know they 'just' touch the screen on full lock but one assumes he took them off for the MoT!

For me, the Storm is ideal and they will be going on any day now  8)

Offline Bandit2beemer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 02:32:35 pm »
Thanks Brian there doesn't seem to be many places to buy them only found eBay and

http://www.chainspeed.co.uk/products/BARKBUSTERS-STM%252d007-Universal-Handguards-with-Handlebar-End-Mounting-6mm-or-8mm/584.html

So might have a look about . Hopefully I can wear summer gloves with heated grips on most of the year

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 02:49:29 pm »
Loads of dealers on the BarkBusters website. R&G are where mine came from and they are all the same price.

These guys in Buxton are your nearest dealers...

http://yamahaatvandquadsbuxton.co.uk/product-category/by-brand_pg_bybrand/barkbusters_pg_bb_/barkbusters_new_barkbusters/

...only a 55 mile bimble from Chester and they have huge stock and you only need the generic bar end fitting kit so they are bound to have it available.

Simples!

Offline Bandit2beemer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 06:42:18 pm »
Thanks I sent them an email this morning hoping to ride over this week

Offline Bandit2beemer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 06:16:03 pm »
Fitted today just need to get out and test them now