Author Topic: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE  (Read 28787 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2019, 10:42:06 am »
Time for a quick update I think. Following on from the success of the Old Gits trip to the Dolomites where, with the exception of seat comfort, the H2 SX showed it could do everything a K1300S could only better, faster, quicker and easier, and while using only slightly more fuel, It was back to the daily commuting grind from Suffolk down to the South Bank and back.

The 7500 mile service has now been done. I had already changed the air filter to a reusable one so I didn’t have to pay for that but I did have the sprockets changed (from 18/44 to 19/42). This ought to be an easy job on a chain drive bike but is recognised as a 2 plus hour job on the owners forums due to the requirement to drain the cooling system and undo the water pump in order to get to the front sprocket. I was also having an issue with the cornering lights in that I couldn’t get them to switch on. (It turns out that neither I nor the dealer had “clicked” to the requirement to have the engine running when changing the cornering lights setting. It needed Kawasaki to point this out!!!! This is different to every other of the 100’s of settings which can be done with the engine off!)

Even with this extra work being done, the total bill was £290. (I had supplied the new sprockets and we used the original chain.) Measured against the cost of BMW servicing, that seems to me to be pretty damn reasonable.

With the sprockets changed, the bike is definitely more relaxed. 5000rpm in 6th is now 85mph and it is ultimately geared for 205 in top at the red line, not that I’ll ever even try to get there. ;)  It has taken the edge off the top gear roll on but it still manages 60 to 100mph in 5 seconds, thus quicker than the K1300S. Through the gear acceleration has not been effected although it may not be quite as keen to pick the front wheel up as it was. What has changed is that my daily commute now needs around 0.5 to 0.75 litres less fuel (or just under £1 less to refuel). This means that it’s now pretty much an exact match for both range and consumption to my K1300Ss while still offering noticeable more power if/when I want it.

While still early days, all of the components are still looking good and doing what they should. The bike does seem to attract the dirt more than the K1300Ss did so doesn’t look it’s best unless it’s been washed.

So, half way through my first summer of commuting on the H2 SX SE, and over 8000 miles in and my opinion has not changed. The K1300S was definitely the best “do everything” sport tourer on the market. Then BMW chose to discontinue it and Kawasaki launched the H2 SX. The K1300S is still a superb package and offers excellent value for money, even allowing for some of its known foibles. However, the H2 SX SE is definitely a better bike in just about every way you could measure (with the exception of seat comfort). It offers more of the “sport” part of sport touring without any compromise on the “touring” part. It is immensely capable, incredibly enjoyable, stunningly fast but supremely controlled. Is it worth trading in a good K1300S for just to get the “extras”, probably not but, if you’re looking at a replacement for your K1300S, and want a bike that does everything a K1300S does, but better, then give a H2 SX some serious consideration.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2019, 10:45:17 am »
You are an excellent biographer David enjoyed your reports . On the rear brake what is it’s composition had Zx9r the faster green model circa 1999 previously while the seat was a bit of a plank would have thought these would have moved to something more comfortable. Dare I say would you think of scavenging a K 1300 seat to rebuild it? The rear brake on the Z would offer very little feed back and could catch you out the recommended rear pad was an organic pad not sintered would it be worth using something similar. Well wear with your new machine.

The H2 seat is a 2 part affair, with the rider and pillion being separate units so I don't think utilising a K1300S seat has any mileage. I think I just need to wait until the likes of Corbin or Sargent produce a replacement.

Thanks for the advice on rear pads. I'll try a change of pad when the current ones are end of life.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2019, 02:59:12 pm »

I think I just need to wait until the likes of Corbin or Sargent produce a replacement.

https://www.sargentcycle.co.uk/acatalog/sargent-products-under-development.html
'Kawasaki Z1000 H2/SE/SX'

Book your place on the waiting list!

If nothing else, contacting them early let's them know they have a market.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 03:01:13 pm by richtea »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2019, 05:26:02 am »
Good idea Rich, e-mail sent.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2019, 01:13:01 pm »
Woohoo! Sargent have a seat in production. Should be available in the UK in August!

https://www.sargentcycle.co.uk/acatalog/sargent-kawasaki-z1000-motorcycle-seat-2018.html

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2019, 02:20:58 pm »
That seat shape looks awfully like the one for the K and knowing how your botty/leg combination simply lerrrved my Sargent seat (i.e. not at all) then I would be looking to try the first one sold rather than being the guinea-pig David  8)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2019, 02:29:25 pm »
It is a concern Brian but the bit of my bum that I sit on while I'm on the H2 SX is very different to the bit of bum that I sat on while on a K1300S. As such, I expect (hope!) that the H2 SX Sargent seat will be different to the K1300S seat.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2019, 03:54:26 pm »
If you don't like it, you'll have no problem selling it, just like any Sargent seat.
Although you may lose 30% or so, it seems a fair gamble when you consider the miles you're doing.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2019, 12:10:09 pm »
Having just clicked over the 10,000 mile mark, and the thread hijack of the “new member” thread, I thought it was time for another update.

Probably the easiest thing to say is that nothing has changed! The H2 SX is still devastatingly fast, enormous fun, hugely practical and a complete pain in the arse! :( That last comment relates entirely to the seat, and only the seat. The riding position still fits me perfectly but the seat becomes a challenge after about 60 minutes. I’m still waiting for the Sargent seat to become available (any day now) and I’m hoping it does the job.

Despite a real (dyno’d) 190bhp at the rear wheel, and occasional use of all 190 horses :D , the Pilot Road 5s are surviving remarkably well. They’ve now done over 6000 miles and have another 1000+ miles in them before I’ll replace them. Likewise, the chain is surviving really well. It was adjusted by the dealer at the 7500 mile service when they fitted the 18/42 sprockets.  Other than that, it’s had no adjustment but will be in need of some adjustment in the next 1000 miles.

The change of gearing has had the effect I wanted. The bike now feels a little calmer at normal road speeds (closer to the K1300S) although going above 6k rpm still puts the rest of the world into reverse. 5000rpm is 85mph on the speedo (82 on the sat. nag.) so motorway riding is definitely more relaxed.

While only 6 months old, and those being spring and summer months, the components, paint and cycle parts show no signs of wear or aging. The bike still feels new and looks the part on those few occasions I actually get the bucket and sponge out and wash it!

On the international forums, I’ve now heard of the first H2 SX failure. The bike had done 22,000km but had been breathed on from new to the point that it had been dyno’d at 245bhp at the wheel. It had then been used very regularly on the track and on the strip to put “lesser vehicles in their place”. The failure was a cracked piston! I can’t say I’m surprised and I don’t see that as any indication of a weakness in the design.

All of this means I still 100% feel that the H2 SX is the spiritual successor to the K1300S. The bike BMW should have built, but didn’t. It takes the whole ethos of the K1300S and does it better.  I’m still a very happy chappie!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2019, 02:54:47 pm »
Thanks for the update, David - an excellent write-up as ever.

Looking forward to the Sargent review. As is your posterior.  ;D

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2019, 11:39:08 pm »
Have you noticed how much the fairing/headlight projects forward of the front wheel axle on the H2 in relation to other bikes?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2019, 08:47:55 am »
Have you noticed how much the fairing/headlight projects forward of the front wheel axle on the H2 in relation to other bikes?

Indeed. Personally, I don't like it that much but it is what it is!

I wonder if it's Kawasaki's "dig" at Honda with their current "pug nose" corporate look for a number of their bikes?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2019, 10:26:26 pm »
I wonder, is it noticeable when you ride the bike?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2019, 05:29:51 am »
Not noticeable as the nose can't be seen from riding position. Handlebars, dashboard, screen etc. are all in "normal" place so the rider is unaware. Even in the dark, the light doesn't seem further forward.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2019, 06:50:43 pm »
Good write-up David.

I think I could do without the US-spec amber reflectors on the forks. I mean, wtf?

Also, I think I would have to put a bit of black tape over the 'Super Charged' logo, a bit too dweeby for me... :D