Author Topic: Service stamp book. Used buyers beware!  (Read 5668 times)

gibbo

Service stamp book. Used buyers beware!
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:52:13 am »
Well, as most of us know, buying a used bike can have it's pitfalls, but it's always nice to see a bike with a nice fully stamped up service history It helps with residuals when you sell on, but again, this is not real proof that the bike has been serviced properly.

I had just an experience a few weeks back with this. My dear wife who suffers with MS loves being a pillion, but she's gradually deteriorating. Her purple Bonnie is a great bike for her and I take her out on it as often as I can, but more than a 100 mile round trip she suffers greatly with pain so we're trying out other bikes that will increase her comfort as well as increased mileage.

I've sat her on a multitude of touring bikes and the Yammy FJR seems to be the favourite contender. The used market is awash with them and I've ridden a few from dealers and private sellers. Not a decent one among them as yet. Most have been abused. Many examples with front fork seals leaking, saggy rear shocks, cracked fairing bits, rattly cam chains, badly scored top yolks where prison officers keyrings once flapped about in the wind, and the big major services just around the corner. Anyway,  I digress. The latest bike I viewed looked the business but the owner was a little bit cagey regarding the service history. When I pressed him further on the matter he admitted that he did all his servicing himself but got his mate from a Yammy dealership to fully stamp up the bike's service book.

So there we have it. I'm willing to spend good hard cash on a good used example, but they're as rare as hens teeth. The stamped service book is a thinly veiled attempt at duping the unwary. So beware.  >:(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Service stamp book. Used buyers beware!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:56:27 am »
Wow! Never heard of such a thing. I think if I were you I would have been having a word with the dealer principal of the nearest Yamaha dealers.

Brian (who knew there was a reason why he always kept those little bit of paper with such large numbers printed on them; it might not prove the bike was serviced properly, but it proves it was the dealer who didn't do it and not me)

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 02:07:59 pm »
I wouldnt worry about who has done the servicing, just that its been done, with receipts. The thing to ask any FJR owner is "When was the rear suspension linkage last serviced". If he or she  looks blankly,  walk away.(Unless of course its almost new)
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline gramey

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 02:52:06 pm »
I bought my bike from a 2nd hand dealers, sorry pre-owned these days, who had accepted that the bike had a full service history, as did I when I bought it from him. On checking with BMW UK, sadly after I'd already bought it, they hadn't had teh machine in their network for years. When I enquired as to the identity of who had been stamping the service book it turned out to be the Emergency Services Workshop in London who said they were unable to provide me with any records as to what work had been carried out on the bike as having been sold it was no longer on their system. A further call to BMW then revealed that the previous 4 recalls had been missed!

If I'd had half an ounce of brain and one decent legal leg to stand on in hindsight I should have returned it and asked for my money back, hindsight is a wonderful thing.  :(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 03:22:33 pm »
And there was me thinking the boys in blue and green always kept their steeds in tip-top condition, service-wise.

Brian (who hopes the guys who ride em know they are having their lives put at risk by their own side)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 03:45:28 pm »
This is how is done here. The potential buyer and the owner visit with the bike any authorized dealer and ask for a copy of bikes history.  A couple of minutes later the head mechanic provides a hard copy of it, for this they charge 5 euros, but most of the times they do not charge this service. Buyer can also  request a test and an estimation; that takes about one hour after which the head mechanic provides an estimation about bike's working condition and repairs dimmed necessary, the charge is 45 euros. If potential buyer demands a detail check then bike has to remain a hole day with them, this time a written statement detailing bike's condition and repairs necessary is provided. Charge is 140 euros.
My head mechanic and his first assistant are the only ones that can sign the book, no one else can sign it, if they are absent then we have to visit dealer at a later time to collect signature. that is a safeguard and we know exactly how their signatures like and can easily compare them. The system seems to work with about 4000 owners service bikes at that specific dealer.
All the above are directives  given  and described in BMW Motorrad dealers and mechanics book of conduct. So its the official recommendation.
Still I can think a thousand ways to counterfeit a stamp or a signature, so, we all need to be extra careful about a used bike, personally admit that I was wrong in my estimation more that 2 times cause simply I put beauty before all and bikes are beautiful machines. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 04:17:35 pm »
If I go ahead with the purchase of my mate's K13S, then I am going to have to be verrrrrrry careful  ;D

This bike has 750 miles on it and I was with him for about 200 of those but of course, who know what he got up to on the motorway to Holland and back.

And I am going to have to study the 600 miles service stamp in his book very carefully; you never know what dastardly deeds he and the Service manager at Vines got up to when I wasn't looking  8)

On a serious note, when I have done my own servicing, I always mark up the book and keep meticulous records of receipts and print-outs of the service schedule I used. I have never had a buyer refuse my bike once they see the records, as long as they accept it is my work and not the dealer's.

Brian (who thinks lying and cheating should be hanging offences and he has never done either, honest guv  ::) )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 04:28:57 pm »
Common Brian its an almost new bike, don't bother searching for its records, just change oil and hit the roads.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Ned1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 05:30:50 pm »
Brian........
After reading the above I think you better get the deal done before someone
beats you to it.

:o   
Ride like they are out to kill you and live to ride another day

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 05:47:09 pm »
No-one else knows about it, except you, and him, and her, and him ..... ::)

Brian (who needs to find a local bank with Hatton Garden standard security)

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 07:19:47 pm »
I bought my bike from a 2nd hand dealers, sorry pre-owned these days, who had accepted that the bike had a full service history, as did I when I bought it from him. On checking with BMW UK, sadly after I'd already bought it, they hadn't had teh machine in their network for years. When I enquired as to the identity of who had been stamping the service book it turned out to be the Emergency Services Workshop in London who said they were unable to provide me with any records as to what work had been carried out on the bike as having been sold it was no longer on their system. A further call to BMW then revealed that the previous 4 recalls had been missed!

If I'd had half an ounce of brain and one decent legal leg to stand on in hindsight I should have returned it and asked for my money back, hindsight is a wonderful thing.  :(

It all depends on the stamps in your service book. If there's just a hint that the bike had been serviced by a bona fide BMW dealer I reckon you have a case. If I was you I would seriously consider taking legal advice. It looks to me as though you have been mis-sold. Does either your household, car or motorbike insurance provide you with legal expenses cover? If not you could try your local Citizens Advice Bureau. If the service stamps are obviously from a non-franchised dealer or mechanic then I am afraid you are probably stuffed but then again it will not cost you anything to speak with your insurers or the local CAB.

Good luck anyway.

Cheers for now,
Tony

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 08:53:14 pm »
If you check the BM blurb even if the bike has stood all year from the last service it still needs a yearly service be it the original or extended warranty and the risk of pointing out the obvious buy a k from a non BM shop :-\,have a look on the Yank site there's another Brit turned up and blow me if he hasn't done same.

As for buying secondhand the majority of mine have been bought private you can tell in 30 seconds or less  and having travelled for hours to see a minter!! Only to find out it's was anything but never travel more than 80 miles.

As for history mine has no stamped book it's all on the computer at Vines and Clarks.

And yes Graham I would take legal advice

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:02:15 pm »
Legal advice + 1

Brian (who would advocate fire-bombing them if you don't get your money back, but that would be against the law  ::) )

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 08:37:49 am »
And there was me thinking the boys in blue and green always kept their steeds in tip-top condition, service-wise.

They certainly used to, but when it came to service stamps, it depended on the force. Hampshire was (don't know if it still is) a BMW dealer when it came to servicing and was on the BMW parts network. The Met just fixed the bikes and stamps? What were those for?

Might also have come down to how the bikes were issued to riders - Met used to be that a rider drew a bike from the pool, other forces issued a bike to a rider and it was theirs until the bike (or the rider) was retired
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...

gibbo

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 10:53:46 am »

Hi Graham

I was most perturbed to read of your plight and sympathise with the position you are in. I would disagree with those who suggest you seek legal advise on this matter. I think you'd be throwing good money after bad, the legal costs could be horrendous and a certainty of a result in your favour would be slim, especially as a fair amount of time has lapsed since your purchase.

I'd stick with it, get it fixed as finances allow and then change it. It's a rotten feeling being duped (as I have in the past) no one, however clever they are, or think they are, are immune to these scams and deceptions.

Good luck.