Author Topic: BMW extended Warranty!  (Read 14399 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: BMW extended Warranty!
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 07:45:49 am »
No one should ride or drive without recover assistance, that is a point we all agree. Any way went the BMW Mondial assistance way since they offer coverage for the second bike for only 28 euros. Total for both 100 and worldwide coverage.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 12:12:44 pm »
Good deal Costas.

Brian (who hopes you don't need it when you ride to UK to visit Paul  8) )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 01:38:19 pm »
Paul promised a trip to TT next year, Hope all goes well an start planning.
Still, misses wants a trip as early as this September. will see.
Embrace the wind.

Offline midlife crisis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 10:01:57 pm »
a eurokclub TT outing, now that is a plan!!!

Graham who loved the TT but not the camping, sorry to steal your signature piece Brian

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 10:42:38 pm »
We used to stay in Port Erin on the other side of the Island, quiet and peaceful and a great ride to the course and the capital. We tried staying in Douglas one year but it was just madness.

I still have the Mad Sunday T-shirt lurking somewhere.

Brian (who fell out with The Steam Packet company when they dropped every bike on board on the way home)

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 08:55:22 am »
You can sign up for warranty here

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Login/Index

Given the raft of spares my K has gone through I simply couldn't consider owning it without the warranty. The other bonus is it includes Europe wide recovery with bike hire / repatriation etc
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 03:50:06 pm »
You can sign up for warranty here

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Login/Index

Given the raft of spares my K has gone through I simply couldn't consider owning it without the warranty. The other bonus is it includes Europe wide recovery with bike hire / repatriation etc
Thanks for the link Steve.
How much are you paying at the moment? I have just had a quote of £348 (to include travel recovery) is that a reasonable figure?

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 05:08:34 pm »
That sounds about right Bob

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 09:30:38 pm »
I pay mine monthly ISTR it's £30 ish.

Given the two rear ESA's, the ABS pump and the throttle bodies I've had recently it's MORE than paid for itself :)
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline WOK13EE

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT EE
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 10:17:32 am »
I pay mine monthly ISTR it's £30 ish.

Given the two rear ESA's, the ABS pump and the throttle bodies I've had recently it's MORE than paid for itself :)

I used it for two years (did not renew this January -maybe I will)  Also, paid for itself.  The include European breakdown cover makes it great value.

BD
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that we learn nothing from the lessons of history

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 03:07:42 pm »
My K1300S has just passed 30,000 miles, so the ESA will no longer be covered. Apart from the steering Ball Joints, is there anything else major that I should be aware of? I don't want to pay out £300+ for no reason on a six year old bike?

I was told that my Superbike Handlebar kit may void the steering Ball Joints warranty, and also, as mine isn't completely standard - Quill Exhaust and Evoluzione filters - it looks like the engine wouldn't be covered either?

I have to say the warranty it came with was good. When I put it in for it's yearly service they fixed a heated grip problem, and when doing the wheel flange re-call they replaced some of the final drive bearings.

:o Which way should you go - I guess you only know at the end of the year?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 11:33:05 am »
My K1300S has just passed 30,000 miles, so the ESA will no longer be covered. Apart from the steering Ball Joints, is there anything else major that I should be aware of? I don't want to pay out £300+ for no reason on a six year old bike?

I was told that my Superbike Handlebar kit may void the steering Ball Joints warranty, and also, as mine isn't completely standard - Quill Exhaust and Evoluzione filters - it looks like the engine wouldn't be covered either?

I have to say the warranty it came with was good. When I put it in for it's yearly service they fixed a heated grip problem, and when doing the wheel flange re-call they replaced some of the final drive bearings.

:o Which way should you go - I guess you only know at the end of the year?

I'm going to face the same choice in about 2 years, due to rather higher mileage than expected. I'm enjoying ownership too much.  :)

Option 1:
- keep paying the £300 warranty, and be (mostly) at ease

Option 2:
- put the £300 into a bank account each year until the ESA goes wrong

Option 3:
- part-exchange for a lower mileage model, and have complete ease of mind - at a higher cost, but the younger bike may also give more pleasure

Option 4:
- go on an extra £300 tour every year, and ignore it all. Everything's going to be fine.

Option 5:
- buy an FJR

I'll probably go for option 3 - I quite like the beast, but a fresh one would be sweet.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 11:52:31 am »
As you may know I went for option 5  ;D

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 12:28:12 pm »
It is difficult my renewal is in November cold P down and with no thought of riding a bike,well there is but you know what I mean!! and the thought of coughing up another 300+ if you have a 1200 you either go Tom's route and I do that with my other bikes,or bite the bullet I nearly didn't go with mine and bloody hell I'm glad I did.

With a 1300 I'd say you have at the very least an evens chance,the problem being is you have your bike serviced at a BM dealer at some time your going to get a kicking financially at the last count a rear ESA shock was about 1800 quid can you imagine rocking up at a franchised BM dealer asking them to fit some old shock you have bought off ebay  :-[

As already said you can go route 5  ;) took me 30 years to sick to death of the same old Japanese good they are bland they are,I can understand Rae doing what he's done but you wait till he's looking for that extra gear and when stuck on the outside of that line of cars wishing he that extra 30/40hp but guys of our age have all been there at some time.

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 11:22:10 am »
Is that really true Chris?

We had folks on the old forum, even as late as autumn last year, getting a quote for the warranty on second-hand, privately purchased bikes but with a FBMWSH and they were coming in at about the £300 mark as long as they had less than 80,000 miles on the clock at the time.

I think you can buy a BMW extended warranty under certain conditions - service history, under 10 yrs old, less than 80,000 miles at the time of signing up.

If you are on risk, mileage can go over 80,000 miles and I' guess over 10 yrs too. I'm on monthly zero excess (and I reckond well quids in) at 83,300 miles and 7yrs. Apparently, they have to give me one month's notice of cessation of cover (that's what they said). Don't know how much to read into it but I think I'm staying under the radar on monthly, because I don't get asked how many miles questions.
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...