Things Bikers Love (or Hate) > Kit Reviews

Leather v Textile

(1/7) > >>

raesewell:
An interesting video from Motolegends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW9QvQOtW_g

black-k1:
Indeed, an interesting review but, like all opinion based comparisons, tends to miss some of the important elements and exposes personal bias.

There was no mention of fit, especially with good leaders, and the fact that well fitting leathers are MUCH better at holding the amour needed to protect against impact in the place on the body it's supposed to be.

There was no mention of the fact that, in general, for a given price, leather garments generally offer a a higher safety certification than textiles.

The point on comfort was very much his opinion and was very dismissive of leathers. I've done many 600+, 12 hour days in my leather suit, ridden in temperatures ranging from high 20's to around 10 all while in no more discomfort than my textile clad fellow riders, and often suffering less discomfort than them.

I've ridden in cheap leathers, cheap textiles, expensive leathers (BKS made to measure) and expensive textiles (Hein Gericke Master V, BMW Street Guard, Klim Carlsbad ) and there is a reason my go-to suit, whatever the journey, including touring, Sunday afternoon blasts and commuting, is my BKS leathers.

That said, whatever works for you is what you should wear.

chriscanning:
Always worn a textile jacket with leather trousers...other half has a Rukka and i’ve got a Klim Both got Dainese keeks, couple of years ago I decided to have a custom pair trousers made..only cost 600 quid...i’ll cut a very long story down...and ended up giving them away..and they currently reside with their owner in the SoF...hey ho one lives and learns..or be it at a cost.

richtea:

--- Quote from: black-k1 on January 13, 2022, 09:56:33 am ---There was no mention of fit, especially with good leaders, and the fact that well fitting leathers are MUCH better at holding the amour needed to protect against impact in the place on the body it's supposed to be.

--- End quote ---

Exactly this.

I dared to buy some textile trousers for winter, Rae - oooo. Richa ones that normally would fit me reasonably well in the leg. They did, but the armour (D3O which I do quite like) was so tiny and poorly positioned that any crash would have shifted the armour or just whacked the bone to the side of it. They went back.

A good fit covers both angles of comfort and safety. But that doesn't automatically mean leather any more, I'd agree - maybe some custom textiles for winter use. 30% extra gets them made-to-measure.

raesewell:
Look out for textile with adjustable armour Rich  :winkthumbs:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version