Author Topic: K1300S/R supercharger kit  (Read 580 times)

Offline Antonio K1300S

• View Profile
K1300S/R supercharger kit
« on: November 22, 2023, 03:47:16 pm »
For those K1300S/R owners. We all enjoy our bikes and recognize they are a unique segment in the BMW family of great motorcycles.
I have been following TTS performance out of the UK (I cannot add a link to their site since this is my first post) and they are making outstanding supercharger kits for some bikes and brands, not to mention the several kits for the three generations of the Suzuki Hayabusa. I enquired with them about making a stage I supercharger kit (<300hp) for the K1300S hinging on the Hayabusa’s years of experience. The answer I got from them was that, unless there were at least ten requests, they would not consider dedicating the time to make one.
So here is my question: Anyone interested in supercharging his/her K1300? I am one.
For those seriously interested, please add to the list at the end of this thread. Please do not use this thread to discuss about the pros and cons of a supercharger kit. I appreciate that you contribute to this thread to add to the list.
If we get the 10 positive responses, let me get in contact with you all and I will channel the interest to TTS.
Thank you all

1. Antonio K1300S

Offline Antonio K1300S

• View Profile
Re: K1300S/R supercharger kit
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 07:54:35 am »
1. Antonio K1300S

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 08:19:25 am »
Hey Antonio. Welcome to the club!

Where are you located? UK or the mainland bit next door? :)

How long have you been a K1300 fellow? Many of us are in that cool dude camp of having owned 2 Ks :D. (some even at the same time!)

For my part in this grand story I've sadly migrated away from the K to an orange monstrosity which I can ride much better, for many reasons. I still look fondly upon any K I see though.

(and now in keeping with my taking any opportunity to mention it...) I actually saw a lovely blue K1300S last week, passing me as I was headed south towards Auckland. I imagine there aren't too many here in NZ.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 08:33:10 am »
Hi Antonio and welcome!

Like Matt, I have now moved away from the K1300 world (to the supercharged world as it happens :D ) so I'm not your target audience.

If I did have a K1300S there are a couple of things I'd be interested in knowing:

1. Do we know if the K1300 engine, gearbox and drive train is up to handling <300bhp and. more importantly, the huge increase in torque that will come with the engine being charged?
2. Is there any documented experience of anyone previously charging (super or turbo) one of these engines? (Perhaps in the 3-wheeled car world?)

I have no doubt TTS performance would develop a quality piece of kit that would deliver something substantial but my concern would be whether or not the engine would still be working 10,000 miles later.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Antonio K1300S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 09:34:37 am »
I rely on the experience TTS has accrued supercharging the Hayabusa. The engine block of the K1300S should be fine with a stage I kit (<300hp). TTS can code more than one ECU setting, like an ECO and SPORT mode, for example. The supercharged engine is more efficient than a naturally aspirated one, so in an ECO mode one can gain some more milage on commute rides. Leave the SPORT mode for the fun, weekend rides.     

Offline Yan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 01:14:20 pm »
I would imagine it could only handle a very low blow charge due to the already massive torque produced by the K.

Although an interesting mod, for me i would have to say no due to previous instances where i have been over zealous with the throttle only to encounter as best described as a bucking bronco due to violent shut off of the engine as the front wheel lifts (anti wheelie?)

Wouldn't you have to lower the compression as the supercharger increases pressure in the cylinders?

What would the kit consist of exactly except the obvious charger?

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 02:05:52 pm »
 2 words immediately spring to mind, Cooling and Clutch...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 05:59:58 pm »
Wot, you saying the K can't handle way more power and way more heat? Surely not...