Author Topic: Follow on  (Read 4118 times)

gibbo

Follow on
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:30:35 am »
As Brian recently reminded us of his SMIDSY's a while back and my recent close encounter (hence the recent Drift Ghost X purchase, software still available to update)  ;) it's all too easy to forget that we are probably the most vulnerable road users out there.

So, just to bring everyone back to reality, here's a few clips on what could go wrong even though you could be faultless. If you have a nervous disposition then please refrain from viewing.

Here's the link

https://youtu.be/qWxinaPNDgg

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Follow on
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 01:06:16 pm »
All so true.

However, as Martin was regaling me with stories of numerous friends who have all had life changing accidents whilst cycling, it seems we are not the most susceptible to injury...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 03:49:39 pm »
All so true.

However, as Martin was regaling me with stories of numerous friends who have all had life changing accidents whilst cycling, it seems we are not the most susceptible to injury...
Have to agree with you there Brian about cycling.

I have seen reference on another forum to the link posted by Gibbo which I guess is the head on between a Subaru running wide on a corner and hitting a motorcyclist head on and chose not to view it. Most of those that took a look wished that they hadn't.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 04:21:34 pm »
And here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-south-yorkshire-51071012/wrong-lane-driver-broke-biker-s-back-in-high-speed-crash

> South Yorkshire Police's PC Phil Carson said the footage of the crash in April 2019 was released to remind bikers about wearing the correct safety gear.

Oh, excellent - blame the motorcyclist for being vulnerable.

How about instead: '...reminding car drivers to not take corners stupidly fast or they go to prison.'?
I think that's probably the real lesson here.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 05:27:28 pm »
sometimes i watch a few of these type of videos just to keep me settled on the road.....not too many though or i would never go out again.
one of those cases where it doesn't really matter whose fault it was as the rider has to cope with the consequences regardless.
as phil esterhaus urged us...stay safe out there 

gibbo

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 09:39:31 am »
All so true.

The stats on both motorcycle and bicycle rider deaths in the UK make glum reading. The latest info I can glean is back to 2016.

Motorcycle rider deaths 319 and 5500 odd seriously injured.

Bicycle rider deaths 102 and nearly 3400 seriously injured.

It also reinforces my view that all cyclists should be insured to ride on our roads and wear a suitable kitemarked safety helmet. It probably wouldn't reduce the fatalities by much, but there would seem to be an increase on the number of cyclists killing or seriously injuring pedestrians.

I'm wondering how many electric (silent running) vehicles have been responsible for killing pedestrians and other road users. But that's another topic.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 11:24:29 am »
Interesting numbers. I'd like to see it per capita and then also per mile or hour spent on road or whatnot.

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 12:10:08 pm »
Back in the day when I used to cycle regularly, although not far, and spent a while using my bike to nip into town to do a little shopping, I actually made a frame to hold my old Krauser panniers on the back of the bicycle. The most immediate response was cars giving me a much wider berth when overtaking, much more than they ever did with the boxes on the Honda  8)

Then I discovered an orange plastic 'flag' thingummy that bolted to the seat stem and could be folded out on the offside (or flat against the top tube if not needed) and this made a huge difference. Even small cars would pass on the opposite side of the road; probably thought I was some kind of weirdo.

Out in the sticks where I am now, the biggest problem is the conflict between fast moving cars (read mine) and slow moving bicycles on the ever twisting roads. Even were I to stick to the mainly 50 or 60 limits it is way too fast when you come up behind someone round a blind bend on a sit up and beg with a basket on the front. And don't bother quoting the 'stopping on the same side of the road in the distance one can see to be clear' bit. Some folks round here do stick to that advice, although I'm not sure they have ever heard it quoted, they just drive reeeeeeally slowly and probably wouldn't see, or have the reactions to avoid, any unfortunate cyclists anyway.

One day, someone will invent the intelligent cat's eye which will flash red for 15 seconds after a cyclist has ridden past it.

Or perhaps we could make all cyclists wear safety helmets with very tall poles on top with flashing lights so we can see them over the hedges, a la the prototype sports car by Frank Costin (?) from the mid '70's which was so low that he incorporated a tall tower on the boot lif with a flashing beacon on the top of it because he felt too vulnerable testing it in the lanes round his workshop!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 02:49:00 pm »
Weirdo over Ledbury way with Krauser panniers on a pedal cycle. That explains the top box on a K1300S. ::)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Coully

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 04:37:02 pm »
There is also the SMIDEL

Sorry
Mate
I
Didn't
Even
Look.

As a suv driver up here did to me at a roundabout  on Sat, I proceeded on , I had right of way , she came out from the left ahead of me, did not look in the slightest, just ploughed on

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 04:42:25 pm »
It also reinforces my view that all cyclists should be insured to ride on our roads and wear a suitable kitemarked safety helmet. It probably wouldn't reduce the fatalities by much, but there would seem to be an increase on the number of cyclists killing or seriously injuring pedestrians.

Oh, excellent - blame the motor cyclist for being vulnerable.

That's the same logic as:
> ... remind bikers about wearing the correct safety gear.

It's generally the car/lorry that kills, not the cyclist taking a dive on their own (although that is possible, of course).

As a regular cyclist it amazes me how much dislike there is between motorcyclists and cyclists.
Surely we're all in the same boat:
- two wheels good, four wheels bad

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 05:17:47 pm »
There is also the SMIDEL

Sorry
Mate
I
Didn't
Even
Look.

As a suv driver up here did to me at a roundabout  on Sat, I proceeded on , I had right of way , she came out from the left ahead of me, did not look in the slightest, just ploughed on

See plenty of them, one a day maybe. My worries in cornwall in no particular order are no insurance, stoned  drunk, no licence , unroadworthy vehicle. This is based on listening to my sons and their friends. We also suffer from a universal 45mph speed regardless of dual carriageway , town, country. When I went on a speed awareness course and the lecturer had to define what a dual carriageway was I began to reassess what my fellow road users think

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 07:39:06 pm »

Oh, excellent - blame the motor cyclist for being vulnerable.

That's the same logic as:
> ... remind bikers about wearing the correct safety gear.

It's generally the car/lorry that kills, not the cyclist taking a dive on their own (although that is possible, of course).

As a regular cyclist it amazes me how much dislike there is between motorcyclists and cyclists.
Surely we're all in the same boat:
- two wheels good, four wheels bad
I'm a regular cyclist but I'm not surprised at all about the dislike between motorcyclists and cyclists.

I think that the situation got much worse after the TDF came over here. Too many cyclists on the road and most of them don't know how to ride in a group or on their own come to that. They don't single out when it's obvious that they should do. Too many run red lights and ride up the inside of commercial vehicles which are turning left. You also get the idiots that ride on the pavement and and expect pedestrians to move out of the way.

I do have third party insurance and wear a lid.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 10:12:04 pm »
I wonder who would be considered to be in the wrong in this scenario.
Driver reversing out of his driveway ( I know somebody will say he should have reversed into it) taking great care to make sur it is clear of pedestrians, walking pace 5 mph runner 10mph when a cyclist come by on the pavement 15 - 20mph and the cyclist hits the car.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 08:26:03 am »
Drum - I had that scenario, although I was going forward out of my drive. Saw the cyclist instantly, but he was about 10 ft away going fast. I managed to stop my car about halfway over the pavement, he braked as hard as he could but ended up with his back wheel off the ground, so he lost directional control. His front wheel hit my bonnet, he went over the top of it. As I got out the car to help him, he picked up his bike and cycled off without a word.

Concerned that he'd later try it on with the police, I went to them first to ask if it needed to be reported. The nice officer I spoke to said it was 100% the cyclists fault, as there's no way I could be expected to account for a speeding cyclist on the footpath. Had it been a pedestrian or a runner, both he and I would have been able to stop in time.

Back to the original post - the driver of the Subaru is actually the chairman of the Subaru International Drivers Club - the posts on their website supporting their man are comical - they just can't see what a (insert your favourite expletive here) he is.