Author Topic: clutch issue repair procedures by John Sykes on to fjtwelve BIKE.  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Rebuilt clutch ordered from John Sykes, just watching while he haggles on eBay with a Lithuanian over the price of a second-hand K13 clutch to modify and rebuild. Should be with me in time for my week off in October when I bring the bike back over and Ocean have agreed they will install it for me.

Update on clutch progress
"Have now completed the re engineering of the clutch basket and hub/pressure plate. Ready for de greasing and assembly once its dried off. The new pack of clutch plates arrived today so if all runs to plan I'm hoping it will be assembled by the end of the week."

Royal Mail and Ocean Falmouth willing it should be in the bike in w/c 15 October. I am really looking forward to getting back to a normal clutch instead of this on / off switch, and keen to see if any of the other vibes and noises off disappear too.

"Basket is rebuilt using new main load springs and idle control spring, other new internal parts and with the 1200 engines oil pump drive. The hub (lamellar pack) has all new faces for the friction plates on the flange and pressure plate with a complete new set of friction and steel plates. I have also incorporated the the 1300 engines type of anti chatter spring withing the plate pack as hoped."
“The clutch is assembled dry (no oil other than needed for assembly) with the two main parts ready to fit. Both basket and particularly the hub with its new plates only need a further small amount of oil pouring into their centres to wet everything all over. All this talk of leaving to soak overnight immersed in oil is not required. Perhaps wishful thinking by folk who know their clutch is in poor condition.

I have also included a separate steel plate and a separate friction plate in the box. They are 0.2 and 0.8 mm thicker than those in the rebuilt hub pack. These could come in handy to save the clutch if exchanged for their thinner equivalents to restore the original thickness if there is any sign of slip due to lining wear in the distant future. Perhaps pass on to future owners just in case so that there is maximum life to be had out of the clutch and bike.

The bikes original thrust washer between basket and hub along with release bearing and hub nut need transferring to be used again. Please encourage the workshop to fit the hub without dismantling. Some try to remove the six hexagon socket head screws that compress the pressure spring as they don't have the correct large socket for the hub nut. They need a thin wall socket to fit through the release bearing carrier to tighten the main hub nut. Even new hubs have been fitted at BMW shops by dismantling first. Problem is the alignment can be disturbed and the bike kangaroos off the line the second the second it starts to move forwards.”
Embrace the wind.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: clutch issue repair procedures by John Sykes on to fjtwelve BIKE.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 06:47:16 pm »
I have contacted John Sykes the clutch doctor referred to on various clutch related posts on here, and a very long string on I-bmw, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=51004 where John uses fourhundred4 as a forum name, and he has recommended that he rebuilds and modifies a secondhand low mileage K12 clutch for me, substantially cheaper than getting all the K13 parts and mods required to fit a K12. I am waiting for the Ocean BMW quote, but think once I get it, it will be telephone numbers, and I will be asking them to fit one of Mr Sykes' specials.

john.sykes01@btinternet.com
john@vibefreev.com 
John Sykes 32 Epsom Way Kirkheaton Huddersfield HD5 0LE United Kingdom
T: + 44 (0)1484 435084 
M: +44 (0)7770 772456 
www.vibefreev.com  
Embrace the wind.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 06:49:41 pm »
Might needed to ask for fjtwelve permission before posting his posts on a new thread hope he's not mad at me.
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 07:05:22 pm »
I'm sure Martin won't mind Costas, it'll save him the effort.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 10:04:32 pm »
Nae problem I was just about to do this. Quite happy for admin to pluck bits out of my thread and put it where its useful at any point

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:54:13 am »
Plucking is not really in our remit, we normally leave it to the members to index their own threads and information. Once indexed it can be retrieved in the future for the benefit of everyone.  ;)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 05:23:12 pm »

Man knows how to pack it courier proof

[/quote]

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 06:03:34 pm »
Excellent job. We knew John was highly recommended and indeed his job deserves all the credit.
Awaiting installation photos and review.
Embrace the wind.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 05:26:30 pm »
Here's the old clutch. Available to anyone else who might want to go the same route. 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:48:04 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 07:44:04 pm »
Sorry, forgot to tell you the cost. Ocean charged me £124 + VAT to fit the clutch, labour new gasket and 18 new screws.
John charged me £620 to rebuild the clutch, and £10 for the courier
The second-hand clutch was £165 which John bought off ebay
Total £944.
Have ridden it around the block and no nasty noises or kangarooing. Longer ride to follow

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 06:41:54 pm »
Went out for a 150 mile blip around Cornwall today

Rather than just sticking it in 6th and droning along as much of my recent riding has been, we had a good old thrape along the A39 up to Bude, cross country to Liskeard and back along the A38. The clutch is much smoother and so is the bike. The enormous crash into 1st gear seems to have mostly disappeared. Pulling away its possible to feather the clutch, we now have a fader instead of an on/off switch. Clutchless changes especially down shifts are much easier. Getting it into neutral while the engine is running is now easily possible. Below 7000 there are a lot less vibes, in the largely still air today it was just so smooth, apart from there's a rough patch around 7000, and above that, well, I found the rev limiter again.
Just like having a clutch really  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 12:09:39 am »
...an indispensable addition to most vehicles methinks  ;D

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 08:47:40 am »
As is the way in life...you only take notice when you need to  :-[, dug this thread up while on a search, just in the process of fitting a 1300 gearbox.....BUT, years ago had the on/off clutch feel on my 1200 and Vines ‘fixed it’ just thinking...shit... hope the 1300 clutch isn’t going to be the same and thinking of heading that off via this thread, any input gents.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 01:33:48 pm »
So, is that just a K1200 issue or does the 13 have dodgy clutch also.. 25K miles and mine seems ok, clunky into 1st but no worse than my KTM in that respect. Bite point ok, some vibes but new (good) oil helps. No slip, even behaved in traffic during recent hot spell.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 05:13:19 pm »
So, is that just a K1200 issue or does the 13 have dodgy clutch also.

It depends on the year of your K (the later the better), and therefore which version of clutch it has.
I did 38k on a 2012 and 30k on a 2015 (so far), with no problems.

A useful thread, which has a link to Costa's 9 clutch types:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3394
And Costa's original msg:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3006.msg36317#msg36317