Author Topic: K1300S  (Read 49932 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
K1300S
« on: November 05, 2019, 03:19:29 pm »
Here we go again from 9802 miles. Wet from leaving the showroom...

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:46:42 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: K1300S
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 04:26:46 pm »
Are you going to stick with the high seat?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 06:27:53 pm »
Well, he does have a low seat to hand...

Lovely contrast there Martin and MUCH more conspicuous on the open road  :D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 07:10:49 pm »
Matt black respray booked... ;)
Not sure if I want to be more conspicuous given my history of attracting attention, even in the dark at 545 am. The recent encounters my wife and I have had in our less than stealthy Q5 suggests to me people have stopped looking even if I had flashing neon signs.
The Enduroguard kit has reflective strips, as has my soft bag and Baglux tank bag. Enough for me, I ride assuming no one has seen me anyway.
Still, I am considering joining the local Blood Bike team, thus have to be IAM. Having internal debate as whether or not I want to do this. Pretty sure my riding style doesn't fit the requirement but the bikes are RTs yellow with orange stripes and blue flashing lights so should be reasonably conspicuous on that..

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 07:13:38 pm »
Are you going to stick with the high seat?
Not sure yet. Will be getting out soon to see how comfortable I am. We also have fancy footrests to sort out, not to mention quick shifter settings

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 10:56:46 pm »
...I am considering joining the local Blood Bike team, thus have to be IAM. Having internal debate as whether or not I want to do this. Pretty sure my riding style doesn't fit the requirement but the bikes are RTs yellow with orange stripes and blue flashing lights so should be reasonably conspicuous on that..

Which bit worries you? The speed limits, maybe?

Quoting from the book, travel at a speed that allows you to  '...stop in the distance seen to be clear on your side of the road'.
Note there's no mention of a specific speed. It's the 'appropriate' speed. ;D

However, on the actual test itself, you will certainly have to obey most speed limits, but depending on the tester, there may be some leeway in 50MPH and national limits.
Obeying the limits is quite a good a measure of observation and restraint. A lot of folks can't do it - they just sail into 30s at {whatever speed}...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 11:05:44 pm »
...and being one of those who sail into speed limits at 'whatever speed', I am only responding to the buffer zone that most UK speed limits have at either end, pointless limit creep which annoys even me....

I love the Welsh system where they keep the limit zone to a minimum but stick a bloody great 'X0 Speed Limit Y00 meters Ahead' sign a few hundred yards before the limit, giving me time to slow to the limit before I blat into it.

But I understand and share Martin's internal debate.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 12:07:52 am »
However, on the actual test itself, you will certainly have to obey most speed limits, but depending on the tester, there may be some leeway in 50MPH and national limits.
I don't think so. Breaking the speed limit is a traffic offence and there is no leeway. We had a meeting at our club earlier this week about what a examiner expects on an IAM test ride. Any traffic offence is a fail.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

gibbo

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:02:43 am »
All this speed limit stuff is open to interpretation of course.

When I was involved in a Bike Safe course a couple of years back, I was ticked off by my bike cop mentor for not making enough progress on a dual carriageway, but according to my speedo I was on the 70mph mark. One would suppose if were with another individual the comment may have been different.

Apologies Martin for sabotaging your 1300S subject matter.

Jon

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 09:27:45 am »
As Tom says, if you commit a traffic offence on your test, you fail. Making progress doesn't necessarily mean speeding, it does however mean using the advantages of the bike, for example acceleration and size advantages (filtering).

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 09:49:00 am »
I don't think so. Breaking the speed limit is a traffic offence and there is no leeway. We had a meeting at our club earlier this week about what a examiner expects on an IAM test ride. Any traffic offence is a fail.

You're right.
I'll say nothing else!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 12:28:58 pm »
Jon, I too was 'chastised' on a Wiltshire Bike Safe course a few years ago.

Plod are no longer allowed to do 'demonstration rides', where they show all the candidates behind them what they can do...now, they always have to have a student in front of them at all times.

When I did my last one, there was just me and the cop left as a group and if he always had me in front then I wouldn't be able to watch him. So, he spoke with his boss and was given the go ahead for a demo ride.

We left Devizes with him in front and me struggling to keep up even at 30...

As soon as we hit the 50 sign he was on one and when it was NSL he was almost in full pursuit mode.

When it was my turn to lead I really didn't have the bottle to ride 'at my normal speed' as he asked me to and when he pulled me over he said he could tell I was holding back.

We had about 20 miles out in the country after that and he overtook me a couple of times into tight bends to show me where I could improve but the rest of the time it was guilty heaven.

He changed an awful lot of my riding that afternoon and even helped me pick the GS up when I dropped on oil at a T junction after one debrief in a truck stop. He didn't laugh too much which was nice of him  8)

Maybe things are different out in the sticks  8)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 12:52:48 pm »
I'm going out for a ride before I'm not allowed to anymore.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 03:11:33 pm »
Went to Bude and back for a 150 mile bimble yesterday. There's too much traffic down here to get much of a free run. Bike feels much stiffer and harder than the K12, confirming to me that the K12 needs new shocks even though it just passed its MOT with no more than a note about worn rear brake pads. Having the higher seat was OK but I can feel more weight on my wrists and will be swapping it around with the low seat later to see if its noticeably different. The rearsets were comfortable enough but I did catch the back of my leg pulling away from a standstill at one point. The sidestand is hidden further underneath too, more difficult to get at. The clocks are all reversed for the sake of reversing them as far as I can see. I mean, why move the temp gauge and fuel gauge from one side of the display to the other? The exhaust note is strangled compared to my K12 Akra which despite passing its MOT yesterday without a murmur, I am sure has a hole in the down pipe. So, buy the new system, stick the pipes on the 12 and the can on the 13 and pop over to BSD for a remap.

Off we go bounce bounce on the harder suspension.
First roundabout there's a squirm on the wet road, not sure if I like these Metzelers and we are being a bit cautious to scrub in the new front, which tips in very suddenly as if its squared off , but this improves as we go along. Out of town, bit of gas and not slow but somehow maybe not as rev happy as the 12? Maybe I'm being cautious.
Bit of a buzz from the engine, certainly not creamy smooth.
Found it easy to accidentally nudge the quickshift up without intending to as I get used to the position, and also it definitely doesn't like you accidently knocking it down the box without the clutch. By the end of the run I'm getting the hang of it.
As I am the indicators which, having spent 4 years learning the old BMW way after 35 years of Japanese indicators, I am now having to go back to the left thumb only routine. Bit of a sharp pointy switch there BMW, my Yamaha one was bigger and rounder.
Fortunately having had a few new courtesy bikes I knew the headlight switch is out of sight around the front of the handgrip.

Bude was cold and grey, and the roads were wet, I did miss the hail though

I filled up with fuel and the computer said 48.7mpg but as it was only a part tank I have not done any real numbers yet. I will be doing the filler cap mod shortly though, had forgotten how annoying that was. The range display is odd, the K12 immediately kicks to a new figure as soon as it realise you have a full tank, but this one counts up slowly as you drive along which  worried me for a minute.
As it was 6C on the way back I used the heated grips and found instead of the 2 click switch there's now a 2 push button and you have to look at the dash to see what setting you are on. If there's one thing I do not like about the new displays in cars and bikes its the need to have to look at the screen to see what's happening instead of being able to do things by feel/touch without taking you eyes off the road.
The screen had initially seemed to be doing a much better job of protecting me than the K12 screen until I looked at the windmills and realised the wind was behind me. Coming back from Bude along the A30 into the wind at higher speeds it is pretty good, but I am also wearing my new Enduroguard suit and its giving less wind noise off the shoulders than the leathers (think 1980 padded shoulders) . Time will tell. Having been used to the speedo needle telling my peripheral vision that left of 12 o clock is fine only and right of it is ban territory, I now have to get used to getting into serious trouble at 9 o clock.
Filtering through the commuters on my way back I found it harder to hold the front end straight, not sure why, maybe the different riding position with more weight on the wrists. Also the clutch bite position is very different. Sure I'll get used to it. The brakes are obviously sharper too, but I never had chance to use them hard at any point

Got home and as I was riding the bike up the ramp into the shed I did something , not sure what, and fell over in a heap against the side of the shed. Fortunately no damage done and when I put the 12 in 2 minutes later could not work out what I'd done. Anyway hopefully that's christened it

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 04:13:49 pm »
> I did catch the back of my leg pulling away from a standstill at one point
Yup. Annoying, and not an improvement. But you'll eventually remember to pick your feet up a bit quicker!

> Off we go bounce bounce on the harder suspension.
It will soften/you'll adjust your opinion - not quite sure when, but before 20k. Well, mine did, but it's probably under considerably more stress than yours.

> Bit of a buzz from the engine, certainly not creamy smooth.
Again, it will smooth out with mileage. I found the same at 7.5k miles. I stopped noticing it around 14k or so.

> The brakes are obviously sharper too
Very much so, I found. I also had less dive on the newer bike.