Author Topic: First cylinder spring no 2 broken  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
First cylinder spring no 2 broken
« on: April 26, 2018, 03:48:18 pm »
Today before a telecom arrive fm my mechanic went it pick up bike sure that the ordeal with the broken spark plug is the only issue. I was again fast to make assumptions maybe being a bit impulsive doesn’t help.
Costas and Tasos (am using names since Brian knows the mechanics) saw me and immediately nod to move into the special section inside the premises. Bike was there fully exposed engine. What the f... is going in. Mechanic said we were expecting you but in a friendly basis we wanted to demonstrate issue to you and talk face to face.
We believe that in Cylinder no 1 one of the springs is left wide open probably it is left like this for a long time . Firstly a bit opened and slowly lost completely its  ability to act like a spring . Bells in my head . The oil consumption in this way is explained. No 1 spark plug was covered in thick oil residue and was not broken nieitgervthe coil was the issue. And now the verdict and the way to follow repairs.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:08:59 pm by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: First cylinder spring no 2 broken
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 03:57:21 pm »
Assuming that only no1 has issues need to order parts but as you probably know piston and springs are sold as a set . 260 ok we can deal with it. But is this the safe way to change only no1 ? Should we change all for a hole thousand? Yes the rest sims etc all parts for the head are going to be replaced. Now we need to change and all parts programmed for the 60000 service as the bike has 50000. Meaning the timing chain and the rest.
And the already ordered parts for the throttle head.
Yes am looking to a thousand all included. But another 750 if need to replace all pistons.
Mechanic suggested to wait and see . This Monday they will have a better idea of the hole issue and will exchange first opinions with the other two trained on K bikes mechanics fm mother BMW. They were summoned to offer their expert opinion.
My way of action is to go and change all pistons .
Yes such a move will cost me a lot but am really wondering :will changing one cure my oil consumption issue , note that this consumption was raised to one grammar per kilometer meaning that for a thousand Kms bike was burning 1 liter and that was way a lot.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:14:19 pm by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:05:43 pm »
Have to admit that BMW Motorrad has replied to my email last year that according to their view issue was attributed to  piston springs and they were right .
Still they wrote springs not spring. I know they had to write answer in  that way I’m order for them to be covered but now am left with the delima change one the culpable one one or all. Hope that Monday with all pistons exposed we will be able to make the right decision.
News updates will follow .
Note bike has 50000 kms and is one of the first K1300 manufactured back in early December 2008.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:11:35 pm »
Fark!

In English the normal term is piston 'ring' rather than 'spring'. (That is for those who know nothing of such things, not to correct your writing my friend.)

So, a or even some, broken piston ring/s. Fark again.

If it were my bike then Sod's law would dictate that the broken ring would have scored the cylinder bore and that would mean at least a good honing but probably a re-bore with the liklihood that I would have to go up a size in piston and that would mean all 4 being bored and 4 new piston and ring sets.

But that's my luck. You may be more lucky but knowing how long this has been going on (with your excessive oil consumption) then I am waiting for the even worse news.

Brian (who has his fingers and toes crossed for you and at least with Costas you are getting the best of customer service as well as mechanical service  😎 )

PS Give them my regards and tell them they really are special guys.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 05:32:01 pm »
Ouch!
And I thought I'd a few problems recently

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 05:56:52 pm »
 Almost impossible to do any work with the cylinder bore with Teflon coating . Hope that it’s not a broken ring and only one that was left open , (ring not spring as you correctly pointed to me ).   Yeah I do not believe in such luck.
Then we might consider getting a hole new engine block .
Will update when all the cards are on the table.
Used blocks found on eBay are not to be trusted .imho.
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 06:05:00 pm »
I thought that this engine had nikasil bores. I think that if it was me I would be looking for a complete engine out of a scrap bike.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 08:03:14 pm »
I thought so too...teflon doesn't last long in my frying pan ::)

gibbo

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 08:58:45 am »
I thought that this engine had nikasil bores. I think that if it was me I would be looking for a complete engine out of a scrap bike.

Good advice to Costas, Tom. Think I'd be looking in that direction as well. If it's that bad I'd sell it for spares.  :(

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 09:31:07 am »
Its Nicasil coating .
Embrace the wind.

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:48:42 am »
Sorry to read of this OP.  :'(

Saw this and thought it might do as a 'parts' motor? There's far more 1200 engines about than 1300s.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K1300S-2011-23-554-miles-engine-for-spares-only/162988021108?hash=item25f2d7d574:g:HSIAAOSwUwFaBHge
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 07:20:12 pm »
That'll be from James Sherlock...

Oh, and the postage to Athens might be a wee on the high side 😎

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 08:07:12 am »
That'll be from James Sherlock...

Oh, and the postage to Athens might be a wee on the high side 😎

Aye and similar postage to Highland Scotland I should think.   ???

There's not many out there. Motorworks has none.
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Andym535

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 09:35:03 am »
I think Poeton in Gloucester do replating of cylinders. Might be worth a try, if you can get the block to them.http://www.poetonaptec.co.uk/cylinder-repair.htm

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 01:09:31 pm »
Thanks you all for advising, suggesting , demonstrating an interest. You’re all a wonderful bunch of people. Am proud  to be part of this forum and particularly for having the chance to meet some of you closely.
Embrace the wind.