Author Topic: Motorworks/non-BMW parts suppliers  (Read 2087 times)

Offline stevel

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Motorworks/non-BMW parts suppliers
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:11:33 am »
I learned a long time ago to use genuine BMW parts, to avoid having to do the job twice.

I have a clutch job to do on a friends' R1200GS - usual clutch slipping oil contaminated kinda thing.

So, I ordered the parts for the job from Motorworks: Clutch friction plate, 6 bolts (replace every strip), Engine output seal, gearbox input seal. £131.72 plus shipping £3.90.
I checked on the phone with them that the parts were all genuine BMW. Got the lot today, not a part number amongst them. Friction plate didn't even have a make on it - just a generic 'R1200' marking on it. Very frustrating. Thankfully, I'm not doing the job this weekend.

In fairness, I phoned them, and they've arranged for the lot to be picked up tomorrow. It remains to be seen if I get a full refund without any problems....

As I now need the parts fairly urgently, and can't afford any more screw-ups, I phoned the local BMW dealer. Obviously, no question as to the authenticity of his parts, but I was worried about the price, until he gave me the total: £139.23.  A whole £3.61 more than Motorworks. OK, I've got to go pick them up, but I like to look around the showroom every now and then, and I eat at least as many free biscuits' worth as it costs in petrol to get there.

For a laugh, I added up the total at Motobins as well: £143.99 inc shipping. They did state that the clutch plate was genuine BMW, but the seals certainly weren't.

When we take into account that BMW update their parts (one of the seals I'm getting is an updated part - which is possibly why I have to do this job in the first place, but hey), I just can't see the sense in buying from these other companies that used to offer good value..... a long time ago. 

Next time, I'll do my research properly first - without doubt, I'd have ordered from BMW if I had this time.

Steve

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: Motorworks/non-BMW parts suppliers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 02:00:34 pm »
 BMW pulled the plug on MotorWorks selling genuine BM parts earlier this year.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
Re: Motorworks/non-BMW parts suppliers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 03:45:52 pm »
Ive never found that much difference in price of parts between Motorworks and BMW but I used to use Motorworks a fair bit when I had my R1100S, more so because Darren was a really helpful guy and a good source of knowledge and also for used parts.

I learnt early on that its always worth checking with a Dealer, a good example was the large Bevel Box bearing( Wheel bearing if you like). Bearing suppliers quoted me anywhere between �80 and �130, Gen BMW was less than �60.

Motorworks still has its place, the "In Tank" Fuel filter for my 800GS isnt available separately from BMW, they will only sell you a pump assy, for, wait for it..........  �320 !!!

Motorworks now sell the Genuine Mahle Filter for �22, dont think I'll write Motorworks off just yet.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:04:27 pm by Phmode »
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.