Author Topic: Ferry Crossings  (Read 2159 times)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Ferry Crossings
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:29:29 pm »
Seeing the thread about rachet straps and ferry crossings just said to my other half about could we remember the different crossings we have been on the ones we haven't.

Dover/Calais ferry
Dover/Calais Hover Craft
Folkestone/Boulogne
New Haven/Dieppe
Southampton/Le-Havre
Portsmouth/Le-Havre
Santander/Plymouth
Santander/Portsmouth
Portsmouth/Caen
Portsmouth/St Malo
Harwich/Hook of Holland
Ramsgate/Dunkirk
Dover/Ostend
Sheerness/Flushing
Holyhead/Dun Laoghaire
Stranraer/Larne
Dover/Zebrugge
Holyhead/Dublin Port
Heysham/Belfast
Heysham/Douglas
Bilbao/Portsmouth

Suddenly realise how routes and companies and have changed over the years.

Never been out of Fishguard/Hull/Liverpool or for what ever reason Cherbourg  ???

And I think the only fast HSS ferry still operating is the Irish Ferries one from Holyhead to Dublin?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:31:10 pm by chriscanning »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Ferry Crossings
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 12:24:58 pm »
Never took the bike on it, but the best crossing of all time used to be the Sea Cat from Dover to Calais.

We used to get the midnight crossing and snuggle up in the VIP cabin while the crew members fell over each other to serve us drinks and nibbles and amazing snacks as it was the end of their shift and they wanted rid of the stuff. Top class ride and a lovely service.

Worst crossing of all time was on the Hovercraft when no-one, pilot included, could see out of the windows and we 'felt' our way across on nothing but radar! Talk about the submarine service!

Brian (who loves the convenience and speed of the Eurotunnel as long as there are no bodies on the line  8) )

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 05:33:57 pm »
I used to be inordinately fond of the Sally Viking Line crossing in the early 80's, the Smorgasbord buffet may have had something to do with that :D  an added bonus was, that with only a limited number of crossings per day, a cheap 60 hour ticket meant catching the last crossing on Friday night, but then not having to leave Luxembourg until a sensible time Monday morning ,rather than 0500 with P and O  :D
more recently, I have found Norfolk lines to be a very civilised option, with generally fewer families and rather more HGV's with volatile loads (leads to more interesting conversations )

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 07:00:39 pm »
Cornwall to Devon over the treacherous  Tamar. No ratchet straps provided!!!
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:55:43 pm »
The one that always makes us smile is the Bilbao/Santander ferry when their good their great when their bad jeez  :o

The Calais /Dover on the hover was fun because it lift up and take off along the beach past people on the waters edge walking their dog but on a bad crossing I'd liken it to the Blue and White K1200s demo I took out from Clarks and was thinking how the hell are letting the public anywhere this thing  :(

Offline Bikerjim

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300s
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:24:05 pm »

Top tip

Buy a day return (as idid in 2013) very cheap but dont come back as per ticket. Its usually cheaper than single fare. Nice overnight cabin.

And before any one tells me, no they didn't charge me full price or send me the bill.

Jim