Author Topic: Honda plans Cross-Wind Assist...  (Read 432 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Honda plans Cross-Wind Assist...
« on: February 14, 2024, 09:33:37 am »
https://www.advrider.com/honda-plans-new-crosswind-assist-function/

Cross-wind assist? Have these peeps got nothing better to do? The planet is in chaos, the world is at war, Trump might yet be the next US most wanted criminal President and they want to foist cross-wind assist on us...

Three times in 60 years on two wheels (OK, more [times, not wheels] if you count the bicycle) have I thought 'Hey Zeus' that wind is strong.

Once, I failed to make exit 12 of the M4 when I physically couldn't get the bugger across three lanes of traffic cos the wind was suddenly gale force.

We had to park up for a couple of hours at a services on the A6 Route du Soliel north of Lyon in the mega gales that flattened the south of England in 1986(?) after being blown across all three lanes and onto the hard shoulder at silly speed.

I narrowly avoided ending up in the Forty Foot Drain crossing the flat Fens on a Wrinklies trip many moons ago when I clearly saw the face of St. Peter blowing a hooley, reflected in the water below.

In none of those circumstances would cross-wind assist have done anything other than induce a high-side or at least a heart attack.

They'll be inventing ABS, Anti-Wheelie and Traction Control next.

Bah humbug I say.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Honda plans Cross-Wind Assist...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 09:58:11 am »
 But cheap cross wind assist already exists.  It's called don't fit a top box!   ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 01:21:14 pm »
..or have a full fairing to boot...

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 03:57:06 pm »
Seems pointless to me. A few times I've been at about 30 degrees from vertical going straight across the Severn Bridge. With the occasional vertical when going past the bridge supports. Quite good fun!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 07:20:22 pm »
I think an anti-lean feature would be good. Or a windproof ashtray for the cigar smokers among us...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 08:24:30 pm »
An aside, but firmly in the 'Clever things nobody ever asked for' category you can add radar-assisted cruise control.
The only thing it's useful for is reminding you that you're on the wrong road for a motorbike.

I can imagine a market segment developing for a bike with lots of power, but minimal electronics.
Oh, hang on - we've all got that bike already.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 08:29:57 pm »
An aside, but firmly in the 'Clever things nobody ever asked for' category you can add radar-assisted cruise control.
The only thing it's useful for is reminding you that you're on the wrong road for a motorbike.

I can imagine a market segment developing for a bike with lots of power, but minimal electronics.
Oh, hang on - we've all got that bike already.

I disagree regarding active cruse control. It's for the roads you have to ride to get to roads that are right for motorcycles. :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 11:37:17 pm »
I tried a friction throttle device for cruise, but took it off as I didn't get on with it. A radar cruise would be good, as you say, for the roads taking you to the good roads.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 02:48:40 pm »
I swear by my throttle lock cruise. Properly set it gives the right wrist a rest and means you can light your cigar with ease...