Author Topic: 3D Printing Fun  (Read 1822 times)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
3D Printing Fun
« on: April 09, 2023, 07:23:05 pm »
After a long time of ignoring it I've finally been trying to get the 3d printer working nicely again. It's an original Prusa i3 Mk2 for anyone interested. I've had it about 9 years I'd say. Or since whenever it first came out.

The current project as some may know is an open source telescope. I ordered a load of new PLA for this and everything but the black colour is Filamentum brand, the black is Prusament or something, Prusa's own brand. Annoyingly this is pertinent as the black has a different temperature recommendation to the Filamentum. And it also did this:

To be clear there are 5 separate prints here. The Upper Tube Assembly with the hole for the thing Brian gave me, the Lower Tube Assembly which I think will house the primary mirror, then for each of those a separate inner liner in black to aid reducing any reflectivity. The last was meant to be a baffle, whatever one of those does. Except it went rather wrong as I don't think baffles are meant to be... That shape.

Now I have the fun task of problem solving. One can see it started OK, which is the thin crescent shape that's about 5mm high within the mess. But somehow it got knocked off the print bed and obviously it can't print in thin air.

I slightly regret not sticking to one brand, but the Filamentum black had flipping glitter in it for some silly reason.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: 3D Printing Fun
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 09:21:02 pm »

...with the hole for the thing Brian gave me,

I think the word you were looking for was 'loaned'  :)

but the Filamentum black had flipping glitter in it for some silly reason.

Well that will work really well as a non-reflective surface then...you'll be seeing stars even on cloudy nights  ::)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 08:25:11 am »
Haha sorry yes loaned!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 09:49:20 am »
Sorted of like this? ...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naKHerhWSeY

;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 10:55:36 am »
Hahaha don't worry I'll remember to bring it back before I emigrate to NZ!

Now, I think I worked out why my baffle print went awry.

The first layer on the brim is only maybe 2-3mm in width and I believe that, plus my old slightly denty bed, plus the new material I'm getting to grips with, caused the print to lift off the bed, which then meant it collided with the print head and got entirely torn orff.

To fix this i've told it to add a 'brim' to the entire shape, which in this instance is a 5mm wide extra loop 1 layer high all around the shape, attached to it. This gives it more surface area and hopefully will prevent it lifting. We shall see.

Oh look there's a mk4 out!
https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-mk4-2/

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 01:13:40 pm »
You shouldn't be sleeping in a deathbed Matt. It's not good for your back you know  :)

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 05:07:24 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier just to paint the inside black rather than trying to print a liner? What's the stringy thing supposed to look like? Is it from Thingiverse or somewhere like that... Did anyone else manage to print it OK?

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 06:08:48 pm »
Hey Andy. You make a sound point and it's something I think even now as I notice the sheen to the black liner :D. So we'll see later how it performs.

The black mess was supposed to be... hang on I'll upload a picture after I succeeded. Not sure what messed it up but it was easy enough to resolve.

As for source, it's this:
https://www.printables.com/model/268580-hadley-telescope-official-metric-remix

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 10:16:10 pm »
The technical term for the blackening of the inside of the optical tube is 'flocking'.

Historically (and indeed still by some) manufacturers used to cover the inside with a sprayed on flock black paint.

Any matt black paint would do.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 08:16:05 pm »
Well, I got a bit distracted with work and trips and cake and only just got back to this. I think I've now printed all telescope parts other than some mount bits. Which is just as well as something went badly wrong on the last print and I came back to a huge blob of plastic on the hot end and coming out of various bits.

I've stripped it down and it needs at minimum a new hot end, but sadly it (actually me) broke a bit of the plastic carriage thing that holds the hot end.

So, does anyone have a 3d printer that's working and can print PETG? This is my one sensible request before I give in and just get the latest Prusa i3 mk4!

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 11:11:17 pm »
So, does anyone have a 3d printer that's working and can print PETG?

Yes.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 11:18:50 am »
So, does anyone have a 3d printer that's working and can print PETG?

Yes.

Woo! Sorry for the slow reply, I went down a rabbit hole and almost convinced myself a mk4 was the answer.

Andy, how many beer tokens or cat legs or whatnot would you require to print the extruder-body.stl from below? :)
https://www.printables.com/model/88236-i3-mk2-printable-parts/files

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2024, 02:14:47 pm »
None... I'll try printing it and see how it turns out. If it works we can talk about postage.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2024, 02:40:35 pm »
Oh awesome thanks!

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 07:48:13 pm »
That seems to have worked, though I haven't used the printer for a while and it looks like the nozzle was a bit close to the bed for the first layer so I might adjust the Z stop a bit and have another go.

PM me your address and I'll attempt to find a jiffy bag and post it to you tomorrow.