Author Topic: HGV speed limit increases on 6 April 2015  (Read 5809 times)

Andy

HGV speed limit increases on 6 April 2015
« on: March 18, 2015, 05:11:41 pm »
Not sure if you've seen this, but speed limits for HGVs will increases in England & Wales on 6 April 2015.

http://www.derbyshireadvancedridertraining.co.uk/blog

Seems like good news to me!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: HGV speed limit increases on 6 April 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:50:09 pm »
How does that work then?

Brian (who has no idea what the European Speed Limiter Law says)

PS Anyone else really peeved by the planet-saving, loudly-proclaimed, self-imposed speed limits of anywhere from 48 to 50 mph on the latest fleets of supermarket trucks clogging up the roads with queues of 'normal' trucks behind them, or worse still, alongside them! That's really going to save the planet then  :o

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:25 pm »
How it works Brian is very simple if your in a van to overtake an HGV your going to have to break the law  >:( because that's been the law for vans for long time.

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:33:33 pm »
Any goods vehicle over 7.5t GVW is speed limited to 56mph/90kmh
(New vans over 3500kgs or summat are also limited to 70mph or thereabouts but who cares)
CURRENT LEGAL SPEED LIMITS for over 7.5t are as follows:
A roads 40mph
Dual carriageways 50mph
Motorways 60mph...(Government idiocy says you can legally do 60mph on M'ways but if you go over the 56mph limiter speed you can be busted for going too fast....go figure..)

The NEW limits will be:
A roads 50mph
Dual carriageways 60mph,(Government idiocy blahblahblah.....................)
Motorways....er...60mph....(ditto...................................)
In essence you should see fewer suicidal overtakes from Mr Mondeo as he tries desperately to kill his wife and family in a superhuman effort to catch and get stuck behind the next truck in front of him.
The old limits were set back in the Eighties before the acronyms ABS/EBS and ESP/TC mean't anything to most people...........now they are a familiar sight on the dashboard of any HGV built since about 1995 ,(but if you see them while the trucks moving it means get your cheque book out...*sigh*)

In case there are any truck haters reading this:
Without trucks,you would be...homeless....naked....starving....walking...
So if you don't like trucks,stop buying stuff....

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:37:22 pm by Lightning_650 »
Lifes a bitch.And then you die.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:26:34 pm »
Got it!

But what do the European Speed Limiter Laws say?

Brian (who is off to the shops for one last time and thinks this could start a trend)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 02:33:38 pm »
I'd be happy if the UK road user had any idea what was in the hi way code because the majority have no clue that the same applies to vans and  I get all sorts of shit from other users doing 50 on a single carriage way but because it's showing the national limit and they think I should be doing it.

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 02:35:17 pm »
Europeans are strictly 80kph on motorways and long stretches have no truck overtaking either full time or at specified times.
But on many hills they have slow vehicle lanes so what a truck loses on the flat you can gain by being able to overtake on hills
I think it's 70kph on most A roads there too but can't be sure.
Either way they are strictly enforced....

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 02:49:24 pm »
Europeans are strictly 80kph on motorways and long stretches have no truck overtaking either full time or at specified times.
But on many hills they have slow vehicle lanes so what a truck loses on the flat you can gain by being able to overtake on hills

And non on the roads over a weekend or is that Sunday?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 03:08:53 pm »
There is a wonderful stretch of A34 north of Newbury where there is no over-trucking during rush-hours. Bliss!

Personally I can see no reason for any truck to overtake any other truck; they are all limited to the same speed and end up behind each other at the next set of lights or lower speed limit, but in the mean-time they have taken 4 miles to get past the driver who was making his dinner at the wheel and have a six mile queue of cars behing them.

Brian (who says just wait till it is his turn to be dictator  8) )

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 03:15:03 pm »
Not sure if you've seen this, but speed limits for HGVs will increases in England & Wales on 6 April 2015.

http://www.derbyshireadvancedridertraining.co.uk/blog

Seems like good news to me!

If you regularly travel on the A361 between Barnstaple and Tiverton in Devon, UK, this will be both a help to safety and yet not the complete answer. At the moment much of the road is two lanes (one each way) with occasional stretches of two lanes on one side or the other (passing lanes on hills usually). With a 40mph limit imposed on the larger trucks,  cars, vans and smaller lorries queue up to overtake with impatient drivers willing to risk all to get somewhere 10 minutes faster because they can travel at 50mph or 60mph. The result is a number of fatal crashes each year. What we really need is a 60mph limit for all vehicles on this road which will eliminate the need for the majority of legal overtaking - why not???

Happiness is a bike and a tent

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 03:20:20 pm »
... In case there are any truck haters reading this:
Without trucks,you would be...homeless....naked....starving....walking...
So if you don't like trucks,stop buying stuff....

So true! The same goes for tractors - if you don't want to eat, get rid of them! Otherwise, learn to anticipate mud on country roads and how to pass large vehicles safely.

No, I don't drive a tractor or a truck but I do eat food and buy stuff and love the challenge of riding the roads of our over-crowded island.
Happiness is a bike and a tent

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 12:03:33 am »

And non on the roads over a weekend or is that Sunday?

In certain countries there are lorry bans all year between 22.00 Saturday and 22.00 Sunday,with special bans on Bank holidays/summer holiday weekends/some local motorway bans.
Benelux countries generally have few or no bans,and the corridor between Calais and Belgium has no weekend ban for that very reason

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 12:30:19 am »
There is a wonderful stretch of A34 north of Newbury where there is no over-trucking during rush-hours. Bliss!

Personally I can see no reason for any truck to overtake any other truck; they are all limited to the same speed and end up behind each other at the next set of lights or lower speed limit, but in the mean-time they have taken 4 miles to get past the driver who was making his dinner at the wheel and have a six mile queue of cars behing them.

Brian (who says just wait till it is his turn to be dictator  8) )
Thats because you assume that every truck is limited to the same speed:supermarket trucks tend to set the limiter to 50mph to save fuel,they don't give two hoots about productivity from the truck because they sell cornflakes,transport is just another expense to them.
A haulier who has invested £120k in an artic needs to make money,and as most are paid by the tonne/mile needs to see that truck do the most work in a day as possible.He won't want his motor stuck behind a supermarket trolley for hours on end,it might cost as much as 50 miles or one hours work in a day.
You'd be pissed off too if that vital BMW part you wanted was on that lorry coming from Europe, wasn't on the counter as promised because the driver ran out of hours 50 miles away and "won't get here till tomorrow,Sir"....
Trunk routes were originally designed for freight,no one back then envisaged the growth in personal transport and the subsequent commuter journeys/school runs/pleasure trips that clog up the road network.
Trucks make up a tiny percentage of the vehicles on UK roads:funnily enough the UK is the only country in Europe that has such a vociferous anti-truck attitude and lack of respect for road transport in general.
Truckers in Europe enjoy better facilities,get more respect,and theres a healthy understanding that without road transport,modern life ceases to exist.
A recent Government commissioned a report that concluded if truckies went on strike for two weeks,there would be riots in the streets...they've just started bleating about an imminent driver shortage,(which we've been predicting for years).
Not going to be easy to get new people to drive trucks:since 1997 it's been go to University or you are nobody...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 12:59:34 am »
But we are both arguing for the same thing, all trucks absolutely must be allowed, nay forced, to travel at the same speed. Imagine if railway trucks tried to overtake each other!

The way truck drivers are forced to behave on the roads is a disgrace. It already costs millions of pounds in lost time, efficiency and money to those who are held up. No-one is blaming the drivers but I have already ranted about the supermarkets raping the transport system in the name of saving coppers. Lower limited speeds should be banned.

Overtrucking along the A34 north from the channel ports to the midlands turn the whole length of the road into a 50 mph road and while some may not care about that, lots do. I am one of them and I don't see why I should be forced to drive at a falsely imposed speed limit just because some supermarket thinks it is clever to clog our roads.

Brian (set flame to low)

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 07:24:07 am »
LOL  sorry Brian...
Back in the day when I got my HGV,(mid Eighties),there were no limiters and it was up to the driver to moderate his speed.
32 tonnes GVW,240bhp on 4 axles would see 60/70mph on the M1 and get 12+ mpg.
Now we run at 40 tonnes,450bhp on 5 axles and 56mph/9-10mpg
They call that progress..... :'(
(If they are on six axles 44 tonnes...)