Author Topic: Brake bleeding  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Foothills

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Anniversary Edition
Re: Brake bleeding
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 03:46:45 pm »
I have in the past carried out many full system bleeds on the brakes of the K1300s, they were good after bleeding but not as good as after bleeding the ABS unit, on two of the bikes the brakes were still soft after doing the standard bleed but were perfect after doing the final ABS clean out with the GS-911.

Well, now you have me thinking I'll go back and revisit this to bleed the ABS circuits.  And here I was thinking it was done.... >:(   
Wisdom is in knowing where courage ends and stupidity begins.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 04:09:18 pm »
It’s a very simple situation....it’s an old bike which normally has old owners but the maintenance needs a modern approach, what is going on here are various attempts to avoid such 😀 but you’ll get there in the end...just takes some adaption to the 21st century and some modern gizmo’s 😜 or a dealer....

Offline Foothills

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Anniversary Edition
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 04:33:33 pm »
Sorry, I do have one more question before I flush the ABS.  All of the reference information I can find deals with the older "servo" systems as on the K1200s.  On those you refill the ABS unit directly with the funnel or other method.  On my bike, I am assuming that as I purge the ABS unit through the OBD2 command, it will draw fresh fluid from the front or rear reservoir depending on which circuit is selected to activate.  Am I correct?  I like going in knowing what to expect. 
Wisdom is in knowing where courage ends and stupidity begins.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 05:38:43 pm »
You are correct  :winkthumbs:

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 07:18:28 am »
ABS unit needs to be flushed only when the new bars are accompanied with longer cables resulting in change of the amount of fluid in the system . Then again the hole bleeding front , rear and unit is nessesary at the 10 years service interval.
Always after bleeding the system and especially if the abs unit is included, the feeling in the brake bar will change  and needs some time to adjust. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 09:21:22 pm »
when i did my (front only) brake bleed ..and the bleed nipple at the master cylinder... my brakes were not ok, they were exactly the same as before i started, while a full flush is undoubtedly ideal i don't have a obd computer to do this so i do what i can manage. i can't see me getting lucky on this because as a rule i don't get lucky. it seems to run against the train of thought here but i definitely bled my front brakes back to where they were without the computer.
i only extended my pipe by about 6 inches, maybe that makes a difference but i really can't see it. 

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 11:39:31 am »
Just off the top of my head.

If all the air is out and its still spongy is it possible that the new pipe is a different ID or that it expands more than the oem pipe.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2021, 12:26:02 pm »
not sure if you mean me, i don't actually know the id of my new pipe but to suit the banjos which were swaged on i would have thought there would not have been a major difference. when first bled my brakes were spongy but bleeding the nipple at the mastercylinder sorted that out.
i don't think the pipe diameter would have an effect on the brakes once bled properly... but thats me thinking aloud.