Author Topic: A New Beginning  (Read 9349 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: A New Beginning
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 07:55:06 pm »
Seeing as both Andy and Tom (and David come to that) are rather large lads, one wonders if it is a combination of rider and top box   :D

More likely to be those who are "in tune" with their bikes and those who are not. ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2019, 11:25:31 am »
...and, seeing as some of us who you think are not in tune are still riding with top boxes at all sorts of silly speeds with no negative consequences, it obviously only affects those of you who are in tune   :P

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2019, 12:22:57 pm »
You could be right there Brian, although the three box's I had on at the time were all 50ltr GIVI filled to the brim, a tad over weight it was.  ;)
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2019, 01:42:18 pm »
 :D :D :D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2019, 02:14:26 pm »
...and, seeing as some of us who you think are not in tune are still riding with top boxes at all sorts of silly speeds with no negative consequences, it obviously only affects those of you who are in tune   :P

I've been playing Russian Roulette for the last hour and not had an issue. Why all the fuss?

You can't deny the physics!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2019, 06:43:16 pm »
...and I've been riding litre bikes with, when needed, top boxes, since my first big bike in the early '80's with not the slightest problem apart from the odd leak from a milk bottle and the cruellest of creases in my shirts.

That's an awful long time to be lucky and an even longer time to be defying the physics.

The tolerances in the limitations imposed by bike and luggage manufacturers are probably around the 30-40% mark and none of us get anywhere near the real limitations because if we did, the physics would get us. Wouldn't it?

By all means, carry on objecting to the use of top boxes on aesthetic grounds, but until you produce some real evidence of the tragic consequences of top box use, those of us who love 'em will carry on cheating death by the day.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2019, 07:07:30 pm »
Your call what you put on your bike!

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2019, 09:17:18 am »
I've fitted top boxes to all of my bikes since 1970 and, with the sole exception of a BMW R90S (1977 model) have had no problems at all with stability. I'm not though, I admit a fast rider (my current K1300GT averages 54 mpg!).

I find the box so useful that following endless problems with cracking of various parts of the 40 or so year old rack on my 1972 Honda CB750 that have meant spending the summer without a box fitted, I have had Craven Luggage measure and make a fitting kit/rack for the bike (due to arrive tomorrow!) so that I am able to refit it. I came to realise that I just wasn't using the bike without it as I normally ride to an event and take off my bike gear, store it in the top box, hang my helmet from the security hook fitted to the frame under the seat and walk away.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2019, 09:41:56 am »
... (my current K1300GT averages 54 mpg!).

I have had Craven Luggage measure and make a fitting kit/rack for the bike (due to arrive tomorrow!) so that I am able to refit it.

54mpg is a good thing! Making progress with minimal consumption is a rare skill. Although Ks don't tread that lightly on the earth, so to speak, they seem more efficient than a lot of their peers.

Amused by Craven. A nice condensed bit on their history here. I presumed they were long deceased:
https://www.craven-equipment.co.uk/index.php/about-us

Now, if they made more aerodynamically efficient panniers you'd get 55+ mpg.  ;)

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 06:33:21 pm »
Rich Ken Craven died, I understand some years ago and Draganfly bought the rights to manufacture the luggage. Ken was, of course one of the pioneers in respect of continental touring on a motorcycle and arranged trips to Spain as long ago as the 1960's for himself and friends. He initially developed his range of luggage for these holidays.

The current range of luggage copies the original products quite closely, however Draganfly are trying to update the fitting kits for the racks and side cases to suit more modern machinery such as the new Triumph Bonneville range and its derivatives and Moto Guzzi etc. Unfortunately, for bikes such as my old Honda's, the drawings for the rack fitting kits have been lost over the years or are incomplete, therefore the one that I am fitting now (it all arrived today) will take time and effort as it is still in development. I have received within the pack some twelve tube clamps, two frame clamps, four mounting brackets or struts and a bag full of nuts, bolts and washers but no instructions or even a photo of the kit fitted, so trial and error rules!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2019, 06:42:57 pm »
I have received within the pack some twelve tube clamps, two frame clamps, four mounting brackets or struts and a bag full of nuts, bolts and washers but no instructions or even a photo of the kit fitted, so trial and error rules!

Ha! Offer to write the fitting instructions & take photos for a reasonable discount!
Then we'll all be asking how did Flat Four Limited take over from Haynes.

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2019, 08:30:33 am »
Probably beyond my abilities these days, though in the distant past I was involved in writing technical manuals for a luxury car maker and devising repair procedures for dealers.

Offline howlindawg

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexacone, Evoluzione induction kit & DNA Filters. MRA Screen. Sargent Seat. Motolights. Lots of Carbon!
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2021, 04:58:31 pm »
A few wee updates.

It's service time so I've added DNA filters with the Evoluzione Induction kit.

A perfect fit as expected.

And a little more carbon to replace the exhaust heatshield which had a gone a bit tatty.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 05:04:15 pm by howlindawg »
I'm Martin

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2021, 06:45:35 pm »
Have run one on my R Sport for years, sadly the moulding on the left side means there nothing for the wedges to clip on too so have to run a single as per the spec of the bike.

Offline howlindawg

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexacone, Evoluzione induction kit & DNA Filters. MRA Screen. Sargent Seat. Motolights. Lots of Carbon!
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2021, 07:55:15 pm »
I've had the kit since my 2006 K1200s.
Sounded great with the TBR exhaust.

This is just a switch from the old flat filters  to the DNA cones.
I'm Martin