Author Topic: R1200RS test ride review  (Read 7356 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: R1200RS test ride review
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 09:27:41 pm »
Well, there is Firefox Racing oop north who bodged mine, or MCT in Stowmarket at half the price and a much better job. MCT are well recommended!

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 09:58:18 pm »
The bit I missed out on the ESA V stock is you come to get rid of the bike,I'd ordered my XR and saw similar at the BM shop Steve Parry works at and there was a few bob to be saved,the add appears at the end of the week I phone Saturday and it's already sold,when I phone to enquire have very good conversation with the guy who says the stock stuff is always the first to sell because they are so rare.

Offline Twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 10:10:20 am »
I had mine done by Firefox Racing. They did a good job, quoted time was nearly met and were pleasant to talk to and phoned back when they said they would.
 8)
Ride safe
Dave

BMW R1200gs LC

Lembu

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 03:08:56 pm »
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8KUQN1UWNyncUxMS3NDeFp4amc
(image link is to Googledrive - is that working these days? - let's see)

Today my K1300S went in for it's annual also 20,000km service, and I took an R1200RS as a hire bike.

This is not going to rival Paul's review, but I was thinking the 1200RS might be a replacement for the K one day, mainly as it has a shaft.  Also as a past GS-LC owner I thought I had the bike sussed.  Apparently not true.
You sit 'in ' the RS much more - initially very comfy although very short.  The screen doesnt help much compared to the GS, but then we ride K's so ...
I set the bike to dynamic ride and dynamic suspension, but was undewhelmed by both the 'proper' upside down forks (at least on the turn in (also compared to my GS with Hosak front) but also their vague feel at slow speeds) and the grunt.  I think this was a combination of a) being spoiled by the K ride and power and b) expecting the bike to be as sporty as it looks, which it isnt.

I loved having cruise control again, hated the feel of the ride-by-wire throttle.  I liked the flat twin sound and exhaust, I was disappointed about the narrow rev range.  Again, I'm used to burbling around town up to 3-4k revs and plenty of momentum on the K only to get my shoulders stretched when running the revs out.  Lovely.

I'm going to ride the bike back the scenic route shortly to give it a better chance, but I know already it's not the bike for me.  Back to waiting for the V4 Ducati then ...

Wish me luck with the service ...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 07:53:40 pm »

... Back to waiting for the V4 Ducati then ...

Wish me luck with the service ...

You're going to need more than luck for your (future) services if you buy that V4!
Unless your wallet is called 'luck'...  :o

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 08:06:21 pm »
Revival!

I took a 68 plate R1200RS out whilst my K1300S was getting the 30k service done.

I've had it before and was left mostly unimpressed. Although normally on getting a courtesy bike I ride the mile back to work and leave it all day.

This time I rode into the countryside for half hour, then half hour to home, before doing my mostly boring M4 commute back to work.

To avoid rambling my main takeaways this time were:
  • I enjoyed the quiet from the higher screen putting the wind out of the head line. Doing the last bit without earplugs after filling up I had to double check my brain as it was still so quiet.
  • But as you'd expect I didn't enjoy the quiet exhaust. And seeing the cat welded into the bottom pipey bit makes me think it'll be a more expensive 'fix' without going as mad as that exhaust of mine (don't worry it's in its box). Subjective obviously but I prefer the K sound too.
  • It was lovely at doing 30 zones in 5th and them rolling on to 50 or 70 without bothering with changing. The K can do this too, but was a relief as I was wondering if it'd be lumpy or however the supercharged Kawasaki was described when in the wrong mode.
  • The dash seems stuck between old school and modern useful ones. It's crappy for a 68 bike.  Haven't checked what the 1250 variety will get but it must be better. Specifically I disliked that the analogue speedo is small. So small that the BMW chap switched display modes to put speed on the digital display. Leaving no revs view. I was excited for multiple modes but there are 3 and a bit 'ok well done you made computer screen'.
  • I liked in concept having different suspension modes and different... I dunno is it engine maps? I left it all in dynamic. Couldn't get cruise to work but that's probably me being thick.
  • Oh! Riding it, I felt like it turned in lovely, seemed less effort to go round corners, and you know how slow I can be with those. But I had just come off my square tyres that were getting changed out.

So yeah. Good fun, or a nice change. Was most glad to be back on mine later on though. But then I do admit to doing a quick autotrader that evening.

In any case, I'm doing California Superbike School in a couple months and am not changing bikes until I learn how to ride this one.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 06:22:39 pm »
CSS? Is that before The Wrinklies???

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 08:44:11 pm »
The week before!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 11:00:09 pm »
OMG! I might need to brushup on my Roadcraft techniques... 8)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 01:13:55 pm »
Also, just re-reading @black-k1's thread on his experiences, and the power comments. I'm disappointed the R1250RS only ups it to 134hp :(. How many more iterations before it breaks the 150hp barrier?!

[Edit]: Also, on the bike I tried, the gear level felt a bit woolly. Changes were lovely, but it felt spongy when sitting at the lights in first and resting on it occasionally.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:24:52 am by Matt »