Author Topic: K1300 oil filter  (Read 1957 times)

Offline howlindawg

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexacone, Evoluzione induction kit & DNA Filters. MRA Screen. Sargent Seat. Motolights. Lots of Carbon!
K1300 oil filter
« on: May 02, 2021, 10:40:20 am »
Morning All.

I've started a service of the K1300S but when it came to removing the oil filter the one currently fitted seems to be slightly larger in diameter than expected. My filter wrench fits the BMW replacement (marked 1142 7673541-01 517504-10) perfectly but is too small for the filter fitted by the BMW main dealer at the last service.

Have I the wrong filter for the K1300s (2015) or has the dealer been cheeky and used a non genuine filter?

BTW: My old account seems to have disappeared so I've had to recreate it with the same user name.
Should I just take the hint? ;)
I'm Martin

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
Re: K1300 oil filter
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 11:41:04 am »
i find a lot of times those filters are different sizes, never gave it much thought but when you think about it you have a point about genuine parts.
i suppose manufacturers will have more than one supplier for some parts and that would partially answer it but why not stipulate exact sizes as i would have thought they would.... have they both got bmw written on them? part numbers into google should bring up something.
i bought a full set of those cup sockets so i can cover any oil filter for about 20ish pounds of ebay and so far no problems.
money aside i wouldn't really panic about a non genuine filter, especially on a bike where they get changed long before they do a lot of miles.
back in the day toyota was the only car which really needed the genuine filter as they had a valve to hold oil in the filter itself, and really thinking about it, this was probably over engineering, which i like but see less and less these days.

Offline howlindawg

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexacone, Evoluzione induction kit & DNA Filters. MRA Screen. Sargent Seat. Motolights. Lots of Carbon!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 12:03:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any concerns about the quality of the filter per-se.
Although I'm a bit miffed that I can't remove the one that's currently fitted as it's a different size.

I can't tell if the one currently on the bike is genuine as I can't remove it.
The replacement I have is a genuine BMW part and it's the same as the K1200S part.

So my primary concern is whether the K1300 filter should be different to the K1200 filter.
I thought they were the same but would like to be sure.
I'm Martin

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 02:00:28 pm »
just did a quick part number check there on google, they are the same, someone here will have had both bikes and know for sure but i'm highly confident they are interchangeable. you could probably stick a screwdriver through it to remove it... very agricultural but on a sunday options are limited, if your near derry i can lend you mine(sockets that is-not screwdriver).

Offline howlindawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 02:24:12 pm »
Thanks for the offer, that's very much appreciated.

I'm on the Kildare/Dublin border so not quite local.
I'll order up a filter socket, I've been meaning to pick up a general purpose set anyway.
It looks to be 75mm with 14 faces so very different to the typical BMW filters I'm familiar with.
I'm Martin

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 02:28:38 pm »
I just use a strap wrench/filter remover and think no more of it. I have a leather one that does the job nicely.

Failing that, a screwdriver through the filter and turned to release it enough to unscrew the rest of the way by hand.

But then I'm an old-school bodger. Whatever gets the job done. :)

Farmer - great minds think alike.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:30:41 pm by corkboy »

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 03:20:57 pm »
I'm sure that the OEM filter for the K1300's was manufactured by Mahle so its not unusual for sellers to specify those. Wouldn't use equivalents like HiFlo though. From memory 2 Mahle filters were used on the K series, the OC 306 and the OC 619. The OC306 was specified for the K1200's the OC619 for the later models including the K1300s, that filter is longer. More surface area is best. I had the correct wrench and it still slipped. In the end I had to put a tea towel over the filter and hammer the wrench on over that. Always oil the rubber gasket.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 11:13:56 am »
I read somewhere that some filters had some kind of valve to increase/restrict the flow at a certain point in the engine's performance. I wish I had bookmarked it to reread and understand it more.  Often there is more to understand than meets the eye in thing that aren't given a second thought.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 01:49:25 pm »
All spin on filters have an internal pressure bypass valve designed to stop starving the engine of oil if the filter gets blocked or oil viscosity is too high to pass through the filter. its there to protect the engine and stop the filter bursting. Another reason to avoid cheap filters.