Author Topic: Scientific proof (well, sort of...) as to who are the best/worst bike makers  (Read 1693 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Whilst a VERY limited sample, I though the results were interesting ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAUo8eUXeU

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Excellent!
BMW not too bad either.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
It never entered my mind that the first oil change would be to clean the dirt out from a dirty engine build. I always thought that it was to clear out the muck from the engine bedding in.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Me too. The first oil out of my lawnmower looked like suspended glitter.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
Worked for one of the manufacturers included in the video and have built racing engines in the past.  If you could trust garages and punters to stick to the running in rules a manufacturer would probably run a high detergent mineral oil in the first fill. Its what I did on racing engines after a full re-build. It got dumped fairly quickly and replaced with full synth. Produced more power that way too, synthetic isn't very good for bedding a motor in. First oil and filter change on a new bike is really critical for long life, as is proper running in.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
With reports from two owners of brand new Honda CRF250L Rallys of atrocious handling on a) the 160 mile ride home from the selling dealer and b) to the gas station across the street from the selling dealer, I was intrigued. Then they told me that bike 'a' had no (an in zero) air in the tyres other than normal atmospheric and bike 'b' was about 4 psi.

An even smaller sample of bikes but sheesh, US dealers, come on.

If that's what manufacturers do with things that could kill you on the forecourt, what do they care about something you may never see?

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
They care about warranty claims cos it hits them in the wallet. Having said that KTM must have very fat wallets or a brass neck and just ignore issues.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
I've been looking forward to that video since it plopped, and was not disappointed!

Attaching the same tiny sample size caveat as in the video, the following are my thoughts:
Japan turned up and copied British bikes, then surpassed. I thought China would do that, and I expect eventually they will, but then bam, India jumped in. Or rather Royal Enfield did.

I did also wonder if Royal Enfields all being low stress low output engines helps. Bit of blutac in there? Never mind! But the rest have many bikes so we don't know. The BMW could have been a scumbag 800cc, or a lovely boxer :p. I suppose stats say it's more likely to be a GS ey.

Harley was as I expected. I assume that being recent it's a sample from their "hey we just realised how to make bikes!" new lineup.

Anyway I'm not buying a ducati. Unless it's reaaaally old.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022