Author Topic: Who do you reckon will be the first member to get the Covid jab...  (Read 16183 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Who do you reckon will be the first member to get the Covid jab...
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2021, 09:13:29 am »
Quite a good article, which starts with the same points you brought up, David:
https://fullfact.org/health/liam-fox-death-figures/

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2021, 01:02:06 pm »
The problem with your 'problem with the stats' statement David, is that the number of excess deaths is a figure which in normal years is over and above a huge and frightening number of influenza deaths as well as deaths from all other causes.

With the various lockdowns, I 'imagine' that the number of deaths from influenza (which is nowhere near as transmissable as Covid and for which many people have the jab every year) is much lower this year than in a normal year because folks are wearing masks, not going out except to illegal raves and are social distancing, all of which help to stop the spread of the 'flu and hence makes the excess deaths figure seem lower than it will actually be for this year. Your wife would surely know the stats on current 'flu death rates assuming she has the spare brain capacity to even wonder about such things whilst currently doing 487% of her normal job and probably that of three other people who are off sick. Much hero worship going on here...

I was shocked and horrified last year when the 'normal' figures for deaths from 'flu came out, something we don't normally hear anything about. OK, most of those 'flu deaths are merely the annual cull of the old and decrepit who would probably die soon anyway from other unrelated causes like old age, but the statistics are still scary.

As whoever it was once said, 'there are lies, damn lies and statistics'.

But I totally agree that we shouldn't obsess about any of it. I'm currently panicking because Waitrose has run out of rib-eye steak and has no stock of 2litre bottles of Yeo Valley milk 8)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2021, 05:10:26 pm »
You are 100% right Brain with regards to flu deaths. I think it was 2017 that was a "bad year" and the numbers from then give COVID a run for it's money, at least for the 6 months to June 2020.

And yes, flu deaths are down this year as a result of COVID measures but, I suspect, a number of the COVID deaths would have been flu victims this year had they not been doing the COVID distancing shuffle.

Likewise, there will be a number of deaths this year that will be a result of a lack of or delayed treatment due to COVID. There will be no recording of COVID in these deaths but without COVID some of those people would still be walking around. (And I don't mean zombie style!)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2021, 05:57:29 pm »
... folks are wearing masks, not going out except to illegal raves and are social distancing, all of which help to stop the spread of the 'flu and hence makes the excess ...

I forgot to ask Bri, how was that rave last week? Did you remember to take your glow sticks? :D
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2021, 02:39:34 pm »
It was a silent disco and a blacked out one to boot, so glo-sticks were confiscated by the police on the way in...

revd

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2021, 08:46:15 am »
I am about to head into London on the K for my "jab" at St Thomas's hospital Westminster. At least they still have free parking for motorcycles in the car park there. Me, I am young!!!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2021, 08:52:15 am »
I am about to head into London on the K for my "jab" at St Thomas's hospital Westminster. At least they still have free parking for motorcycles in the car park there. Me, I am young!!!

You'll be in good hands there. Guy's & St. Tommy's is who I'm working with at the moment and they're a good team.

I had my jab yesterday, but in Suffolk, to save me going all the way into London.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2021, 09:03:27 am »
An interesting thought on all of this with regards to the NHS.

Of the who pandemic, there is only one part that has been wholly organised by the NHS, without any real government interference. The vaccination programme.

Just over a month in since vaccines have been available in volume, and in England alone, almost 2.5m jabs are happening per week. That's from a service that has had almost a year of being stretched way beyond it's capacity, and a service that came into the pandemic with over 40,000 nursing vacancies.

The NHS is often a target for unfair criticism (and some fair criticism) but, when "it hit the fan", the NHS really has delivered. Well done to them all.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2021, 09:36:52 am »
Agree! They receive so many punches to the face, where punches to the face are deliberate underfunding, but continue the fight heroically. I suppose it helps that many attracted to such a career actually care about other people!

Good look Rev', the next thread should be "who do you reckon will be the last member..." :)
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2021, 10:06:20 am »
There’s more old duffers than I thought on here  :) well older than me  ;D if your under 60 there’s months to wait.

revd

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2021, 11:22:55 am »
There’s more old duffers than I thought on here  :) well older than me  ;D if your under 60 there’s months to wait.

I'm well under 60... no underlying health issues and had eye laser surgery at Guy and St Thomas in Dec 2020...  Perhaps because I'm a "key worker" as an ordained minister?  Hey ho. Pissing down with rain and fairly heavy traffic. But still so much fun to be on the bike and just enjoy riding it. Goretex is the way to go (and heated grips).

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2021, 11:47:26 am »

I'm well under 60... no underlying health issues and had eye laser surgery at Guy and St Thomas in Dec 2020...  Perhaps because I'm a "key worker" as an ordained minister?  Hey ho. Pissing down with rain and fairly heavy traffic. But still so much fun to be on the bike and just enjoy riding it. Goretex is the way to go (and heated grips).

I think you must know someone who is all powerful! Other than that, not sure how you fit the criteria, but glad for anyone who gets the jab. I'm missing out on group 4 by a month.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2021, 12:47:46 pm »

I think you must know someone who is all powerful! Other than that, not sure how you fit the criteria, but glad for anyone who gets the jab. I'm missing out on group 4 by a month.

Careful, I just about qualify as a millennial so am pretty susceptible to conspiracy theories! :P

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2021, 02:31:56 pm »
Just got my letter from a 12 year old in Russia who claims on behalf of the NHS that I should go online and book mine. It can't be genuine because they weren't asking for any money or bank details...

And as for the NHS? Well overpaid and underworked if you ask me....

I really don't know where the knocks come from apart from when there is a huge cock-up when it is fully justified as in the almighty review at Salford Royal following my mum's on-ward treatment following brialliant emergency tratment and a wonderful life-saving operation.

I was born just before the NHS came into being. They saved my life when I was about 2 years old and had an enormous abcess on a gland in my throat. They didn't kill me when they took my tonsils out at 12, although one young lad in my batch didn't make it through the folowing night. They saved my knee joint following my only mototcycle accident at 16. They have been there every time I needed them down the following 58 years and I have no idea how they do it. Or why really!

The young lady who took blood etc. prior to me seeing the consultant with my knackered wrists last January said her sister (sibling, not senior) earned more that her stacking shelves at the Morrisons supermarket over the road from Hereford General where she worked. No training, no qualifications, no responsibilities, no unpaid overtime and also no desire to get shit on by one and all at every turn.

Heros every last one. But they still won't get a pay a rise.

PS The 12 year old in Russia came through, both appointments booked at Boots and it only cost me £2,345. Each... :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 02:34:44 pm by Phmode »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2021, 02:53:15 pm »
Makes sense Bri, I stole your identity to get my jab earlier.