Author Topic: BMW HP Dash Retrofit - Guide  (Read 19478 times)

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S 30th Year
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED indicators, LED H7 Conversion, HP Dash
BMW HP Dash Retrofit - Guide
« on: January 30, 2019, 10:39:57 am »
Morning all,

For a bit of a winter project (amongst others) and after spotting that the price of the HP dash has come down quite a lot since I last looked - I decided to purchase one and DIY retrofit it myself - so in case anyone else is tempted here's the guide.

For ref I fitted this to a 2013 30th Anniversary model, aside from the differences in the ABS etc - the guide will be much the same steps to retrofit, the coding / programming will look differently but ISTA/P should work it out for itself for just about any year of K1300 (I think probably also a K12 but can't confirm).

So this is what we're upto:

Parts you will need:

HP Instrument cluster: 62117719732 - £990.00
https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike-spare-parts/search_results.php?keywords=62117719732

Mounting Parts Hp Instrument Cluster: 71607715840 - £61.61
https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike-spare-parts/search_results.php?keywords=71607715840

Wiring Harness For Instrument Cluster 71607723833 - £72.60
https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike-spare-parts/search_results.php?keywords=71607723833

Set Auxiliary Switch Set Menu: 71607721855 - £110.00 (I got mine off eBay for £42.55)
https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike-spare-parts/search_results.php?keywords=71607721855

ISA Screw x 2: 32727705874 (may come with your "Switch Set Menu") - £1.98 EA
https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike-spare-parts/search_results.php?keywords=32727705874

If you purchase from the above site (It's Rybrook Ltd really) you may receive a 10% discount for spends over £1000 (this is unfortunately...) if you don't get a discount code offered - try asking for one!

Tools you will need:

Torx bits (prefer T handles)
Side Cutters (for zip ties)
Battery Charger (need to maintain voltage above 13v for duration of coding which takes about 15-20 mins)

BMW ICOM A2 or NEXT (I bought a clone next - without HDD or WiFi) - £160~ ish......
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WIFI-ICOM-NEXT-ICOM-A2-A3-FOR-BMW-NEXT-for-BMW-ICOM-A2-B-C-3/32922166924.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3cbf4c4d4WfJGr

BMW ICOM D cable (to plug into bikes 10 pin round OBD connector) - £10~ ish.....
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-BMW-ICOM-D-Cable-for-bmw-Motorcycles-Cable-Motobikes-Diagnostic-Cable/32773984658.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3cbf4c4d4WfJGr

Don't be tempted to buy one of the cheap ICOM D cables off Amazon or eBay - they're nearly all wired up completely wrong, I did, and had to chop the end off, work out the wiring and crimp terminal pins on so I could push them into the bikes OBD connector one by one.....

Don't bother with a K+DCAN cable off Amazon either, I bought two - they both turned out to be cheap cr4p and never once talked to the bike. You may get them to work, but the prevailing opinion is don't even think of trying to program (ie flash) the modules in the bike with one of these - here be dragons!!!

Armed with the ICOM A2 or NEXT, you'll basically be able to do anything the dealer can do to any BMW model ever made.......

Here's mine all working - note the chopped up cheapo ICOM D cable - essentially the maker has wired it up with the pin assignments done the mirror of what they should be, and why I cut the end off and crimped connectors on to push into the OBD connector (round thing clipped under seat at rear):

If you do the same as me - be very careful, two of the pins are 12v and ground - don't want to short them out onto the K line pin......(you'll need a new ZFE / DME probably)

Software you'll need:

BMW ISTA/P (Our K13's are an older proto compared to the new GS's R1250s etc) so you'll want this as opposed to ISTA/+ (aka D as was) - try and get version 3.66.

BMW ISTA/+ (D) - will do diagnosis for faults etc on our bikes, it will diagnosoe and flash F,G,I series cars and newer bikes - but for our purposes not really needed (handy for faults tho like I said). Try and get version 4.15.23.

Given that this is BMW software, your options to purchase are limited and expensive. All I can suggest is the internet is your friend......beware - these are enormous bits of software (ISTA/P and ISTA/+ are about 200GB together when installed - but cover literally every vehicle ever made BMW, Motorrad, Rolls Royce, Mini plus some Husqvarna's (and a weird brand of Snowmobiles......)

I'm still adding images from the coding / programming process......

Top tip: Remove the screen and the trim panel behind the speedo (it pulls out) so you can get at the connectors - but do NOT remove the old speedo (aka KOMBI) until the ISTA/P software tells you to - it needs to read the milage off the old speedo before it can code and program the new.

Secret Bonus that I've not seen elsewhere:

The dash is made by 2D (the unit is known as the BigDash) in Germany:
http://2d-datarecording.com/en/produkte/hardware/display-unit/bigdash/

These are / were supplied to race teams for Moto3, Moto2 amongst others, what no one tells you really is that the BMW unit is bespoke (tho very very similar). I've worked out how you can use the 2D software to fully customise the dash over and above what BMW supplied.

You need to acquire either:

WC-COM01USB-000 (slower, does about 270Kb/s)

or

WC-COM02USB-000 (faster, does about 1Mb/s)

The only ones I've seen for sale are over a hundred quid, however - acquire yourself:

An FTDI (must have this chip in it) USB Serial Cable: less than a tenner
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/USB-Cables/USB-Serial-TTL-Cable-FTDI/B00514ZCHQ

Binder 719 5 pin Female Socket: about 15 quid
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/sensor-switch-cables-connectors/7345307/]https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/sensor-switch-cables-connectors/7345307/[/url]

And you can use the 2D drivers from their website:
http://2d-datarecording.com/en/downloads/treiber/

The socket for the cable is on the back of the dash at the top with a round plastic dust cover. I have as yet to actually try to program the dash as the software you use for this ...... is a little "involved" and it's literally only yesterday that I fitted and coded this all in!

I'll work the software out though as I want to change the fuel guage (old shows 10+ levels for fuel and the 2D dash shows 5, as well as range to empty is no longer present until you hit reserve >:( )

Programming and Coding

Armed with an install of ISTA/P (plenty of info out on the net so I'll not duplicate that here) ensure that you have a battery charger connected. I found an Optimate via the socket wasn't quite up to the job due to the cycles and programmes it runs - so a normal charger connected direct to the battery works better for this.

When you fire ISTA/P up, create a new session and therafter make sure that your screen looks similar to this:

Note how my odometer reading was "0km" this is when I had fitted the HP dash before starting the process, which is incorrect, start the process and only install the HP dash when ISTA/P tells you to.

The two activation codes bottom right are for the Gearshift assist and the ASC I believe. There is a way to retrofit these without having to visit the dealer but I'll not go into detail here.

The "integration level (plant)" is the firmware version the bike left factory with, and the "(actual)" field is what the bike currently has. This will change to a new version by the time we've finished - the "12" is actually the year part of the version number - we'll end up with an "18" figure version.

Click on "control unit tree" and you'll see the 4 or 5 modules K13's have (dependant on spec)

KOMBI = Dash
DME = Engine "ECU"
ZFE = Central Chassis Electronics
DWA / RDC = Combined Alarm and Tyre Pressure Monitoring

There's also a method to retrofit the alarm if your bike doesn't have one (Like mine doesn't...........).

I'm missing an image for the next bit, but click on "Vehicle" tab (first screenshot) then "Conversion" and select "2D HP Dash" followed by "Determine Measures Plan". This is where ISTA/P works out what it needs to do.

More to come.......
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:24:57 am by sitting_duck »

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
Re: BMW HP Dash Retrofit - Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 11:50:38 am »
Only read half of the post, don't intend to do this, but just the info in the ICOM D cables and the ICOM or NEXT device is very useful. Thanks for posting!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:05:37 pm »
Thanks for posting Nick, very helpful for anyone wanting to do the same.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:34:40 pm »
Phenomenal detail - good stuff!

One question though - what does an HP dash give me above and beyond the basic one?
I've only ever seen pictures of them.

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 01:50:37 pm »
This isn't my vid but gives you a good overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HgRIqasIq4&index=2&t=232s&list=PLxJ1lYyZpgc4c6IpeEuq2GVrAFycP9UG5

Upshot - it's an over expensive bauble that doesn't add anything for road use really, but.....it does look cool 8)

I suppose you could argue it gets you a programmable shift light (you can adjust it for every gear if you so desire). There's stuff useful for trackdays (race mode etc, manual lap counter - though you can pay and add the IR receivers and transmitters if you wish).

My plan is - given it's fully customisable, is to have it so the info button on the bike can scroll through additional metrics such as alternator voltage, oil pressure oil temp, coolant temp etc don't need it, but a fun nerdy little project all the same.

2D makes the following software which if you have / make the cable I mention earlier will allow you to program the dash to do anything you can think of (it's a CANBus  peice of hardware this dash) - WinIt / WinARace.

The latest software for config of the dash has just been released this month, as it's a free download I'll link to it here:

http://2d-datarecording.com/en/downloads/setups/

Download "Race2019"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:01:33 am by sitting_duck »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 05:38:59 pm »
Thanks for the video. I could see myself buying one instead of the standard unit, if that broke.
I like the warmup rev limit and the rev LEDs - easier to see peripherally than the normal rev needle.

I guess it's the sort of dash you get on the fancier new bikes nowadays.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 06:00:13 pm »
That must be some dash at £1500 plus a throw.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:07 pm »
Think I'd rather use that amount of money on a deposit for a new KTM SD GT. https://youtu.be/bcfzgIZW5Qo?t=136

But then as an old boy I used to know would say. Yeh dinny look at the gearbox when yer welding the chassis, son.  ;D
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 10:23:40 pm »
That must be some dash at £1500 plus a throw.

Listen you eejit, didn't you see the bit about the warmup rev limit  ::)

Just imagine, instead of you and me ignorantly crashing into the rev limiter prior to every up-shift within four seconds of hitting the start button as we habitually do at the moment, the bike will actually stop us and defend us from ourselves   :o

And, when you consider the cost of the labour for a total re-build of a shot motor, never mind the parts, you can see why it would be money well spent  8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 11:04:02 pm »
Must be doing something wrong. Can't ever recall taking a bike into the red.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 09:35:50 am »
Phenomenal detail - good stuff!

Amazing info:-) and very cool I have to say!  Peter

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 10:20:39 am »
Superb write up with, what looks like, exactly the level of detail required. Well done.

However, I'm with Tom. Approx. £1500 for a dash seems OTT to me. If I bought a bike with one on, I'd be very happy, and if one was available at £250 I may even be interested (if I still had a K1300S!!!!) but £1500? Not for me.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 06:00:07 pm »
Superb write up with, what looks like, exactly the level of detail required. Well done.

However, I'm with Tom. Approx. £1500 for a dash seems OTT to me. If I bought a bike with one on, I'd be very happy, and if one was available at £250 I may even be interested (if I still had a K1300S!!!!) but £1500? Not for me.

Aye it's not really worth it in general, but I thought it looked cool and was a fun little project working it all out. I'm taking the view that as I absolutely love this K13, there's nothing else currently I'd rather have instead so I'm going to keep this one for eons and make it the best K13 to me it can be.

I fancy the Akrapovic race exhaust system (as a 30th Jahre I have an Akrapovic titanium can as stock) but this is a full system:
http://www.bikenation.co.uk/akrapovic-racing-line-bmw-k1300-carbon £1129.00 -eek!

Don't want that carbon can but I haven't found out yet if you can get the system without it so I can keep my existing titanium one. They're claiming 9 horse and a whole 3 lb/ft at the rear wheel, so with a power commander (I'd prefer not to fit one but don't see much work at all being done on the stock ECU really) it could make for a small - probably not noticeable improvment in the already pretty damned good performance.

Incidentally there's an option in ISTA/P to lower the power output to 79kw (circa 100hp) which I guess is for France back in the day........

I also wouldn't mind them forged wheels:

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-hp-forged-front-wheel-for-k1200s-k1200r-k1300s-k1300s.html

But at getting on for 2 grand the pair that's a bit much. That said, with the exhaust system adding some grunt and dropping some weight off (a whole 4kg) and the wheels dropping off about another whole kg gives you a power:weight ratio gain of a whole 50hp per ton...... totally worth it (in daft man maths land)  :P

I could go even more daft and blag a set of these:

https://www.omniaracing.net/en/bst-carbon-fiber-wheels-pair-for-bmw-k1300r-k1300s-black-panther-spoke-p-16590.html

3600 Euros  :o

I know what this bike is allegedly supposed to be but it's an absolute all rounder for me (fitted a hepco and becker rack and top box to the BMW rear rack - I know, a top box  ::) ) so I don't have a problem with the contradiction that is chucking performance parts and touring parts at it at the same time!

I've got back after a few days off so pictures and further detail of how to code this  HP dash to the bike will be posted shortly......

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 10:35:20 pm »
I fancy the Akrapovic race exhaust system (as a 30th Jahre I have an Akrapovic titanium can as stock) but this is a full system:
http://www.bikenation.co.uk/akrapovic-racing-line-bmw-k1300-carbon £1129.00 -eek!

I also wouldn't mind them forged wheels:
https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-hp-forged-front-wheel-for-k1200s-k1200r-k1300s-k1300s.html

But at getting on for 2 grand the pair that's a bit much. That said, with the exhaust system adding some grunt and dropping some weight off (a whole 4kg) and the wheels dropping off about another whole kg gives you a power:weight ratio gain of a whole 50hp per ton...... totally worth it (in daft man maths land)  :P

Save your money, and put it towards a Motorsport Edition K1300S.
You'll get both for free (well, something damned close if you take the baffle out of the Akra).

You'll even get tarty rearsets.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Ah, sh*t, I did.  :-[

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 11:21:52 pm »
You been on the Pernod again Richard?