Author Topic: Moulded in-ear speakers?  (Read 14395 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Moulded in-ear speakers?
« on: September 02, 2016, 02:30:24 pm »
So, having been through the trauma of trying to get my Sena20S, my iPhone 4S and my Garmin 660 to accept calls from Rae( :o ) and finally succeeded after calling him on the way to Cadwell on Monday, I now have no volume in my left lug and virtually none with tons of distortion in my right ear'ole.

Been here before, ate the T-shirt to prove it. My moulded lug plugs are done. Again! In fact Again! and Again! and Again! Just tested them with my iPad and they are most definitely ex-speakers  >:(

Two to theee years light use seems to be the maximum life of these things.

So, before I rush off and spend my money again I need some recommendations from others who use in-ear moulded monitors:-

1 Who do you get yours from?

2 How long do they last?

3 Does your supplier do short leads? (I'm sick of having three feet of cable wound up inside my helmet lining >:( )

4 Do they do different colour left and right? (Sick of trying to work out which is which in the dark and have ridden 200 miles with them jammed in the wrong hole and got home with blood all over the place  :o )

5 How much do you pay for them?

I know Simon uses them, anyone else out there?

Brian (who can't be arsed trying to screw normal plugs in only to have them work out as he rides  ::) )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Moulded in-ear speakers?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 03:40:42 pm »
Αfraid that my similar experiane leads to buying a new set as I did again and again. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 07:40:33 pm »
Would it not work out cheaper investing in a bluetooth head set. £150 for a single. Had my Set for over 3 years now and no problems. Calls, music and sat nav. No issues and no cables to worry about.
Mark Barbour

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 07:47:29 pm »
Yeah,  maybe the set gave you last time can do the trick being Bluetooth Brian.
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:58:20 pm »
Now this might be stirring it, but how about live without it, and on the rare occasions you need to make a call, take your helmet off?
And for incoming maybe a notification light/buzzer/240V jolter.

http://l8smartlight.com/shop/ - some problem with latest iOS, but I'm sure they'll suss it. Or go bust.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Bracelet-Vibrating-Alert-Alarm-White/dp/B00EY7ZWEO

I'll get my coat.

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:30:19 pm »
Just use moulded ear plugs, with my g9x . Plenty loud enough well into three figures.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 12:32:33 pm »
Mark, my Sena is Bluetooth! But you still have to get the lectrics from the unit to your ears, which means either using the in-helmet speakers with standard ear plugs (which for me always seem to work loose on longer rides) or using moulded ones. If I'm going to the expense of getting moulded ones made (and the phaff of going to the audiologist to get impressions taken) the cost of getting the speakers fitted is hardly any more expensive, relatively speaking!

Richard, stop stirring it! If it hadn't been for my existing system, we would still be sitting by the side of the road en-route to Cadwell while I tried to divest myself of my gloves, helmet and ear plugs so I could fiddle around in my pocket to find my phone so we could call Rae to tell him we were on our way  ;D ;D Which would then have taken twenty minutes longer as I put my phone away, did up my jacket, re-donned my plugs, helmet and gloves and finally remembered what we were doing before your tyre went down.

As it was, while you were testing the pressure of your tyre, I simply pressed a couple of buttons on the sat nav and viola, a string instrument! Too Simples and all done while we rode through the village.

I find taking my helmet off to make or answer my phone while riding to be a tad difficult! Almost as difficult as getting the phone out of my inside jacket pocket  ::)

Incoming calls appear on my sat nav screen and are answered or rejected with one finger touch to the screen and also give an audible tone in the headset. Also, sat nav spoken instructions appear in my ears as if by magic, which means I don't miss exits on roundabouts or turnings down country lanes!!

Of course, being old school, you know nothing of this modern technology 8) However, I gotta get me one of them vibrating wristbands, hours of mindless fun for one and all  :o

Dave, see my comments about moulded plugs above.

I have actually thought about using DiY moulded plugs, which saves the time, cost and hassle of going to get impressions made. Has anyone used the DiY kits that are available?

Costas, I'd forgotten all about it. It does the same thing as my Sena. I'll offer it up to the members to see if anyone can make use of it.

So, no one with recommendations for good and reliable moulded in-ear monitors then?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:53:14 pm by Phmode »

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 01:38:03 pm »
Brian, Are you speakers an integral part of  or removable from the moulded earpieces ? Mine are Audiofit with Moulded earpieces and clip in clip off miniture speakers, they are superb and if the speakers go T.ts up  they will be clipped off and sent off for repair or replacement ( Not excessive cost ) Also they do shorter leads as you requested.

JS
JS

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 04:24:54 pm »
Brilliant! You is  my hero!

I seemed to recall the bit about the shorter leads and I love the fact that the speakers are removable/repairable/replaceable.

Mine are integral. I could easily squidge the speakers out of the moulding I suppose but they are, as far as I am aware, not removable per se.

Where did you buy yours from Simon?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:54:00 pm by Phmode »

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 04:58:26 pm »
Brian, As follows : http://www.audiofit.co.uk/

JS

PS They also come with a free suppresion kit when your QS blows your gearbox up it stops you hearing it and crying like a big babby !!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:01:38 pm by JackSnipe »
JS

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 05:39:42 pm »
Shure  the brand that does earpieces, microphones etc for the music world makes some wonderful ear pieces, a bloke here uses them in his helmet. Might be a solution worth looking at. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 05:51:55 pm »
Having looked at the website, there is nothing there about the speaker bit being removeable, clip on etc.

However, they also talk about being agents for Emtec and their website has a product called NoiseBreaker which seems to be an ear moulding with an orifice into which various speakers can be clipped. This is great, but the speaker bits seem to protrude outside the ear moulding.

Do yours protrude Simon? Also, do you have in-helmet speakers as well as the in-ear speakers?

Offline scootinstevey

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 07 K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus can, R&G protectors, baglux cover, bar risers, booster plug
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 10:31:35 pm »
Costas, I'd forgotten all about it. It does the same thing as my Sena. I'll offer it up to the members to see if anyone can make use of it.

Hi Brian

I would be interested in this.

Steve

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 10:46:42 pm »
Chaps, They do not petrude they are very small and unobtrusive there is a small metal grid (female bit if you like) built on the outside of the earpiece (It is embedded in the moulding) which you clip the speakers in.  I will photograph same tomorrow and  e-mail them to you if you remind me of your address. To be frank I have not seen better equipment Formula 1 boys and aviators have the same type of gear as this, they are comfortable and stop all the damaging outer noise but crystal clear pillion voice or sat nav or phone whatever floats your boat. Have a look on the Purtone site and the Nannocom stuff the company I used are the retailer if you like of Purtone. On our set up our personal earpieces each have a miniture speaker (Removable) fitted to them connected to a wire that joins a cable (Kevlar protected) and is fitted with an elbow jackplug that we plug into our Carda Scala Q3. All high quality.

JS
JS

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 11:20:11 pm »
I got mine at the NEC bike show. If you go the last day you can normally get the price down, I got 2 for 1.