Author Topic: New to me  (Read 7674 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: New to me
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 04:31:16 pm »
If that Akra is the same as my Akra, then your baffle has been removed.

I'll text you a piccie of mine which has it still in place.

With the baffle in place (on my BMW Akra) that threaded hole is blocked by the bolt which is spot welded in place and the perforations in the inner bit of the silencer are not visible as the baffle is a solid tube.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:26:14 pm by Phmode »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 07:33:34 pm »
Ah. Bum. I guess it won't pass an MOT without one either?

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 10:59:03 pm »
Just a quick point but worth noting, if you bought the bike from anyone in the UK (dealer or private sale) and they didn't alert you to the fact that the baffle is missing, they have a legal responsibility to sell you a road worthy bike and if the Akra without baffle is not MOT worthy then it's their responsibility to provide you with one.

Obviously I'd be a little less blunt and more tactful when I called them, but they ought to sort it for you.
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 11:03:15 pm »
There is no noise limit for a bike on the MoT unless it has changed in the last year or so...

All down to the ear of the particular tester. My GS was especially fruity and one of the testers at my local station said he would have failed it but the other guy passed it no problem.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 07:13:25 am »
I envy you.
Enjoy the big new beast.
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 08:56:30 am »
Just a quick point but worth noting, if you bought the bike from anyone in the UK (dealer or private sale) and they didn't alert you to the fact that the baffle is missing, they have a legal responsibility to sell you a road worthy bike and if the Akra without baffle is not MOT worthy then it's their responsibility to provide you with one.

Obviously I'd be a little less blunt and more tactful when I called them, but they ought to sort it for you.

Yup, that was my next step. Tact though - ooo - could be a challenge.   ::)
I'm guessing the previous owner still has it in his garage and forgot to hand it over when he sold it.  They can chase him.

And Brian is correct - there's no formal limit:
https://training.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/Section-8-Exhaust-noise.html

'...the noise emitted from the motorcycle isn't clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition'

It's a standard BMW fittting on this model, nice Mr Garageman, so it definitely isn't above the level expected from itself.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 09:28:38 am »
Have you checked the panniers, it could be in there?
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 09:30:12 am »
My bet is that is in the topbox  8)

Offline MadMountainbike

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon Clutch Mod, K1300 silencer
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 11:27:13 am »

[/quote] And Brian is correct - there's no formal limit:
https://training.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/Section-8-Exhaust-noise.html

'...the noise emitted from the motorcycle isn't clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition'

It's a standard BMW fittting on this model, nice Mr Garageman, so it definitely isn't above the level expected from itself.  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

I didn't know that, I always assumed that there was an official dB limit...
Sometime XC racer, zero bike skills. Keen skier, no technique. Ex President & hopeless optimist... Especially at high speed or high altitude.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 01:28:06 pm »
Not in the panniers. They're missing too  ;D

Couldnt see your picture Brian - only the text, but thanks anyway. No worries. I'll ring the dealer tomrrow...

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 09:12:37 pm »
Mine was in the pannier, funny that, but you should go back to the seller and ask for the original DB killer, it makes a big difference.  I ride with mine out 2 weeks a year and it is a LOT of fun, but then it goes back in again!  Peter

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 09:44:49 pm »
I've never been tempted to take mine out. Does it make it louder at all revs and speeds or is sort of 'tuned' to only be loud when it is being given some?

The Remus can on my GS could be heard two counties away and although it wasn't a particularly 'bad' sound, it sure got the attention of other road users.

Thankfully my K13 is slightly more refined    8)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 05:28:13 am »
Having been one of those following a K1300S Motorsport with its baffle out around the Picos, I can tell you that everyone was recommending the reinstallation of the baffle at the earliest possible opportunity.  ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 07:10:53 am »

Does it make it louder at all revs and speeds or is sort of 'tuned' to only be loud when it is being given some?

I would say it is a bit louder when starting and at tick over but you really notice it when you are on the throttle and the exhaust flap is opens.  Peter

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 08:39:24 am »
The main reason to get it fitted (for me anyway) is to avoid attention to myself.
Tread lightly on the policeman's ear, so to speak.  :o

It's also a more relaxing ride. It sounds like I should be changing up, but there's no 7th gear. I looked in the virtual pannier for that too.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:42:40 am by richtea »