Author Topic: Wanted: K1200S/1300S expandable tank bag  (Read 4021 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Wanted: K1200S/1300S expandable tank bag
« on: June 09, 2019, 06:15:19 pm »
Hello all,
I'm after one of these, but it must be the expandable version, if anyone has one in reasonable nick:

Would also consider the older(?) version, but again it needs to be expandable.

Happy to exchange for a virtually new rear/tail pack, if that grabs your fancy:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3653.0

Thanks...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:27:12 pm by richtea »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Wanted: K1200S/1300S expandable tank bag
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:08:20 am »
Rich: If you don't find what you're after then I have a well used but perfectly serviceable Baglux tank harness you are welcome to. It may then be a lot easier to find a Baglux Alpha expandable tank bag to go on the harness as it's not bike specific.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 11:17:31 am »
Thanks David. You're quite right.
I have a red Baglux harness already, so thanks for your kind offer. However, if it's a Motorsport colour one, then you may well be able to twist my arm.

However, I've grown to rather like the BMW bag, mainly because it's waterproof without needing a cover, and the fixing is pleasantly subtle.
But a Baglux will be my fallback position. I reckon my existing BMW bag will survive another year, so I'm just implementing some early succession planning!
I've told the bag zips to buck their ideas up if they want to go on another trip.  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:27:55 am »
If its only the zips letting it down, have you thought about getting them replaced.

A little 'treasure' should be be able to pop new ones in, even the submarine zips are available nowadays.

Local dressmaking/alteration/repair services may come up trumps (sorry for the profane language) or somewhere like Hideout may know someone...cheaper and more eco friendly than binning and buying  new 8)

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 12:06:09 am »
Hi Rich,
I have one of those but It’s not for sale just a wee bit of information on it , these are quite small a few sandwiches and a small flask 😀 but are water proof and not expandable also the map window pocket does allow water in or heavy condensation which can be quite a pain to dry out. Hope this information is useful. Thanks

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:08 am »
Hi Rich,
I have one of those but It’s not for sale just a wee bit of information on it , these are quite small a few sandwiches and a small flask, but are water proof and not expandable also the map window pocket does allow water in or heavy condensation which can be quite a pain to dry out. Hope this information is useful. Thanks

It sounds dreadful. You should probably sell it straight away. ;)

> not expandable
There are two models, and they look near-identical. The expandable one has an extra zip all round - unzip, and hey presto up it pops - about double the height, and still nicely waterproof - bar the map pocket as you rightly say.

I've had both varieties. I sold my non-expandable one yesterday. The crying shame was that its zips were perfect. I never used it - it was bought it by mistake without looking at the picture carefully enough. You live and learn.

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:40:33 pm »
My preference would be the SW MOTECH ring tank bags. Easy to take off and on. No daft straps etc. use my small daily for commute and got an expandable one for longer trips. Had these for about 6 years now and find them great and can hold so much stuff.

https://sw-motech.com/en/products/luggage/tank+bags/EVO+tank+bag/4052572042687.htm
Mark Barbour

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 03:20:52 pm »
My preference would be the SW MOTECH ring tank bags. Easy to take off and on. No daft straps etc. use my small daily for commute and got an expandable one for longer trips. Had these for about 6 years now and find them great and can hold so much stuff.

https://sw-motech.com/en/products/luggage/tank+bags/EVO+tank+bag/4052572042687.htm

> Rain cover with transparent map window

Hmmm, not sure.
At that price I'd rather have a waterproof one with daft straps.  :o
Rain covers don't really work when you have to get stuff out every hour or so.  That was the main negative point to Baglux/Bagsters.

But I'll have a think. Ta!

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 03:32:10 pm »
I've used the SW Motech tank bags for my last three bikes - Kawasaki 1400 GTR, Kawasaki Versys 1000  and now the K1300 GT. Each time that I've changed the bike, I've needed to buy a new tank bag and tank fixing ring, however the convenience makes it worthwhile to me. The old equipment has sold in no time and remained in "as new" condition throughout my ownership.

I've tried alternatives, however nothing comes close to the SW product for my use. Once fitted, I only take it off the bike to refuel, although I don't really need it all of the time.

Over some five years of using these bags, I've never yet found any water penetrating the fabric, despite touring in all weathers.

Highly recommended in all!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 03:49:51 pm »

Over some five years of using these bags, I've never yet found any water penetrating the fabric, despite touring in all weathers.

Ah, now I'm slightly confused. Do they have a separate rain cover?
And if so, without it, I think you're saying the fabric is reasonably 'water resistant', yes?

Just trying to make sense of it.

> despite touring in all weathers
Have you ever ridden in Wales? (in-joke for Brian, that one). If not 'all weather' hasn't yet been experienced   :P

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 04:34:58 pm »
Another piece of un-useful information I one travelled to France on a borrowed motorcycle and at time did not have any luggage for it . So had to use my magnetic tank bag from my R1200c a large rucksack On my back and a large size carry on case bungeed on the rear of the bike in a large water proof bin liner😂 not very fashionable but practical.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 05:11:32 pm »
And, to compare and contrast, my Bags Connection Day Pack (as seen on the recent Wrinklies trip) soaks up the water without the cover on and getting the cover on is a real pig. Then, once on, it balloons under chest at speed and you have to fight the thing off to remove the bag for fuelling or to get things out of it.

I hate rain covers... :(

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 05:44:25 pm »
I hate rain covers... :(

In that case, you'd love the genuine BMW tank bag, Brian:
- unzip
- release toggle to open the waterproof inner lining
- you're in

And in reverse:
- drop stuff in
- pull drawstring & toggle it
- zip and done

The waterproof inner lining looks proper bodged together, but I can confirm it's simple & works really well.
(As S-BMW says, the only weakness is that the map pocket is outside the waterproof lining. But paper maps? Whoa! Not me. Ahem.  ::))

Oh, and the zips wear a little. So, back to my quest for a newer bag. I'm here all year...

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 06:41:11 pm »
The SW Motech bags do include a rain cover, though I have not found a need for it as yet. We go to Wales every year (Radnor Revivals, Llanbister) and in just over a week are away to Scotland, one of our other regular trips. In between, we usually head to Dijon for the Coupe De Moto Legende most years and have recently visited Austria (Hotel Weissespitze, BMW Test Bike Centre), Switzerland and Castellane in the south of France.

In all we regularly get very wet, however the bags have never leaked!

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 08:15:44 pm »
Must agree with Flatfour, never had any issues in the rain. Especially with the large bag. Never found any issue with water proof covers.
As long as tightened correctly.
Mark Barbour