Author Topic: The End Of The K Series?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
The End Of The K Series?
« on: December 02, 2020, 03:40:29 pm »
It's now December and there has not been any announcements on the K16 meeting Euro5 Requirements. All other BMWs have now been refreshed or updated, unless it happens soon or we get a Euro5 concession, this is the end of the line?  :-\

(I know there are not a lot of K16 fans on here, but it is the last of the Ks, and this is the Euro K Club)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: The End Of The K Series?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 05:27:22 pm »
There may not be many K16 owners but it's a bold statement to say not many fans. Just sayin'  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 06:57:30 pm »
I agree.

Were I 30 years younger and in the market for a behemoth of a grand-tourer to spend 6 months of the year hooning two-up around the best places in Europe, a K16 would be top of my list.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 07:13:53 pm »
It's down to the each country, and the lifeline is Covid-19:
https://www.acem.eu/the-eu-adopts-new-rules-on-end-of-series-to-help-the-motorcycle-sector-to-cope-with-the-covid-19-outbreak

Under the new article 44a of EU Regulation 168/2013, manufacturers facing a problem of excess inventory of Euro 4 vehicles as a result of the COVID-19 lockdowns introduced across Europe can request the national authorities of the relevant Member State permission to place in the market their excess inventory until 31 December 2021. This new measure complements – as a derogation – the current end-of-series rule (article 44).

The national authority concerned will decide, within a month of receiving the request, whether to permit the registration of those end-of-series vehicles within its territory and in what number. Under this arrangement, a special entry qualifying the vehicles as “2021 - end-of-series” will be made on the certificate of conformity of the vehicles put into service.

But hey - they've picked a new colour already, so it's OK! (maybe)
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2020/july/bmw-unveils-2021-model-tweaks

The K1600GT gains new ‘Mineral White’ paint while ‘Stardust metallic’ and ‘Blueplanet metallic/Ivory’ are dropped. On the spec front it gets standard reversing assistance and adaptive cornering lights, plus standard tyre pressure monitors and DRLs. New options include engine bars and an expanded touring package including both the engine bars and LED auxiliary lights.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 07:18:20 pm »
You've come up with the goods once again Rich  ;D Too much time on your hands  ;D

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 07:25:23 pm »
Bagger motor looks like it's been shot by a blunderbus filled with cap heads (double bagger I call it...)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 09:19:52 am »
It's down to the each country, and the lifeline is Covid-19:
https://www.acem.eu/the-eu-adopts-new-rules-on-end-of-series-to-help-the-motorcycle-sector-to-cope-with-the-covid-19-outbreak

Under the new article 44a of EU Regulation 168/2013, manufacturers facing a problem of excess inventory of Euro 4 vehicles as a result of the COVID-19 lockdowns introduced across Europe can request the national authorities of the relevant Member State permission to place in the market their excess inventory until 31 December 2021. This new measure complements – as a derogation – the current end-of-series rule (article 44).

The national authority concerned will decide, within a month of receiving the request, whether to permit the registration of those end-of-series vehicles within its territory and in what number. Under this arrangement, a special entry qualifying the vehicles as “2021 - end-of-series” will be made on the certificate of conformity of the vehicles put into service.

But hey - they've picked a new colour already, so it's OK! (maybe)
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2020/july/bmw-unveils-2021-model-tweaks

The K1600GT gains new ‘Mineral White’ paint while ‘Stardust metallic’ and ‘Blueplanet metallic/Ivory’ are dropped. On the spec front it gets standard reversing assistance and adaptive cornering lights, plus standard tyre pressure monitors and DRLs. New options include engine bars and an expanded touring package including both the engine bars and LED auxiliary lights.

So the Big K lives to fight another day  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 09:50:42 am »
So the Big K lives to fight another day  8)

Well, that depends entirely on the UK gov:

> ...can request the national authorities of the relevant Member State permission to place in the market their excess inventory until 31 December 2021...

Knowing we collectively told Europe to f*** off in 2016 it may not be quite so straightforward.
Triumph, for example, might quietly suggest to the gov that European slowcoach manuafcturers should be excluded, to help their own sales out. Or maybe our International Trade Secretary (Liz Truss?) has a BMW dealer friend who'll have a word on Whatsapp with her? Who knows how these things work behind the scenes.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 09:52:50 am »
I assume you could still buy a bike from outside the UK and import it.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 09:59:36 am »
I assume you could still buy a bike from outside the UK and import it.

Probably not without pain & grief:
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/mutual-recognition

Get vehicle approval to show that your imported vehicle meets environmental and safety regulations. You’ll need proof of approval to register the vehicle.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 11:32:55 am »
Oh well, just a thought.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 01:13:35 pm »
...and less of this 'we collectively'.

I didn't, collectively or otherwise. Does that mean I can still get one if I want one?

Offline Melvin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GTL
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 10:17:10 pm »
I didn't tell either🙄
Keep your knees in the breeze

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 07:47:28 am »
Having spent the last few days working on my KTMGT, fitting a PC and aftermarket air filter and taking off yards of emissions piping and god knows what else involved with such, I now have some sympathy with manufacturers trying to increase engine performance whilst sticking to the emission rules, which frankly i’ve always found bizarre because the test is only done at 4250 revs, so it’s like sitting a test when you already know the question.......

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 07:14:21 pm »
The new K bike would be an all electric model. As stated a few days ago at the Munich new countries executives presentation.
Embrace the wind.