Author Topic: BMW Quick shifter fitting to K1300GT?  (Read 8179 times)

Offline MikeTuckwood

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2011 K1300 GT EE
BMW Quick shifter fitting to K1300GT?
« on: November 07, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »
Has anybody fitted, or know of anywhere detailing the fitting of the BMW quickshifter from a K1300 S onto a 2011 reg K1300 GT EE?
Or whether it's possible or not at all....

In that they are pretty much the same engine and (I assume) ECU and drivetrain Etc, I'm wondering if like on many modern cars, unused facilities, plugs and looms Etc are still there but just not utilised...

Mike.

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
Re: BMW Quick shifter fitting to K1300GT?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:01:06 pm »
Interesting idea - I have a K1300GT and rode a S1000R as a loan bike with quick shift.

But - I suspect the ECU programming might be different and flashing a new code will be the issue, even if the physical connectors etc. are there. Plus the gear lever is different from the S and attaching the quick shift will be another problem.

Offline MikeTuckwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 04:18:20 pm »
Yes, I'm looking for firm absolute answers though to be fair. I could also suspect that everything is there but just not enabled on this model requiring only hardware and some connections and enabling at the dealer Etc?

Mike.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 06:10:29 pm »
Best to ask your local friendly BMW dealer.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 08:57:44 pm »
Here is the formal reply fm my mechanic, canbus system is deferent and has no option for the quickshifter, cables connecting zdf unit with o2 and file sensors do not have the extra pairs to receive electromagnetic pulse fm the shifter module. ECU lacks the e-circuit to read it.
In conclusion the quick shifter is not possible to be connected to a GT bike simply cause the bike's modules cannot read it.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:43:18 pm »
Yes, I'm looking for firm absolute answers though to be fair. I could also suspect that everything is there but just not enabled on this model requiring only hardware and some connections and enabling at the dealer Etc?

Mike.

I am 100% confident in saying that a stock 1300S quickshifter will NOT work. The gearshift control works the other way round (on upshifts GT pulls down , S pushes up). Yeah ok, if you can change the gear control housing/ levers and graft S footrests and gear lever on then I suppose its possible. My advice, buy an S.

Oh, and that was before I saw Costas reply ref electrics, so that should seal it.
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline MikeTuckwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 10:12:20 pm »
OK, I'll chase this one down locally, I wonder if there are elements missing from the "S" ECU that appear on the GT?
Quite right Timbox, that the linkage mechanism reversal issue is a mechanical issue that I can resolve without any problems. The elements Costas highlights are...... Disappointing.  :'(

Mke.  8)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 11:21:08 am »
We all have or wishes and wants, but a quickshifter on a road bike is as said before a gimmick too far. We have a top class engineer around here that used to build all Terry Becketts Tuned race bike stroker engines, he also worked for Spondon engineering and is renowned for his crankshaft rebuild work and re sleeving and fork straightening you name it this 70 plus year old can do it, like Ron Haslam another of his mates and I quote them both " A quick shifter damages engines and gear boxes" OK on a track bike as they need frequent rebuilds anyway. Just because it is available and "others have one" does not mean mean it is a good idea.

The advice by those that know is plain to understand, take it or leave it.
JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 12:01:27 pm »
We all have or wishes and wants, but a quickshifter on a road bike is as said before a gimmick too far. We have a top class engineer around here that used to build all Terry Becketts Tuned race bike stroker engines, he also worked for Spondon engineering and is renowned for his crankshaft rebuild work and re sleeving and fork straightening you name it this 70 plus year old can do it, like Ron Haslam another of his mates and I quote them both " A quick shifter damages engines and gear boxes" OK on a track bike as they need frequent rebuilds anyway. Just because it is available and "others have one" does not mean mean it is a good idea.

The advice by those that know is plain to understand, take it or leave it.
I think Simon, that Mike thinks if he keeps asking the question he may get a different answer. Or it may be a challenge to him to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist at any cost.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 01:00:19 pm »
 ;D

Offline MikeTuckwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 01:21:04 pm »
Haha, so many assumptions.
I was looking for facts. For the last 15 years plus, I have been building high performance engines and tuning solutions, including 500 600 and higher horsepower 2.0L and 2.5L turbocharged performance cars, from the ground up, regularly having to manufacture myself individual components and solutions to accompany them. And yes, I own my own garage involved in not only day to day diagnostics and engine/suspension work Etc but high end performance bespoke work too, most of which is done "in house".

I'm not having a dig at anyone at all, I was looking for facts. Plain and simple. I wasn't looking for smart arse pointlessly and to ZERO help, telling me in anorak style that my profile doesn't list my bike spec so might cause unnecessary scrolling, when I posted my bike spec only 4 posts earlier!!!

I don't need anyone promoting old wives tales about wear rates with a quick shifter fitted either, the same quickshifters which are common on many modern well engineered motorcycles. Some of which are on Almost identical component fitted "sister" bikes. I'm more aware than most of you as to a great extent this is an area I am a skilled professional in already.

I've been coming at this from multiple angles in the hope that somebody might already have the answer, (which has mostly been answered in my other thread by Costas).
I don't need anyone decided whether I'm looking for an answer that doesn't exist, if necessary, I'm more than capable of producing a working solution to most of these issues, but I'm a busy man and was pursuing this to avoid "re-inventing the wheel" so to speak.

There is a VERY simple measure of whether there has been any need to comment at all on this thread.... Ask yourself, have I contributed positively to furnishing the information requested by this poster?
If the answer is no, then why the hell are you commenting at all.... I mean FFS guys, Me asking is it possible does NOT warrant anyone questioning whether I ought to be even considering it at all really now..... does it.

If you've got nothing positive to contribute here why are you commenting at all, if you've got nothing to contribute, don't just slip back to trolling!
Some of you really do need to sit back and ask yourself "do I need to post in this thread again?"

Mike. (y)

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 09:21:34 pm »
Do you really need to keep asking the same question when you've been told it can't be done?

Offline MikeTuckwood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 09:50:05 pm »
I've not kept asking the same question, I've asked for detail facts indicating why it can't be done. Information from only ine source so far suggests 9with some supporting information why it might not be able to be done, which I will additionally research to see if that information is valid.

I've spoken to me local BMW main dealer today, their senior tech HASN'T ruled it out, based on my chassis VIN Etc and has asked me to go in so they can check the Electronics, particularly the memory input and the onboard retro fit list....

So, far from that SINGLE source supplying some inf, through the normal research process required for this and most other things, the jury is far from out at this stage.

I hope that doesn't upset anyone too much.....

Mike.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 10:21:38 am »
Putting previous posts aside Mike, why do you want to do this? I sometimes see things as a challenge when I'm told something cannot be done. I have succeeded in the past with things that cannot be done but it normally costs be far more money that to project is worth.
In your case quick shifters are normally associated with race bikes and having had a K1200GT the GT is far from a race bike, so what are your plans?

Offline MikeTuckwood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 12:16:05 pm »
Well, motivation to do it.... that's a bit of a mixed bag really so I'll happily show my reasoning Etc.

I rarely if ever, use my clutch on upshifts anyway, it's pretty much redundant going up the box in 99% of normal use for me, clutchless upshifts being routinely 100% clean and effortless.
Coming down the box is a WHOLE different story! Needing concentration and differing actions dependant on gearbox loads and speeds Etc.

"It's not a race bike"..... not per se it's not, but my riding is predominantly me only with empty panniers other than a few essentials, and very few of my rides are below the level of spirited. ;)

If I had the choice, I'd have either an S1000RR sport, or an RSV4 (SE or RF), my issue is, that to swap out my bike for one of those, I would be giving away far more than I was gaining. The bike is blisteringly fast with consumate ease.

I like to tinker and improve things and when someone passed me on a K1300S using the quick shifter, It even sounded slick. So it's a combination of all of those things put together.

Of course, if it looks like the BMW factory kit cant be accommodated or adapted/modified to work (within a sensible budget), the research element will lead me to that conclusion. If it can be doe for less than the cost of a power commander and associated extras and quick shift, then I'll move forward with it.

As for suitability, or reasoning for it, clearly BMW also concede that it would be helpful, as it's on the options list for the new model K1600 GT.

Mike.