Author Topic: Quadlock fitting  (Read 648 times)

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
Quadlock fitting
« on: May 21, 2024, 01:05:57 pm »
Hi all, I am thinking of maybe fitting a Quadlock to my K1200 for an upcoming tour of Portugal. Has anyone fitted one to our K handlebars or elsewhere. I would be interested to know what fittings to look for. Many thanks.
Watchin you Focker

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Quadlock fitting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 01:43:07 pm »
I've not (yet) used a quadlock but the easiest/best way to mount any such device on the K is to remove the BMW badge over the top yoke nut and replace it with a RAM ball. Once you have the RAM ball in place there are a whole range of mounting options available. You can see the Tom-tom mounted on the K1300S in this picture:

Link to original so you can zoom in: https://www.old-gits.org/pics2017/Day%205%20Thursday%20Col%20de%20la%20Bonette%20052.JPG

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 05:46:23 pm »
Opinions differ on the easiest/best way, as I use a Hornig RAM Ball Mount in the inner end of the left bar (or right if you prefer).

This keeps the device closer to the left hand (or right if you don't want to fiddle on the move) and considerably higher than the Triple Clamp location for much easier viewing without having to look down too far. Also, it doesn't obstruct the ignition lock.

Either way, most folks agree that the BMW battery cover mount is a no-no if you ever want to use a tank bag and also want to see your device.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 06:07:06 pm »

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 09:03:42 pm »
Thanks for the info chaps, it gives me something to go on.
Watchin you Focker

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 11:01:22 pm »
When fitting on the central yoke nut, keep the BMW badge. They cost about £30 or more for a bit of corporate plastic.
Or give it to me.  ::)

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats ezCAN II Accessory Manager Denali Soundbomb Compact Illuminated Side Emblems Antigravity Battery Tracker+
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 09:25:45 pm »
Before you go spending money let me know if there's a particular mount you are looking for as I blew £150 on Quad Lock mounts & accessories that I never used as I found something I liked better!

I ended up going with Peak Design as I much preferred their SlimLink mounting arrangement but although they do 8 or 9 different mounts I couldn't find the SlimLink wireless charging/powered/shockmount combination I wanted.

I mean they do separate wireless powered mounts, shock-mounts, SlimLink mounts etc. so I ended up blowing even more money on a selection of PD mounts as I figured I could use the same case and mount my phone in the car, eBike & eScooter as well as the motorbike but I ended up giving most of them to a friend!

The only Quad Lock part I ended up using in the end was their 12v USB to Smart Adaptor to power a concealed USB charger I fitted into the cubby of the GT but I still have the following brand new/boxed bits although I did use the iPhone case for a while to try getting used to it;

Weatherproof Wireless Charging Head
Motorcycle Vibration Dampener
Mag Case for iPhone 6.7" 2022 (14 Pro Max)

Really need to get round to selling some of these K1300 bits & pieces I've acquired over the last 12 months or so... :P

-=Glyn=-