Author Topic: Right hand switch gear.  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
Right hand switch gear.
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:25:43 pm »
So the reason for my dead parrot of a bike is pointing towards a problem with the right hand switch gear.
I remembered Brian did a very good article on fitting Helibars some time back, which had a description of removing said article.
Unfortunately the photo has been removed from the description.
So Brian could you please post that pic (if you still have it) of how to remove the twist grip and switch gear, or some advice, I know there is a couple of
holes in the bottom of the switch housing but I can not seem to locate a screw.
Many thanks Andy
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Right hand switch gear.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 09:29:26 am »
Andy better go and get a new one is free.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:09:25 pm »
Hi Andy. Only read your post late last night so sorry for the delay.

My dissertation on the helibars only showed the left bar switchgear removal.

You don't need to remove the bar end weight, twistgrip or throttle cable housing to get at the switchgear.

The screws are Torx T8. If you look at the one on the front of the left hand switch, which is much more visible and accessible, you will see the size of the head quite clearly.

Now, the only problem on the right side is that the screws are deeply countersunk so you will either need a long-shanked T8 OR, because I don't have one that small (because the long-shanked T handled Torx set from Aldi/Lidl that I invested my savings in only goes down to T10), an Allen key to fit AND because I can't find anything at the moment, let alone a small set of Allen keys, I can't tell you which size.

When you remove the two screws (white bed sheet on floor, towel draped over fairing and tank etc. etc.) the top and bottom halves of the switch housing then come apart exposing the throttle cable wheel and the screw on the top of the bar that holds the throttle assembly from below.

I have photos of these steps but haven't yet got around to replacing BotoFuckem.

If you can confirm that your e-mail address is still @ntlworld.com I will mail what I have to you.

However, when you get the switchgear apart, it is micro-surgery at the best, not a great set of clunky switches like the old originals which you could mend with a hammer and a welding torch.

Good luck.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 12:10:09 pm »

I'm confused Costas. I thought you said the goodwill thing had expired.

Offline Expo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 05:00:50 pm »
Thank you Brian and Costas. I've contacted Marshall BMW and their "Technical" team seem to think it's either the battery, I've had flat battery issue on this bike before and it didn't give the same symptoms  :-\ , or the.. gulp ... Ignition, even more expense  :-[ . They will drop me off a battery to try on Monday, which is nice.
Asked about the switchgear replacement on good will and they didn't seem too optimistic about it.
Will keep you posted
Andy

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 05:17:22 pm »

I'm confused Costas. I thought you said the goodwill thing had expired.
If forgot to mention mea culpa, its on again as many bikes did not went for replacement of swichgears but each and every single month a new one arrives at dealers. It's an ongoing issue. There were three versions both a and b had electronics effected by humidity, they were deferent versions  but had issues so they still accept and replace foc with version c. At list all 4 here perform it. Ask and get served (costas said) . But make sure you get the latest version.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:27:45 pm »
Thanks for the clarification and for the wise words from Costas the Wise One. I feel a trip to the stealers coming on.

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:21:54 pm »
Had my RH switchgear changed in July (K1300GT 2009) - under Extended Warranty so "only" cost me the £100 excess...... Wollaston said No Goodwill - so if you do get some, please let me/us know!

I have the factory DVD Manual - if you want I can email you a PDF of the 2 pages on RH Switch removal if you PM me with an email address. However it is pretty straightforward as explained above.

A
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:25:04 pm by Andysdad »

Offline Expo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 05:17:21 pm »
Thanks guys for all your input. Bike still languishing in the garage waiting for Marshals of Grimsby to collect, apparently their only pick up van is waiting to pass its mot ? Getting very frustrated as the end of the biking season draws close. Wish I had a bike trailor but alot of expense for a one off, (hopefully). Both switchgear were changed in 2010. Will follow up on the info given by Costas.
Many thanks Andy

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 01:48:53 pm »
Switchgear update always open dealer need to submit formal puma request mentioning version code numbers used initially.now some may remember that the issue especially in UK was the use of a new set of swiches but not the updated ones just parts found in the storage of the dealer that resulted in many repeated visits to dealers.   
Embrace the wind.

Offline stevemc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:18:40 pm »
Just a quick update on switchgear. In my case I had a problem with the left hand (no Horn) and the dealer charged me just under £200 for a replacement. When I asked them about replacing them as part of a known problem for free they said they were not covered! >:(.

Sorry to slightly hi jack the thread - hope you get it sorted

Steve