Author Topic: Iceland Adventure  (Read 2000 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Iceland Adventure
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:38:28 am »
A ride report that I posted on UKGSER from a trip I did with Mark and Tim from UKGSER.

What have we let ourselves in for?:eek: 

Tim, Steve, John, Stuart, Mark, Rob and Darren.

Such a great group of riders but don't tell them that I said so!  Every one of them helped me in many ways often ending up with wet feet.
Thanks guys.

Camping.

Who on earth would want to get out of their tent to a view like this? They don't even have night time here.

Everywhere else on Earth, the volcanic seams that birth new crust and shove continents apart lie at the bottom of the sea. In Iceland it's sitting right at the surface. Here the North American tectonic plate and the Eurasion tectonic plate rub against one another for all to see. How neat is that?
(Amazing what you can find out on Google)

Steinvarða (an Icelandic obsession?)

My photo doesn't do justice to the high viz green of the moss on the banks of this stream.

The flora in some areas is just beautiful. There are huge fines for those that dare to venture off road and get caught.

Best not to stand too near the edge.

Our tents and bikes arranged tidily at the campsite alongside Lake Mývatn. Champion snorer Steve kindly parked his tent well away from ours.
It was amusing to see who the poor sods would be that pitched their tents within range of Steve's tent.

A very windy day and two tents ended up with broken poles. Two of our group even coughed up for a night in the bunkhouse and another bedded down in an Icelandic turf house.

Regrouping after a river crossing.

Did you know that Ikea make flat pack churches?

Way out in the middle of nowhere and along comes a bus. They were fun to follow especially when the track was dry and dusty. Usually they indicated right when when approached and we were able to squeeze past.

The group stops to admire Mark's bike.

Yours truely.

Stuart was saving his sidestand for a special occasion.

Did I tell you how much I loved the water crossings? Tim has a photo showing me diving to check out the algae.

Tim was very proud of his 10mm combination spanner and fitted it to the bike so that we could all admire it.

Okay, by now I'm looking a bit of a wreck.

I don't think that "Health and Safety" has got to Iceland yet. :green gri

Steve gets his first puncture. Later in the holiday, sheltering from the wind in a concrete bunker, he showed us how to change a tube when he had another puncture.

John balancing bike on side stand while we have a brew and eat our sandwiches.

Turf houses.

Posh turf houses.

A strange land. Even the horizon slopes here.

Gullfoss a waterfall in the district of Bláskógabyggð. Good job most Icelanders speak English.

Rare for me to get a picture of someone riding through water. I'm usually busy emptying my panniers of water.

Phew, a bridge!

Rock jumps in front of bike.

Tricky stuff fine sand!

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

gibbo

Re: Iceland Adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:59:45 am »
Great pics Tom. A real man's place.  :)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 02:51:09 pm »
Lovely report and pics, 'ave a Plaudit point...

So, where does Tim keep the screwdriver to get his spanner off his frame?

Oh, and I thought you were looking better than the last time I saw you....

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:18:50 pm »
Excellent.
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 03:19:20 pm »
Now this is what I call a trip
Embrace the wind.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:38:48 pm »
What a beautiful country..

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 01:17:35 pm »
It is indeed gorgeous - some crazy crazy geology up there... wouldn't get me biking there for the wind...

...thanks for the sharing my friend.

PS : Do I spy a man peeing after the river crossing (12th pic)... bit nippy for that - better be quick - and careful with that zipper!!  :o
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:53 pm »
They had a heat wave when we were there 26deg.C. We were told warmest summer for five years. Mind you I did have to sleep with my woolly hat on to keep my head warm and rolled down over my eyes to shut out the light.

We did get very strong winds for a couple of days towards the end of our trip. A couple of tents ended up with broken poles and a GSA got blown off the road.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.